“I enjoyed my stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #133 of 6,435 Hotels in Beijing
Bristol, United Kingdom
“I enjoyed my stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently stayed at the Happy Dragon over the new year and had a great time. The hostel is clean and the staff are lovely, their english is very good and they will help you in anyway they can. The free wifi was a bit slow but really good to contact home, my tip is don't use your devices to skype home use their computer - the one closest to the wall worked best for me.
I food is very western and slightly over priced but it's like all hostels and hotels, I liked the food especially the jumbo breakfast which was value for money! I stayed in a twin room, the shower/toilet was a wet room like all of china but it worked really well. We stayed in room 8208. At new year they did a free dumpling party which was fun, we made our own dumplings and they cooked them for us. The staff showed us how to do them as some were a little tricky!
The location is a little out of the way but show a taxi driver the address in Chinese and he'll get you there no problem, it was about 40mins from the airport, we used the hotels taxi pick up service which was fine, they met us at the airport helped us with the luggage. The subway 'dongsi' on line 8 is a 5 minute walk away right by a mcdonalds, wu mart (good cheap supermarket) and a china post office.
After my teaching placement I have to go back to beijing to catch my flight, I will probably stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Harbin, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Happy Dragon is hidden in a hutong but easy to find being just 5 minutes from Dongsi Subway station.
It's cosy, friendly and warm and the staff seem happy. There's an excellent café attached as well with an extensive menu. I'm regretting leaving for Harbin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Happy Dragon Hostel is one of the best decisions I made during my China trip. friendly and helpful staff that could speak good english Jack and Sally they gave me lots of travel tips in and around Beijing and made sure I had a fun and enjoyable stay. I would never forget their hospitality and sincerity. The hostel restaurant is also awesome! 5-10 min walk to a subway station.
For a traveler, I think all that matters is a place to rest and leave things while roaming around the city, which I actually enjoyed in Happy Dragon Hostel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Staying at Happy Dragon Hostel is one of the best decisions I made during my China trip. It is centrally located and is just a short walk from Dongsi station. The morning market near the hostel is an interesting experience in itself. (Try the street food noodles and pancakes at one of the many stalls.) The warmth, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is incomparable anywhere else. Hostel staff Candice and Simon really went out of their way in helping me book my train tickets to several destinations in China. They gave me lots of travel tips in and around Beijing and made sure I had a fun and enjoyable stay. I would never forget their hospitality and sincerity. The hostel restaurant is also awesome!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nomadofthecentury
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

In my opinion is the best hostel in China, I crossed the country travelling and this hostel was the best one. Great service, the attendants are very kind, and is very confortable to stay and sleep. You can have the happy hour in a bar inside the hostel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Grosseto, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Room: dirty, old and in bad conditions. The heater didn't work that good even if it was at the highest temperature and outside was very cold (end of November). The sheets were not so clean and we couldn't use the additional blanket because it was so dirty and full of hair! Bathroom: it was the worst thing! Dirty and without the shower but only with the hole in the floor, it is quite common in China but here you could feel the low level of cleanliness. The room were also quite noisy. I think even if it is cheap, it is possible to find much more better for the same price in China!it doesn't worth!!!
the only two Good things are that the staff is nice and that it is located next to a Good metro station, near some turistic places!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mecai
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

- reasonably priced
- friendly and helpful staff that could speak good english
- 5-10 min walk to a subway station
- wifi is a bit slow and only accessible in the hallway and lobby (we don't get any signal inside our room)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends