“Wonderful stay”

Peking Garden Boutique Hotel
Ranked #18 of 1,419 Beijing B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I just returned from a trip to Beijing and stayed 4 nights at the Fish in from September 2nd through the 5th.

Most of these things have been said in previous reviews but I'll summarize my thoughts too.

The hotel is in an excellent location. Short walk to Line 4 of the Subway and about in the middle of Xisi and Lingjing stations. Also, very easy to find a bus or a taxi on Xisi S St. You can also walk very easily over to the Financial district near Wudinghou St.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. I asked for a coffee cup to make my own coffee and they provided it happily.

The rooms are very small....there's no getting around that. And if you want to be picky, there are certainly things you can be critical about. But, in my opinion, for the money, the room was nice. Shower was clean and functional. Bathroom was nice. I'm used to a big soft mattress so I found the bed rather hard. However, I'm told it was typical for a Chinese mattress.

The hotel was very quiet during our stay there. Courtyard is nice and peaceful.

The hotel can be a little difficuly to find. A little advance planning is very helpful. The hutongs that you walk down to get to Fish Inn are nice and clean and felt very safe.

Overall, I would recommend the Fish Inn. I think it's an excellent value.

Room Tip: Have a map of the location when you try to find it. It can be helpful for the taxi driver too.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJP_Mpls

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I spent 10 days in this hotel with our 3 kids (11, 8 and 5 years old). We loved our staying really much: it was like living with a family from Beijing, experiencing the real Beijing atmosphere. Kids played "UNO" cards with Lily every night, we had breakfast - and very often, dinner - in the courtyard, and we loved looking at the birds' nest below the roof and talking with Lily, who is very professional and kind.
The hotel is central (even with the kids, we could reach the Forbidden City by foot: it's a LONG stroll, but we did it) and very close to shops, restaurants, and the metro. The rooms are quiet, and the surroundings are "genuine" Beijing hutongs (you must like the genre...).
The only negative aspect is the very limited space in the rooms: we could not even unpack our baggage since we had no wardrobe where putting clothes. This was not a problem for us, but might be for travelers who need a spacious room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Viviana_from_Genova
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for only 1 night with my partner and am very happy with their services. Firstly, my flight landed at 1am. So i killed a few hours in the Airport and arrived at the hotel at 8am. Even though the checkin time was 12pm and no clean room was available the hotel receptionist very sweetly offered us espresso and got someone to clean our room asap so we could rest. We were very tired as the last few days before our check in we had extremely tight schedule so we were grateful that the staff went above their day to day task and rushed the room for us.

Secondly, if you want any information on what to do and where to go in Beijing..you can ask the staff..they speak English pretty well compared to most other hotel and are more than happy to help out!!

Thirdly, once we checked out of the hotel. We started walking to the nearest subway station which was about 10minutes away from the Inn...and as we arrived the subway station we heard our names being screamed at!!! We turned back and it was the hotel receptioninst!! We had left our passports in the hotel and she ran all the way to pass it to us..this is extraordinary services!! The poor receptionist was sweating and breathless from the running and simply said you forgot your passport. We thanked her profusely and she just smiled and left.

We highly recommend this Inn to anyone visiting Beijing for the first time. Also, very close to the Inn there are plenty of eatery and 1 very closeby 24 convenience shop that sells your day to day stuff and junk food. Pretty central and very traditional looking place.

Thanks Fish Inn!! Keep up the smiles and hopefully i'll stay there soon!!

Jason.

Room Tip: They only have 7 rooms. SO you're lucky if you get any rooms!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jase1983
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stay here last winter and the experience was good. the location is great, near two metro stations, and bus (if you know the city) you can take just one bus and in 20 min. be in the Hutong tourist area.
Understanding that the rooms are adapted for western costumers with western toilets and A/C and heater in the floor. The rooms are small but for the price is ok an small room.
The people in the reception make you feel at home and give you good advice about shows and tours or transportation if (like me) you like to take adventure and get a little lost.

Room Tip: Print a map with the location to show to the taxi driver and give to the hotel the time for your arr...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katoteos
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Fish inn is located in Dayuan hutong in Beijing (their website says xiaoyuan...I'm not sure if that is an alternative spelling, but to get here you walk into what a sign clearly marks as Dayuan hutong). I stayed here with my girlfriend and we were looking to spend most time out of the hotel, checking out the sites and enjoying Beijing nights for the weekend.

The staff is very friendly and helpful here, although during the night shift we experienced some communication barrier. There is a 24 hour supermarket within walking distance and the subway stop is quite close by. Our room was more or less clean and the wifi works. The hot water is lovely and the a/c can keep you cool.These things made it a solid second choice.

I'll explain why I didn't find it to be a good first choice for our purposes. First and foremost, the location is shunned by taxis for some reason. The subway closes at 11 or 12 and so if you go out, you're at the whim of taxi drivers, about 4/5 of whom, for some reason, refuse to come to this area ( we hand them the direction card that we got at the hotel and they drive away). This has become very frustrating, mainly because we are out past that time and we are forced to bargain with unlicensed taxis...this is made worse when we are in an area where taxis are few and far between. We really have been dreading this and now plan our nights around being able to get back without too much headache.

While this hutong is indeed safe and quiet, you should not stay here if you are looking for nightlife hutongs such as nanluogo xijian. This is the local side of town and there's no nightlife within walking distance. We are 25 years of age so this was a concern for us, it might not be for you.

The room was very, very tiny. We paid about 350 RMB per night, including a 15% booking charge from booking.com (I'd recommend getting fish inns number and booking directly to save that fee), so I suppose that might not entitle one to a spacious room. If you have a lot of luggage expect it to be cramped (we stayed in room wood, which is one of five standard rooms; they have two bigger rooms called sun and moon if you need the space).

The room also smelled like odd cleaning chemicals. While it could be worse, we did invest in some incense to light when we got back to the room.

Overall, we leave without feeling robbed. We ultimately got what we came for, which is why I feel comfortable recommending it as a good back up. Otherwise I would recommend staying somewhere in dongcheng. If you want to be in the heart of the street action in a hostel with a breath taking lobby, check out Peking international youth hostel.

Jared

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Everything was professionally done, for example we got a nice email from the hotel welcoming us and giving us explicit instructions of how to get there (including a map and directions in chinese). I should say that finding the place is quite tricky, best would be to call even if you are with a taxi driver. There are 24-hour convenience stores and restaurants close by. Fish Inn was able to arrange for an excellent tour of great wall at Mutiyanyu, we were impressed by the cost and quality (expensive hotels charge an arm and a leg for pretty much the same deal, maybe in a fancier vehicle). The courtyard in the middle was fantastic and all our special needs were met. We went with a small child and it worked out great!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lambda_by_mu
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The inn was difficult to find first time (and second!) but the locals are happy to help point you in the right direction. The Chinese are very welcoming and friendly. We never felt threatened even when walking in dark alleys at night. The rooms are small and basic but clean with plentiful hot water. Very quiet at night considering the location is relatively central Beijing. The inn is 7min walk from underground which is cheap and easy to use. The best feature are the reception staff (especially Lily) who go beyond helpful organising show tickets, tours and train tickets (essential for our complicated journey). Excellent service. Oh and free wireless and a computer for guest use.

Room Tip: Show the map given (provided on booking) to a taxi driver to find the first time.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple