“What a treat”

Ranked #5 of 12,817 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Houhai
Description: We are a reservations-only dining experience offering a set menu of ten courses and two wine pairings in an open kitchen where you'll learn the secrets of Chinese cuisine.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Took family visiting Beijing. What a treat! Great service, the home style sharing works really well and the food is amazing. Book early and try to get a seat at the table in the kitchen area. It is 10 courses and just as you're thinking you can't eat anything better, the dessert is AMAZING!!! Black Sesame will be a compulsory attraction for all future visitors I have to Beijing. Book well in advance.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I live in Beijing and this by far is the best restaurant here. Very difficult to find as it is pretty much next door to the Wiggly bar in the hutongs. The restaurant have basically two large tables. I would advise asking for the one in the kitchen where you can watch them cooking. There is even a mirror tilted 45 degrees so you can see the food being prepared.

The price is all inclusive so for 300rmb it includes all food and wine or beer.

1  Thank joshj739
Reviewed October 30, 2013

All of the great reviews are genuine. This place is a delight. As others have mentioned, you feel as if you are at a great dinner party with travelers from all over the world. We had a wonderful mix of conversations while watching the cooking of some fabulous food. I do wish that I had taken the time before traveling to get better directions, but we figured it out. Just prepare for the difficulty in locating this place and enjoy the journey as there is some great street shopping in the area. Also, make your reservation well in advance as it is very difficult to secure seats at this very small place.

1  Thank Tana H
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stumbled across BSK on Tripadvisor and wrote a begging email in an attempt to get a seat on a recent trip to Beijing. Being a single gal traveler, they accommodated me, and I was able to try the experience before hopping a plane back home.

I had to battle traffic and the vagaries of Beijing's hutongs to find it, but glad I did.

It is literally like having dinner in someone's home, but with a five star chef at the helm. Hosted by Michelle and assisted by the bubbly Coco, the eight course meal was a tour of Cantonese cuisine. All is served with Australian wine and a great commentary. Not once did I feel out of place on my own, the vibe was laid back.

At my "table" were people from Shanghai, US, Australia and further afield. Standout dishes included the pork belly and the dumplings. At Y300 for eight courses and wine...also the best value you can find.

This has to be the one dining experience you should try in Beijing if you are a foodie. Just wonderful.

2  Thank rachelannmorris
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We managed to find BSK and yes it was quite an adventure to find. We found many adventures in China and this was a great one to add to the list. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at BSK. We sat at a table with a lady from the US embassy in Beijing and her parents from Napa Valley and a couple from Switzerland that were living in Hong Kong with their 2 beautiful daughters. What great conversation we had over dinner. The food was amazing with 8 full courses. The dessert of black sesame ice cream with fried bananas and caramel sauce was heavenly. We received impeccable service and Coco was a standout. We felt as if we had been invited into someones home in Beijing for dinner and we loved the experience. Thank you for the best evening out we had in all of China

1  Thank John B

Been to Black Sesame Kitchen? Share your experiences!