“Smith family”

Black Sesame Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 12,627 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Houhai
Description: We are a reservations-only dining experience offering a set menu of ten courses and two wine pairings in an open kitchen where you'll learn the secrets of Chinese cuisine.
“Smith family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a brilliant meal in comfortable surroundings with great company. Wine was great accompaniment to the food.watch out for the spicy squid!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Sydney
“great food and fabulous wines - an unusual combination in Beijing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were extremely lucky to be offered places due to a last minute cancellation for this wonderful dining experience. A group of three, we thoroughly enjoyed an entertaining evening with dishes from various provinces, excellent Western Australian wine and most enjoyable company from five others at our table, with an interesting variety of backgrounds.

We were met on a vibrant walking street and escorted into the hutong, set up with two tables in two rooms, one of which had a wonderful view of the kitchen. Occupying the places of a last minute cancellation, we were in the latter room, but were invited into the kitchen to watch the cooking of the various courses whenever we wished. Numerous dishes in various styles were offered in generous portions. True to their promise, good quality wine was also served in generous quantities.

A regular visitor to Beijing, I will certainly return to this wonderful restaurant, but will be sure to book well in advance.

Brisvegas!
“Not just a meal but an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife booked us to the main kitchen table as a treat for my son and I. What a wonderful year it was. We received amazing service all evening from Koko plus the great view of Chef pulling the 7 courses together for us. On top of that the convivial nature of the table for 10 meant we meet and shared the meal with some wonderful people from around the world.
The food was outstanding and as per previous reviews was an absolute bargain.
I would not hesitate in recommending this place toany visitor to Bejing and when I return I will be attending again.
Lastly
Beware the shots with Chef they have a sting in their tail!

1 Thank thecrankytraveller
Perth, Australia
“Sensational dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were so lucky to get a cancellation for two seats at this amazing place. I recommend you book ahead for both the classes and the meals. Black Sesame presents beautiful and generous servings of freshly prepared food using traditional techniques and ingredients. The staff are wonderful and talk you through each dish as it is served. The wine is delicious (maybe I was biased as it came from western Australia) and generously served too! We sat a a table of eight (there are only two tables in the tiny place) and met some lovely people - a highlight of our trip. After the meal the staff recommended a tiny microbrewery for us to try which we did...also fabulous! At 300rmb per person including drinks this place is the bargain of the century!

2 Thank salen1212
Leeds, UK
“Good food and good company”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a solo traveler in recent years I have often searched out what are called supper clubs, underground restaurants, closed door restaurants. I find they usually offer great food and a chance to meet interesting fellow travelers. This is probably the nearest equivalent in Beijing.

I really enjoyed the evening, the company, the food, wine and friendly service. The dishes in what I suppose in the west we would call a "tasting menu" vary from the good to the excellent. They offer a chance to sample different styles of Chinese food.

But I do feel that a lot of the reviews on this site go way over the top in their praise. This shouldn't be anywhere near being rated as No. 1 restaurant in Beijing. Its not really even a restaurant. I enjoyed every dish, but whilst I wouldn't claim to be an expert in Chinese cuisine I doubt that any of the dishes would be considered as particularly special by the locals, they are just ordinary dishes executed very well and served in a way that pleases Westerners.

So I really enjoyed my evening. I'd happily go again if I ever visit Beijing again. But please go on the basis of what it actually is.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank nickfear

Been to Black Sesame Kitchen? Share your experiences!