“It depends.....”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“It depends.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience and I'll explain shortly why I've given it an 'average' rating with the caveat "it depends".....We were there with our two children ages 8 & 12 for the evening show on the upper floor and our RMB400 tickets got us fairly close to the stage with a good view. The tea & snacks served were of mediocre quality, but lent nicely to the atmosphere of the old-style cultural show. The performances offered short snippets and a good collage of notable traditional cultural entertainment including the Peking Opera, Changing Faces, string ensemble (pipa, erhu, etc), acrobatic / kung fu stunts, and Fast Talk - which is a comedy rap done to the beat of castanets. So it comes down to this....if you are looking to get a flavour of Chinese cultural entertainment for the first time, then I would look no further - it would be 'very good'. My kids were kept entertained the whole time and that's no mean feat! However, if you are familiar with such performances, then this show may not particularly wow you; the performers here are very skilled but not top flight talent.

7 Thank Simon L

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Know what you're getting!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

When we decided to go to Lao She, we had no idea that there are two floors. On the first floor is a restaurant, where when you order your meal, you get a free show. We, unfortunately, did not go here. My husband, an out of town guest and I went to the top floor (tickets are 150 - 380 pp) and paid for the show complete with Chinese 'snacks' (we thought we were getting dinner after seeing rave reviews of the food!). The show was interesting, but keep in mind, it is a smattering of cultural entertainment and some of it was a bit touristy (cheesy!). Loved the Japanese mask changing act though! The snacks are really something to be desired! Pretty bad . . . and the tea they served that evening wasn't flavorful at all! Not saying much for a Teahouse! The funny thing is, they say this place is for tourists, but other than ONE other couple, we were the ONLY Westerners in the whole place! Many of the local people attending brought their own bags of snacks and food . . . smart people!!!!

5 Thank Y K
West Hartford, CT
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Don't miss Lao She Teahouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

The evening show at Lao She Teahouse is fabulous. It includes Peking Opera, Changing Faces, Acrobats, Kung Fu and comedians. It's one and a half hours long and perfect for seeing each of the different performances by very talented artists. We were told to spend the extra money to sit up front but it was full so we sat in the back and it was still fabulous. It was a highlight for us in our 4 days in Beijing.

Visited April 2012
4 Thank Traveler6009
London, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Good food, excellent tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I came here with my parents for lunch, and found the experience rather pleasant. The food is of a high quality, the tea I ordered had a lovely lychee fragrance. It is still quite busy during lunch hour, I cannot comment on the dinner times as I have not yet been. However, during lunch they have performed a traditional Chinese story of a fight between a clam and a bird , and the shadow show 皮影戲 was actually rather good. I loved the food, and mind you we are a proper Chinese family. The waiters and waitresses can be a little inattentive, but when you get their attention they are very helpful. The tea experience, unlike other reviewers, is new to me. It is an old traditional way to drink tea, juste given a cup with a cover , and some tea leaves in the cup. I would say it is worth a try. The toilets are ok.

3 Thank Michelle M
Athens, Greece
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

I don’t understand why this place is famous. Totally overrated! And I totally agree with those that say that it was the worst experience in Beijing.
Average quality of service, and what is most important, a really poor, and bad taste, show! Also very dirty toilets.
I can’t believe that there are no better examples of Chinese opera in Beijing.

Visited November 2011