“Good quality food and good view”
Review of Capital M

Capital M
Ranked #33 of 12,718 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chongwenmen
“Good quality food and good view”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Been there ones with my wife for anniversary.we was site in balcony,staff was very nice and food tasty.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Phenomenal location”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great and phenomenal location! The food and service is good a bit pricy but who cares if you go for a romantic dinner. Their wine list is the best I have seen in China and the desserts have blown me away. Hard to get a window table as they are booked long in advance.
Over all a good experience.

• Visited April 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had Sunday brunch at Capital M. It is a high class restaurant, but that is reflected in the price. The decor and ambience is very good. The Maitre D on the day we were there did a great job, but our waiter was either badly trained or else didn't care. The food was below the standard one would expect for the price. My wife did not finish her main course which the Maitre D observed and offered a free desert. We have recently eaten at M on the Bund in Shanghai were the food was clearly better

• Visited May 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Yet another divine M restaurant!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have had the amazing good fortune to enjoy M on the Fringe in Hong Kong since it opened in 1889 (alas to have closed 20 years later due to leasing issues), M on the Bund in Shanghai weekly (and the Glamour Bar as well) when my husband/I lived there 2004-2008 (and flew in from Beijing for my 40th birthday party earlier in the decade...) and finally had the opportunity to enjoy Capital M on a recent visit to Beijing. This restaurant utterly lives up to the M brand we have all come to know, love and expect from each of the venues.

I was visiting Beijing on business with three visiting expat friends who I offered to show the cultural side of Beijing to and of course, we had to include dinner at Capital M. I had called ahead and booked an outdoor table but even in mid-April, it was freezing so the manager planned to place us in one of the nicest window settings but we preferred to sit near the gas-lit fire. The atmosphere is typically M: spacious yet cozy, decadent, stunningly beautiful with both extremely modern and art deco decor; the ambience is simply, wonderfully over-whelming. I would have loved to sit outside on this specific occasion for the view but the inside interiors are still very romantic and inviting.

We started out with a glass of well chilled prosecco, and each of us had two courses. I have always adored the food at all M restaurants; it is what I would call gourmet comfort food. The servings are generous and the dedication to full yet delicate flavors is a constant. The menu is primarily European but there are also Turkish, Mediterranean, Moroccan and Scandinavian dishes. I absolutely love the mezze platter (which you can order small or large), and the ladies thoroughly enjoyed an organic salad, "a few of our favorite things" which on this night included a red pepper mousse/olive and almond tapenade/hot spinach & feta pies/vinegar'd vegetables, and a hearty seafood soup.

M's is famous for its main courses and I can never decide which is my favorite. Two of the ladies shared a "crispy suckling pig" and the "slowly baked, salt-encrusted selected leg of lamb" and practically fought with each other over who got more of what. The other lady just about inhaled her selection of hot-house smoked salmon (to die for) and I tend to eat vegetarian so I chose "a variety of eggplant dishes" (heavenly: eggplant moussaka, smokey eggplant (so good), and Imam Bayaldi). We chose a reasonably priced (for a restaurant of this caliber) Aust. Pinot Noir (or two...). Service was efficient, professional and courteous.

The ladies were all too full for dessert but I insisted that they partake of M's infamous Pavlova which is simply perfection. Since the days of M on the Fringe though, my favorite dessert has always been M's Turkish coffee with homemade Turkish delights (gooey and fresh and more than enough to take home for breakfast the next morning) with freshly made baklava.

Between the fabulous food and the always-alluring ambience of the venue, Capital M lives up to its reputation and history of "divineness"! This restaurant is perfect for any/all occasions (and they also serve lunch, weekend brunch, afternoon tea, a tasting menu, and of course, there are always the yearlong literary and special events....). I am very grateful to say that most of my expat life in Asia has been lived near an "M" restaurant...with incredibly memories created and culinary experiences that never disappoint.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Asiaexpat81
Rochester NY
“Extraordinary in all respects”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I loved the food, which is best described as Chinese fusion. Service was intuitive and friendly. Wonderful location near the Forbidden City. It is expensive, especially if wine is selected. Their wine list is the best I have seen in China.

Visited May 2013