“Great Wall, Great Accommodation!”

Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall
Ranked #1 of 1,437 Beijing B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed on aThe Brickyard after the Slow Food Saturday festivities, and thought it was fabulous. I enjoyed my stay immensely. I stayed in a superior room, and the view of the Great Wall was amazing. The hot water ran out after about 10 minutes, but when I brought it up with the staff they were extremely prompt in getting someone to look at it, and it turned out I was the problem and it was fine the rest of my stay. The service was excellent, but I do wish they'd have a schedule for trips to the Great Wall (a shuttle was supposed to be included, but when I asked, I got several different answers about times depending on who I spoke to, and so passed on going to Mutianyu Great Wall because it seemed like a hassle to organise and I had to be back to return to Beijing.)

The nachos are fabulous, same with the spinach and mushroom dip with toast! I wish there were more vegetarian salad options on the menu, but what I did sample was great. The coffee and cookies (available all the time) is a perk, too. I think the return trip driver is an excellent inclusion as well, as I don't drive. The iPhone dock was also a nice inclusion, as well as free wireless.

I also highly recommend the yoga - perfect way to start a Sunday morning, and I'm not a regular. The instructor, Linda, was the best I have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AussieAnita

Reviewed September 23, 2012

One thing you really miss in China is good air but also staying at a place that is clearly designed to help you if you need help, but leave you alone if you don't and enable you to relax, de-stress and remind yourself of the basics in life- like fresh air, wholesome food and simple surroundings.
If you are tired of life in the city, this place is the best by a long way (near Beijing).
The Brickyard does all perfectly, and the minimalist rooms (without TV- fantastic) are a perfect example of the thinking behind this place. So much light in the rooms instantly makes you relax and feel good- and the attention to detail is great (clearly the owner is interested in design!)
I have been there with my small 2.5 year old son on a few occasions as well as for a business conference and finally with a group of families- so I guess I can answer for all- its superb.
With the local walks, and pleasant local village (try the grilled trout with cumin, local rabbit) it has been an invigorating time, and especially as a get way from bustle and fumes in Beijing a reminder of the many great things about China too.
For kids, whilst not being an over the top family oriented hotel- in fact quite "low key", there is plenty to see, to do, and just how it should be, leaving at home the loud toys, ipads and hopefully tantrums!
My son was very happy checking out spiders, beetles in the lovely gardens (yes there is a real lawn too), and seeing birds (not always common in Beijing!) and saying hello to local dogs and friendly villagers who have clearly embraced the eco-retreat and gooffy foreigneres and city Chinese -there is a nice mix of foreigners and Chinese, and I like the fact the place is not too westernised at all, but certainly understands western service expectations-

For a business conference, it is superb (especially the conference room), as not only are your staff relaxed, they can do some serious team building and bonding, with local hikes and visits to nearby local restaurants- always good to have good food available.
Food at the Brickyard is simple, healthy and tasty, especially the breakfast buffet (home made bread, pickles, jam etc)

Overall this is a real gem of a place, yes slightly pricey, but so is a good restaurant, and lets face it you pay for the surroundings and the service, not just the food.

Pete

Room Tip: If you have children, book a room near the open lobby, so you can relax outside with a cheeky glass...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent 2 days at the Brickyard to relax. The place has a peaceful atmosphere and a very pleasant surroundings. The rooms can look a little sparse but the views are fantastic so that makes up for it. They have radios with ipod docks but woe to those who's gonna have the iphone5! For food, would suggest going to the close by Schoolhouse. Recommend!

