The Great wall of Jiankou-The Great Wall Alternative

from $68.00
from $66.00
from $32.00
More Info
All reviews jiankou section restored section hiking shoes up hill afraid of heights an incredible experience watch tower bucket list t shirts starting point great hike awe inspiring steep climb once in a lifetime cable car bring water china trip
Selected filters
Reviewed June 4, 2019

I visited both the Badaling section and the Jiankou section when I went to China. A friend hired a guide and driver to get us to the Jiankou section. We hiked in shorts and sneakers, nothing super elaborate. We took our time going both up and down.

This is an extremely rugged section, and there are sections where you essentially need to clim as web, although they're not truly vertical, merely very steep -- I have no particular skills, and did not find it hard to get up and down. I did, however, come down on my butt.

We were there on a beautiful day. The scenery, and the wall, were both absolutely breathtaking. I feel incredibly fortunate to have made it to the "real" wall.

A couple of notes, though:

1. A guide really isn't optional for this excursion. Whether you go with a group or hire a private guide, you need a guide.
2. I really would not have wanted to be on those rocks in rain, let alone snow/ice. Don't underestimate the potential dangers of this section of the wall.
3. If you are afraid of heights, this may not be the section of the wall for you.
4. I would not bring young kids.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed May 21, 2019

Less crowds made it easy to really take the Wall in. Lovely views - we were very luck with the weather.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed May 8, 2019

We had a private guide and he spoke English, he gave us information about a temple and more. Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with me and my phone's memory was full and I could not manage to use the external memory so I was there and could not record anything. That is why I have no idea what was the name of the place. There was a beautiful view. There was a railroad on the other side of the road. Then, our guide left us at the bottom of a very steep stairs of the Great Wall area, he said he was up there 400 times so he left us by ourselves to climb up some 300-400 steep stairs. I was doing all right at th ninth station, I was exhausted and my wife did not want to continue either, after taking few minutes break and deep breaths probably freshest air around we head back, it was not easy journey, however the view was gorgeous and once in a lifetime experience. Loved it.

Reviewed April 20, 2019

The unrestored Jiankou section of the great wall is amazing and a must see in Beijing. However I would not visit this area without a guide as there are many dangerous sections and it would be incredibly easy to get lost getting to this section of the wall.

Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

If you enjoy and Love to know history.. You should try this though Expect the longest and tiring hike!