“Very nice hotel, location was an issue”
Review of Lake View Hotel

Lake View Hotel
Ranked #143 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Ottawa, Canada
“Very nice hotel, location was an issue”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is very nice, new, modern, clean and has good amenities. If you're looking to spend a lot of time in your hotel room and want a clean hotel that looks and feels nice, this is a good place to be. There were only a half a dozen English TV channels in our room which kind of sucked, most of them were channels like CNN, MSNBC and BBC. The staff here was decently friendly, the only issue is that their level of English wasn't really all that great. This can cause problems. They tried to help but at times the people at reception just weren't able to help us as much as we'd like. We stayed here for six nights, and the gym was closed for five of those nights which was a little annoying. Another interesting incident was when a lady walked into our room to drop off a card while me and my wife were in bed sleeping. She said sorry but it was really weird.

The breakfast here was pretty good too, though the food didn't seem like it was fresh every morning, it was still pretty descent.

The biggest problem with this hotel is the location. Nobody in Beijing has any idea where this pl;ace is. Anytime we'd head out to shop or eat or go sight seeing, it was a real problem trying to get back. Even though we had maps, hotel cards, and Chinese notes with the location of our hotel and directions written in Chinese saying "Take me to this hotel", nobody (cabbies) would want to take us back to our hotel. If they were willing to go, they'd want to go "off meter" and want to charge us 5 times what it cost us to get there. This was pretty annoying, and getting back to our hotel became a real challenge, it became stressful and that's not what you want when you're on vacation. We had to learn how to use the subway system to get back to our hotel, and the nearest subway station is a 25 minute walk from the hotel. Even the locals who were standing around 5 minutes from this hotel had no idea where it was which I found shocking.

Overall, the hotel itself is nice, clean, new, and I had no issues with it. However, because of the location and the transportation issues associated with it, I didn't have that great a time here. The last two days of our trip were spent hanging around the area near the hotel, where there isn't much to do because getting back was such an issue.

I'd give this place 3.5 stars.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bartz Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
portugal
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is a large very modern hotel overlooking Lake Longtan about 20 minutes bus ride from Tianamen Square (bus 37 direct for 1 RMB). We had booked an executive room with lake view but were first shown a room without lake view which was very hot 30 degrees and the airconditioning did not work. As we had read earlier reviewers who had the same problem we decided to complain. At first we were offered a free standing machine in the room, but then a very helpful member of staff said she would like to show us another room. She upgraded us to an executive suite with wonderful lake view out of its picture windows. The room was large with free wired internet, kettle, TV, huge bathroom with fluffy towels, small dressing room and best of all a huge luxurious bed, incredibly comfortable with good quality bedlinen.

The buffet breakfast is very good and the staff are helpful and most speak English. Although slightly out of the centre I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to have a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the extra money. We were told that the air conditioning works better on t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickyportugal
kuwait
Reviewed April 17, 2012

a new clean hotel, the only thing negative is the location, it will take 30-45 minutes to reach city center in morning and after in the evining no Taxi will accept to go to the hotel using meter - meter cost around 30 RMB but taxi drivers asking for 70 - 100 RMB due to traffic.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank hsq8
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I picked up this hotel after a careful search on Trip Advisor, for my 5 days vacation trip to Beijing with my wife and it appeared to be one of the best deals in town in terms of quality/price ratio. We were a bit disappointed. The major issue about this hotel is the location, it is about 5 km away from the center, quite far from any subway station (2,5 km) and getting back to hotel by night, with taxi, revealed to be quite a challenge, as taxi drivers dont'h have the faintest idea of where it is and even with hotel business cards showing address in chinese, it was tough. On top of that, the air con in the room was completely fake, it was quite hot and there was no other way to cool down the room than opening the windonws. We were there in April and it was ok, but in winter I think it can be a huge problem (reported by many other visitors on TA, by the way). The bathroom had ceiling walls, covered only with wooden curtains which didn't guarantee a lot of privacy (for those who care about this), it is common in lower class chinese hotels but in this one, with 4 stars and a prices on the higher side, I think it should not be that way. For the rest, the wifi connection worked about 70% of the time (randomly) and the sauna was turned off. On the positive side, we had a great meal at the herbal chinese restaurant, for a decent price, and staff understood english, so communication was not a problem. I would not come back, at least for a holiday, mainly for the position, I would prefer a more central hotel or at least one which has a subway station at a walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marco_Germani
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Executive Room with Lake view on 25th floor: Impossible to breath in bathroom due to strong smell of mold and moisture. The same mold smell in shower of swimming pool.
Room temperature was above 27 Celsius day and night. You can heat the room further by turning ventilation on though you cannot cool it. You can add to traffic noise by opening window and get some “fresh air”.

3 Thank MansoorMirza
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The Hotel service is excellent. It is situate at 5 min walk from Peking U campus. Peking U is next to Tsinghua U as well. Going to City Centre takes 20 to 30 min of subway at RMB 2. Well worth it. The food is fine. Room is comfortable and modern. The only thing you have to remember is when you are reminded to put down a deposit, you may not have enough credit if you dine and drink too much. No problem, pay by credit card as well.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. No problem at all.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a superb hotel, with wonderful amenities and staff who simply can not do enough for their guests...Let down, in my opinion, by some front desk staff who seems less than concerned with resolving guests concerns.

I recently stayed at the Radegast Lake View with my daughter and her son on a family vacation. Booked six months prior to the trip. I requested Two Double rooms, non smoking, adjoining or on the same floor, and because I booked online I followed up my booking with a telephone call from Australia in October 2011 confirming the booking and requesting breakfast be included...Since I had booked two rooms for seven nights I considered this a not unreasonable request.

Upon our arrival, Further, I was informed the Hotel had no recollection of my request for the breakfast Buffett to be included in theTariff, and the person working on the front desk, added that no rooms had the breakfast buffet included in their tariff....Something I was to find out later to be simply and factually untrue....

It tok me two days to finally get my family on the same floor in no smoking rooms, and only then after having to ask to see a manager who upgrared th efamly to an executive room on the 26th floor, but even then one room was a single and the other double.....AND we still had to pay for the Breakfast Buffett (which IS included in all Executive room tariffs.....)

The icing on the cake was when checkiing out, I had to pay a 1Yuan bill for a local relephone call to a tourist guide th ehotel had recommended...

Is my view and opinions an overly negative one..perhaps.....I wish it were otherwise, but when one saves for the trip of a lifetime with his family...over such great distance, and one makes all the calls and does the right thing, and still gets ripped of....what else is left.

Would I recommend this Hotel? At one level, yes, in a heartbeat ......on another level, I would urge great caution in dealing with this hotel and its representative, get EVERYTHING confirmed in writing by them before you pay ONE cent...Otherwise look elsewhere, which is a great pity because the staff you meet in the dining rooms, the waiting staff, the others are simple wonderful, but let down by a few others....

Upon arrival We were