“Excellent property with appalling customer service”
Review of Lake View Hotel

Lake View Hotel
Ranked #146 of 6,564 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were booked into the Radegast Lakeview for four nights January 4 - 8 2014 and the property itself was exquisite with our room on the 26th floor overlooking the lake (frozen) . The actual room was beautifully presented and would have to say one of the best we have stayed in in China.

However....... the customer service at this hotel is appalling , not once did we see any staff member smile, the Club room we booked included buffet breakfast in the Club lounge each morning but were told on the first morning that breakfast would only be served in the main café on level 1 with no explanation or apology given. The customer service in the breakfast café was non existent . On the second morning we had to find our own table, find the cutlery, table mat , coffee cup and set the table ourselves while several staff members stood by and watched!!!

The breakfast selection was more like a 3 Star hotel .

We also had an issue with the A/C or central heating . With minus 7c temperatures outside, our room was SO hot and stuffy inside which we could not adjust. We spent the entire four nights with the AC turned off and our window open to try and keep the room cool. The beds however are the most comfortable we have ever slept in.

Overall an exquisite room and property which has been seriously let down by appalling customer service.

Room Tip: If you are after a good value for money hotel and don't care about customer service then the Rad...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My colleague booked the Radagest due to a low rate for a 5 star hotel.That was the only good thing about it.Almost nobody could speak English,not even the person anwering the phone for room service. I went to the gym upon arrival, people smoking walking past the gym, children playing around the gym and watching TV at top volume,very annoying. Then i went to have dinner in the Lakeside cafe because they were advertising a Western set menu. Once I sit down I am informed that there is no set menu.I leave and go to the Herbal Garden Chinese restaurant.Very famous and with one award for excellence.They dont understand me in English,however I manage to order. Such a famous restaurant and we are only 3 people in it.I found out when I paid the bill. I ordered 3 dishes and tea, I was charged 600RMB,extremely expensive.The following morning I ordered room service breakfast, they forgot to bring it to my room at 6 am, so I did not have breakfast. Besides, the Lobby lounge,which is not in the lobby but downstairs charges 45 Rmb for a single expresso, no wonder there is nobody in this cafe.The swmming pool ,the door is closed at 8pm,nobody knows why.The spa, 1000 Rmb for a massage,again too expensive compared to other 5 star hotels in China...And,even though I had booked airport pick up a week in advance...they arrived late and the driver did not speak any English.I should have gone to the Crowne Plaza U Town like I did last time

Room Tip: ask for a lakeview room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank juan1999
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We arrived at 5:00 pm on October 01, 2013 and nobody was there to greet us? I have never had this happen at a five star hotel. So drag my bags off the taxi and into the lobby. This is a worn hotel and checked into a dirty room. Weak AC and it never was fixed during my four nights there. If the room wasn't pre-paid I would have looked for another hotel. You get what you paid for with their low rate, a low rated four star but really nice three star. This is NOT a five star hotel. My wife said the spa was nice, so they have that going for them...LOL!

Room Tip: Don't get a room where we had our room...this hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaNative007
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very nice hotel. Across the street from a very nice park, although the rest of the neighbourhood has a bit to be desired. There is a small charge (10rbm I think) to get into the park, but it is worth it. Its a nice way to get away from the hectic streets of Beijing. there are a number of restaurants in the hotel, the staff is friendly and speak English. The breakfast area is quit busy so be prepared to sit with others. The buffet had a wide array of choices. The rooms are quit big. The rooms were very clean and modern. It is a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: We had a corner room so we had plenty of windows with a nice view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marchtraveller
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel is an excellent choice for the business traveler particularly if easy access to Peking U is desired. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The bed is comfortable; there is good seating areas, and a desk with internet connection. Free wifi is available in the lobby. It should be noted that at the time of my visit and connections through Google, such as gmail, was difficult. The breakfast buffet is extensive and serves western taste and chinese traditional food. The staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the inner courtyard. The evening lighting is quite elegant.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

First of all I would like to comment on the location of this hotel. I thought it was in a great location just outside the centre. The taxis are so cheap in Beijing that this is never a problem anyway. I would recommend getting the address written down by the concierge for the taxi drivers who do not know where the hotel is.

I stayed on the executive floor which was great and the rooms were unbelievably comfortable, especially the beds! Our room was on the 25th floor which gave us a really nice view over the lake.

The staff speak a good level of English and they were able to help us out with anything that we needed.

I look forward to coming back to Beijing and staying here as I haven't slept as good since!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 28, 2013

With the completion of Subway line 10, and the Panjiayuan stop, much of the complaints about location seam now to be moot. It still isn't in the middle of everything, but with a 15 minute walk it is close to the Panijiayuan Market and Subway with which you can get everywhere.

The executive floor room we had was very large with a very nice work area and the softest sheets and most comfortable bed we had in China. The basement pool is very relaxing. To decompress is what we wanted after 5 non-stop days staying in Beijing's Hutongs, the three nights the Radegast did the trick.

Room Tip: Paying just a little more for the Executive floor rooms is worth it, and Breakfast is included. &qu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple