“Juyong Pass of Great Wall”

Juyong Pass of Great Wall
Book In Advance
More Info
$53.00*
and up
Private Tour: Half-Day Tour to Great Wall at Juyongguan
Ranked #13 of 1,616 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: 12 miles north of Changping and 37 miles north of Beijing. Apparently closest portion of Great Wall to Beijing.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Easier to climb. Met a lot of elderly folks who wanted to visit the great wall and this is a much easier incline compared to some of the other sections of the great wall.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,244)
All reviews
"visit china"
"section"
in 184 reviews

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This site, as with the Pyramids, Machu Picchu and Masada (among others) captured my imagination from the time I first saw pictures of them when I was just a young boy. This section of the wall closest to Beijing, consists of several buildings and towers. The beacon tower is 1700+ steps up with the steps varying in height from 3 inches to 14+ inches. Having run marathons and still running, I knew how important it was to pace myself. Set a cadence for myself and did not push myself to the point of having to stop. Same as I did at Masada in 2010. Of the 29 in the group only 4 made it to the beacon tower. Some areas, the steps were nothing but monsters. 14 inches steps for an entire section. Very few slight inclines. A great experience and I was happy that I was still in shape enough to do it. Two days later I felt it in my quads. If you have a lot of time and have no serious underlying medical or physical problems, you can make it to the beacon tower. Otherwise, don't over do it. Spectacular view from the top.
There are stairs for sure but no elevators. This place is not going to be ADA compliant ever.
Would have been better if it was just a little clearer day. But, this is just another item to cross off my " Bucket List".

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This section of the Wall is not crowded and made for great photos. The climb is very steep in some places with irregular spaced steps, but with a few rest stops we made it to the top. There are some Buddist carvings on a stone platform in the middle of the pass. My Chinese friend told me that they are Chairman Mao's quotes and refer to the importance of the Wall to the Chinese people. Something like "you're not a man unless you journey to the top of the Wall". At the base, there is a Temple and a small market; slightly hokey and commerical but not enough to deter from the trip.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We visited the section of the wall after lunch, and thankfully, it was not too crowded. Weather was perfect, so we had everything going for us when we made our way up. It was a steep climb, especially coming from the first to the second towers, and steps were uneven, but you can always pause and take a rest in between to catch your breath.

I was really, really more worried about going down. I'm not really afraid of heights, but I'm very clumsy and was terrified that I would trip and fall, so I took much longer going down than climbing up. But truly, the view was worth all the effort, and it's just amazing to be able to experience one of the wonders of the world.

One word of caution, make sure to pace yourself when climbing the wall... don't overexert yourself and be mindful of what your body can take. During our visit to the wall, my friends and I saw a lot of police on the 2nd tower, and it turns out somebody passed away, most likely due to a heart attack. :( Very tragic, but what's more sad is that it doesn't seem to be a rare occurrence...so just be careful, it doesn't matter if you climb 300 steps or 3 steps, safety first.