“Beijing Fish Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Peking Garden Boutique Hotel
Ranked #72 of 1,287 Beijing B&B and Inns
“Beijing Fish Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights at the end of last month. I can honestly say it was everything I expected. I loved my room, the courtyard, it was quiet, the location great and very handy to railway station. Lily is everything and more then the comments already listed on here about her. The attention to detail, exceptional customer service. I really felt quite at home. I have no sense of direction (get lost walking around the block) so I did get quite confused trying to navigate my way to and from the property even with my lovely local friend who came to stay with me. So glad Vivienne was with me on our first day of arrival, there is no way I would have found it otherwise. In terms of value for money I would definately stay again. We did not eat breaky each day as our tours began quite early so I cannot comment on the food aspect but everything else was fantastic. Whenever I travel the main concerns for me are the cleanliness of rooms and I was very happy with everything at this property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TvlBug67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Fish Inn is a small, real hutong courtyard hotel around the corner of Xisi en Xidan and pretty near the centre of the city. We enjoyed it very much although standard rooms are tiny. We moved to a great, double room during our stay. The staff is great, speaking English very well and very friendly and helpful. We had no problem at all to find the hotel. It's just two corners from the main road, Xisi.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are really small, so if you can afford it ask for the bigger room or the double room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank G J M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Very quiet and beautiful place in the traditional Beijing hutong. Not far from subway station (5-10 mins walk) and the staff is nice and helpful. Only drawback is that not most taxi drivers know the place, but its possible call the owners so they explain the driver how to go there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruruu2012
Den Haag
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Courtyard hotel for a great price. Has the feel and look of an B&B, but the breakfast is not included (only a few RMB, nothing special). Friendly service. As it can't be reached by car, it is sometimes hard to get a taxi driver who knows the place or wants to take you there (hard to explain that it's OK to drop you nearby, would suggest to give the driver an address on the main street.)
Room we had was rather small, but that was no problem for us, as our suitcases arrived a couple of days later, after we moved to another hotel (as planned - always like to try more hotels in one place) ... ;-s

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I just returned from a trip to Beijing and stayed 4 nights at the Fish in from September 2nd through the 5th.

Most of these things have been said in previous reviews but I'll summarize my thoughts too.

The hotel is in an excellent location. Short walk to Line 4 of the Subway and about in the middle of Xisi and Lingjing stations. Also, very easy to find a bus or a taxi on Xisi S St. You can also walk very easily over to the Financial district near Wudinghou St.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. I asked for a coffee cup to make my own coffee and they provided it happily.

The rooms are very small....there's no getting around that. And if you want to be picky, there are certainly things you can be critical about. But, in my opinion, for the money, the room was nice. Shower was clean and functional. Bathroom was nice. I'm used to a big soft mattress so I found the bed rather hard. However, I'm told it was typical for a Chinese mattress.

The hotel was very quiet during our stay there. Courtyard is nice and peaceful.

The hotel can be a little difficuly to find. A little advance planning is very helpful. The hutongs that you walk down to get to Fish Inn are nice and clean and felt very safe.

Overall, I would recommend the Fish Inn. I think it's an excellent value.

Room Tip: Have a map of the location when you try to find it. It can be helpful for the taxi driver too.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DJP_Mpls
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I spent 10 days in this hotel with our 3 kids (11, 8 and 5 years old). We loved our staying really much: it was like living with a family from Beijing, experiencing the real Beijing atmosphere. Kids played "UNO" cards with Lily every night, we had breakfast - and very often, dinner - in the courtyard, and we loved looking at the birds' nest below the roof and talking with Lily, who is very professional and kind.
The hotel is central (even with the kids, we could reach the Forbidden City by foot: it's a LONG stroll, but we did it) and very close to shops, restaurants, and the metro. The rooms are quiet, and the surroundings are "genuine" Beijing hutongs (you must like the genre...).
The only negative aspect is the very limited space in the rooms: we could not even unpack our baggage since we had no wardrobe where putting clothes. This was not a problem for us, but might be for travelers who need a spacious room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Viviana_from_Genova
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for only 1 night with my partner and am very happy with their services. Firstly, my flight landed at 1am. So i killed a few hours in the Airport and arrived at the hotel at 8am. Even though the checkin time was 12pm and no clean room was available the hotel receptionist very sweetly offered us espresso and got someone to clean our room asap so we could rest. We were very tired as the last few days before our check in we had extremely tight schedule so we were grateful that the staff went above their day to day task and rushed the room for us.

Secondly, if you want any information on what to do and where to go in Beijing..you can ask the staff..they speak English pretty well compared to most other hotel and are more than happy to help out!!

Thirdly, once we checked out of the hotel. We started walking to the nearest subway station which was about 10minutes away from the Inn...and as we arrived the subway station we heard our names being screamed at!!! We turned back and it was the hotel receptioninst!! We had left our passports in the hotel and she ran all the way to pass it to us..this is extraordinary services!! The poor receptionist was sweating and breathless from the running and simply said you forgot your passport. We thanked her profusely and she just smiled and left.

We highly recommend this Inn to anyone visiting Beijing for the first time. Also, very close to the Inn there are plenty of eatery and 1 very closeby 24 convenience shop that sells your day to day stuff and junk food. Pretty central and very traditional looking place.

Thanks Fish Inn!! Keep up the smiles and hopefully i'll stay there soon!!

Jason.

Room Tip: They only have 7 rooms. SO you're lucky if you get any rooms!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends