“Perfect Peking duck in Beiging”

BeiJing Dadong Roast Duck (JinBao Hui)
Ranked #18 of 12,841 Restaurants in Beijing
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I went in this restaurant following the advice found on a tourist guide. And I did well!
At the entrance there are all the duck hung upside down, ready to be cooked. The room is nice and well furnished. I, of course, ordered the roast duck (half; it is possible to have the half or the entire duck, but for only one person half is enough), and when it arrived is the best moment: a people will bring a tray with the duck, and will start to cut it in front of you: at the end, you will have a very nice dish with your slices of duck s a mountain. The guy was really professional to cut it!
After the main dish, they brought me a dessert ( a good orange cream) and fruit, which I didn't ask for both of them (and it was complimentary).
So this place is suggested to everybody who come in Beijing for the first time, also if they never ate duck (as me): it is so tender and so good that you cannot avoid to finish it!

The only negative point of the restaurant is that the staff does not speak English, so it was difficult to ask if they accept credit card (they accept, for your information) and to explain that I wanted to have a look to the menu before ordering!

1  Thank Aragorn983
Write a ReviewReviews (1,360)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Top notch food quality, very well presented food with good flavours. The food served in Da Dong is more fusion than traditional Chinese food. Roasted duck from Da Dong is by all means the best one I have ever tried in Beijing, the duck skin melts in your mouth smoothly and the sauce matches the duck perfectly. The chestnut cabbage is a must try in this restaurant.

The decor looks modern and elegant. Some very interesting temporarily decorations make the restaurant look rather fancy. I have been to this place for years and feel the service level is improving gradually, we can get attentive service, while wouldn't meet any Michelin standard.

Most of time you can arrange a reservation by a phone call one day in advance, or even half an hour in advance. Compare to two other Da Dong restaurants in Beijing, this one is relatively easy to be booked.

I think Da Dong's food tastes better than most Chinese restaurants with Michelin stars in HK, and it is much more reasonably priced, while there is still room for improvement of service. It is always nice to have a dining experience in such a place.

1  Thank Beilinbaby
Reviewed August 26, 2012

First of all, you need a reservation. It is located on the fifth floor of a new shopping mall in Beijing. While you are waiting to be seated, even if you have a reservation, there are complimentary drinks. The menu has 100 pages and you can see what you are going to eat. Its a little bit pricey for Beijing standards but if you compare it with European restaurants the prices are very reasonable

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Everything we ordered here was amazing, including the roast duck. Going there a couple of nights after our failed visit (we did go, but we did not like it one bit) to Quanjude was refreshing!! I did not experience the Dadong "disinterested servive" and actually we were treated very well. Even with 3 little kids jumping around non-stop. Make a reservation if you do not want to wait 40 minutes like we did.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have ordered 1/2 duck, stewed veal, bamboo shoots, Yanzhou fried rice and drink, cost us RMB 479. Deserts are compliment.

1  Thank brian3011