Room Tip: choose the deluxe room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were recommended this hotel by a friend for our trip to see the Great Wall of China - so pleased we decided to stay. We were in the Chairman Suite (the only room they had free on the date when we booked) for one night. The whole hotel is lovely - really nicely decorated big rooms (quite indulgent in fact - admittedly we were in the Chairman Suite but the other rooms looked on par), lovely staff, well run - and has a fantastic 'feel' about it. The 'eco' elements are evident but certainly do not get in the way of this being a remarkably high standard hotel. We ate in their nearby 'Schoolyard' sister hotel (they can arrange free transfers between them) which was also very good food. Location wise they arranged a transfer for us from Beijing airport and then back to Beijing city the following afternoon- very efficient and they are very responsive and helpful over email. Whilst you are there they can arrange for free shuttles to the Wall (around 5-10min drive) or you can walk if you choose.

Highly recommended. Stay here if you plan on visiting the Great Wall, or just for a relaxing/romantic break. Ambiance, rooms, views, staff, food, amenities etc are all top drawer and will exceed expectations. We will definitely be returning if we have a spare day next time we're around Beijing!!

Room Tip: All rooms seem lovely, the Chairman Suite is ridiculously indulgent....in a good way
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimbaDawes
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Longtime Beijing expat residents, we enjoyed our first-ever overnight at the Brickyard on August 25-26, staying in the Chairman's Suite and Sleeping Buddha rooms (connected by a courtyard). We reveled in the understatedly luxurious surroundings that emphasized integration with the natural environment. My windows framed a chestnut orchard with the nuts almost ready to drop, and the mountain skyline with Great Wall crenellations was JUST visible through the clouds.

We sampled all of the Schoolhouse's menu options, enjoying a great and ample breakfast at the Lodge (the superb date bread worth a special note), lunch at the Xiaoluomen noodle house (noodles and dumplings, all freshly made with local vegetables and oils as garnishes), and the Canteen at the Schoolhouse for a lovely courtyard dinner. Did not expect to get a truly great hamburger there but it outdid my expectations. The walnut-studded brownie was worth the calories too. Prices on the menu are high for China, but in my view correctly reflective of both the quality and freshness of the ingredients - not to be taken for granted in this country - as well as the efforts of the partners to continually reinvest in developing the villages in the area. I was happy at the value for money equation and to support these good efforts.

Being veterans of Chinese efforts at Western service we were pleasantly surprised by the level of English of the staff, comprised of local villagers who do not enjoy the quality of schools that urban Chinese do. Their proactive service attitude of helpfulness, without intrusiveness, shows the impact of intensive training with attention to detail.

I have recommended many visitors and corporate groups to the Schoolhouse and Brickyard and none have been disappointed. I was very glad to finally experience its charms for myself and the overall impression exceeded my high expectations. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel and although we stayed at one of the rental houses, we saw the hotel and its rooms and both are very nice. Everything is very well appointed and clean, and I must say it is divine to have real air conditioning in this country. The staff is wonderful and the food is great in the restaurant.

One are for improvement: when we arrived we were taken in the hotel bus to our house, and deposited on the street, at least 300 feet downhill from the house. The road up to the house was narrow but absolutely navigable, but the driver refused to take us up the hill. This is absolutely unacceptable in a $350 per night establishment (and that was after a Sunday discount). We hired a driver to take us to the airport the next day, and he had no trouble going up the hill in the same size van. The hotel representative, who accompanied us with the van driver the first day, was embarrassed and agreed with our frustration, but she wouldn't say anything to the driver, perhaps because he is more senior than she was? Who knows but it was ridiculous for my family to have to drag six enormous suitcases up a very very steep cobblestone road. I hope to hear the hotel promise not to let this happen again, because I would recommend no one to stay here if they have heavy baggage if they stay in one of the houses.

But let me end on a good note. This is a gorgeous place and an incredibly oasis of peace and serenity not far from Beijing.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Great facilities and attention to detail. The staff was very friendly, courteous and speaks good English. The food was delicious and the atmoshere made for an “oasis” feel in the middle of China. (I particularly liked the nachos. They were better than most Mexican restaurants in the US.) We will definitely come back and spend some more time here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Great Wall. Our room had big windows, comfortable patio and great...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family