“one of the best in bBeijing”

Peking opera Appreciation-Grandslam (China) Co.,Ltd.
Ranked #198 of 405 Tours in Beijing
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I would go back just for this!!! Very unique and amazing. I agree is not for everyone, especially who has no sense for art in foreign cultures.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have been to the Peking Opera twice and it gets no better - but that's its charm. It is traditional singing which plays badly to European/US ears. Put that aside and watch the performance for what it is and then you realise it ain't bad at all. The end of the show is worth the wait when the audience is treated to some meticulous stick kicking.
The audiences are dwindling to only a dozen or so a night, and the atmosphere therefore isn't that great. Chinese nationals barely make a noise, leave early and spend most of their time texting and playing games on their mobile phones so sit well away from them to avoid the distractions.
The cast is small, but the make up, costumes and overall delivery is good. Lasts just over the hour.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Unlike any opera you have known. Don't go for the music it will hurt your ears. But go for the costumes and makeup and the experience. It's a dying art and you may not have the chance again

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I really feel bad giving this such a low score, however it is only the honest opinion of myself and the other 11 members of my tour group.

When we arrived in Beijing after a long day of travelling, the first place we were ushered to was the Peking Opera. It was the very last thing we needed in our state of exhaustion and hunger.

The larger part of this show is the shrill and often hysterical singing of the female lead characters. There is a genuine element of humour and pantomime to the Peking Opera, however this particular sound proved to be at first hysterically funny and then unbearable. Some of our group walked out midway through the performance to escape it.

The sword fighting scenes were very impressive but made up only a smaller part of the extravaganza. Overall I felt that I didn't need to sit through 2 hours to sample this to my contentment - half an hour would have been ok or not at all.

I have an interest in all things cultural and other-worldly but sadly, this was not to my liking.

1  Thank SuzyKyu
Reviewed June 22, 2012

With absolutely no offense to cultural sensitivities, you need to go in for this prepared, particularly if you are not attuned to Chinese opera. While visually it is rich, the high squeaking, largely incomprehensible exchanges and the long drawn out 'drama' can get to you. I, actually, had to suffer killer glares and kicks under the table from spouse and teen daughter for taking them to this.

Just want you to know, it's not everybody's cup of tea to sit out 2 hours and go through something that you don't even completely follow. It's touted as a tourist attraction, but beware before you sign up for a fairly high priced ticket!

1  Thank PSIndia