“High and Mighty!”

Ranked #8 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
Doha
“High and Mighty!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently stayed on the 70th Floor on a business trip and I have to say this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. OK it is a shame about the well documented air quality in Beijing but once inside everything was fresh and very clean. The room was huge with a bathroom equally as big.

I was very warmly greeted by Angela who was a real credit to the Hotel. I used the very well equipped gym twice during my stay and largely had the place to myself. The machines and free weights were all Life Fitness and in excellent condition, there was a very good swimming pool as well.

Food was overall very good, if a little pricey.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Beijing.

Room Tip: Room 7018 had a spectacular view of the city, when the sun finally pierced through the gloom!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CBGL2008
Linda Y, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear CBGL2008,
It's our pleasure to have you and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. Hope to see you again soon in the near future. :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I must preface this review by stating that I stayed at the hotel during one of the Capital's worst smog weeks. Despite not being able to see further than a few hundred metres from 80 stories up, it was a great hotel.

The airport pick up was efficient and the driver was friendly and informative.

There was a slight hiccup on check-in with a special room bonus package offered through Cathay Pacific, but Angela from the Guest Relations team was able to efficiently sort it out. Cheers Angela!

The room was very plush, and the sofa was logically placed in front of the tv. Due to the hazardous air outside, I dined in my room for most meals. All were excellent.

The breakfast area was calm and efficient, and the Atmosphere bar on L80 had a great vibe with good music.

The hotel is connected to a large shopping centre, with access to two subway lines, making it convenient when taxis are thin on the ground.

The gym and spa were the best I've seen in ages - and I travel a lot.

I will stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jetlagwoofer
Linda Y, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear jetlagwoofer, thanks very much for your review. We are glad to hear that you found our staff helpful and enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon. :)
Nanjing
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My second stay here and much better than last time (1 and a half years ago?)…
Check in on 64th floor and when I need to wait for a while, the rep asked me to enjoy a cup of tea on the couch nearby. (Btw, the Resident Foy's much more 'crowded' than 1.5 years ago, ha)
Caught up with an old friend in the Foy. In fact at first I planned to meet him on 80th, but then their helpful rep told me I can take my friend to the Foy bec the tea, coffee and snacks are free! That makes me feel special and really VIP…
No need to further comment the amazing guest room - big, luxurious, comfortable, convenient…besides, the breathtaking night view of Beijing.
Want to try their Spa but hard to find time…maybe next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sephora s
Dear sephora s, thank you very much for your review. Our Foyer is a benefit that all the guests can enjoy - not only free soft drink and snacks, business guests can also freely use the meeting room for 2 hours per stay. We wish to have you again soon.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Been to a few hotels, shanghai-la is one of the best, nice view, can see most of Beijing when there is no air pollution of course. Good service, great food, love the bar....

There is a restaurant on floor 80th? Don't remember, great steak. Can invite friends to 80th for afternoon tea, and in the evening , same floor, can enjoy fine wine with live band... You can have everything you want in here..

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Summer L
Linda Y, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Summer L, many thanks to your review and appreciate your good comments to our steakhouse Grill 79 which is on the 79th floor. We look forward to seeing you and your friends again soon.
Goppingen, Germany
Reviewed January 18, 2013

For the past 2 years I have been staying at this hotel often. Value for money is unbeatable. The rooms are very clean, the service is perfect! The staff is always very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet leaves nothing to be desired. Also the service at the restauarant "Grill 79" and the quality - top notch!
Who here does not feel comfortable - inconceivable!

Room Tip: level 72, 74 because there is no need to change the elevator
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very very kind staff. Very pleasure stay. Nice gym and nice pool. Only problem is a bit far from subway station and the mainly atractions. Restaurant Stay is a 5 star restaurant and absolutelly amazing!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lilian J
Singapore
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This China World Summit Wing hotel is not to be confused with the older China World hotel nearby. When spoken in Chinese, its discernable although many cab drivers would still get confused - this is known as the "Guu Mao Da Jiu Dian" while the other is known as "Zhong Guo Da Jiu Dian" - to make it more confusing both are being operated by the Shangri La group. I was told by the doorman that the only drawback to the location was the lack of available cab drivers that knew how to get into the driveway proper - but everytime I stood out I did not have any issues getting a taxi within 10-15 mins. They had even advised me to wait indoors while they helped me to get a cab.

I was dropped off at the office wing but no problem I cut through the block and was told the check in was on the 64th floor. The elevator was fast, very fast and it took less than 60 secs to reach the reception (I timed it). My check in was speedy and they helped me bring my luggage up to the 75th floor - which was a really good height looking over Chang An Street. The view on a good day (when Beijing is not covered in smog) is pretty astounding - I had a really good view after it snowed one day.

The hotel room was cosy, nothing less than what I would expect from a member of the Shangri La group, and I was able to adjust the temperature to suit me (it was snowing outside and about -6 deg C). Being a Jade member I had some amenities provided for such as coke, beer and cup noodles. The toilet and shower was also segregated which was a good touch for those staying with their other halves.

Breakfast was on the 79th floor which is also open as a steakhouse in the evening - it was good but wasn't quite as good as the other Shangri La hotels I had been in Shanghai / Beijing - I guess I missed the open kitchen concept. However I was able to order my usual La Mian and omelettes if I wanted to.

Do cater for about 5 mins to get from your room to the lobby though cos of the walking and changing of elevators. I was also told by the staff that the rooms facing Chang An street were the quieter ones because of the proximity from the elevators.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Chang An Street are known to be quieter ones.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business