“A beautiful, peaceful boutique”

Shichahai Sandalwood Boutique Hotel
Ranked #64 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed June 22, 2014

As my friend recommended this hotel to me, I met this lovely, beautiful hotel. It looks just as a normal Chinese house from outside, but a really big surprise after you see the whole courtyard, really gorgeous! With the traditional Chinese decoration, great location, good service , friendly staff, nice breakfast, comfortable bed… we had a wonderful staying here in beijing!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Bling-F
feng y, General Manager at Shichahai Sandalwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Bling-F,

Thank you for taking the time to note a somewhat enjoyable and clearly memorable stay here at Sandalwood Boutique Hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and also to let you know that your feedback has already been shared with all the staff. We are all very proud of Sandalwood Boutique Hotel and it is always our aim to provide an unparalleled level of service to all our guests.

One again we Thank You and I look forward to Welcoming you back to Sandalwood Boutique Hotel hopefully very soon.

Yours loyal butler team
from Sandalwood Boutique Hotel

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We booked this hotel on line and subsequently phoned, via Skype, to arrange an airport pickup at 10:30 pm local time. All went smoothly. Before leaving home we were advised that we had been upgraded from the Superior Suite to the Deluxe Suite. Upon arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded again to the Premier Suite. This was a spacious suite with a comfortable bed, with a small but adequate bathroom. The staff were very friendly and helpful. English was spoken by some staff members. Breakfast was a choice of Western or Chinese. I chose Chinese which was tasty and plentiful. My wife chose the western breakfast. As it is a small courtyard hotel in could be noisy from guests in the courtyard or the reception area but we didn't find this during our stay. The hotel is in a good location. You can walk to shops, restaurants and bars around the lake. Prince Gong Mansion is within walking distance - well worth a visit. Many rickshaws are available for trips around the Hutong area. A subway station is not far away.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Russnorm
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Hotel was perfect...exactly what I was looking for. You will have the real sensation of been in a Chinese environment. The real thing.
The neighborhood is OK and is not a main tourist area, so you get the real experience. I didn't feel unsafe in any moment.
Subway is at woking distance and you can use them to commute everywhere.
The staff at this Hotel is superb. Lisa is a wonderful team leader and they made the best effort to communicate in english and to help you in everything you need.
32 channels TV in a flat screen...but all of them in Chinese. The internet was OK, but remember that you will not have access to all your favorite websites when you travel China.
Breakfast is OK.

Room Tip: The rooms they offer without windows, doesn't have all the Chinese experience and they are in a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
feng y, Guest Relations Manager at Shichahai Sandalwood Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Eduardo,

Thank you very much for taking the time and write such a positive review about our boutique hotel. We take great pride in personal service and it is so rewarding when we receive comments like this from our customers.
Our hotel is transformed from a traditional Chinese courtyard, so you could experience the real Chinese environment here. And it is located in local hutong area, so it's quite safe while you walking around. Our hotel is also very close to the subway, just 10 minutes walk away.
Meanwhile, thank you for your compliment on behalf of Lisa, she was so happy after she heard that. All of our staff will try our best to make customers feel at another home in China.
We sincerely hope to have you visit us again in the near future!

Yours loyal butler team.
From Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I tend to prefer B&Bs or small boutique hotels, so this lovely place was very appealing to us. It's located in a very convenient area of the city, within walking distance of many shops and restaurants around the lake. Our room, which was located just off the courtyard, was very spacious, clean and traditionally decorated. A couple of comments though - there was a bit of noise in the mornings as breakfast was prepared, since the back of our room faced the lobby area. Also, the English skill varied from employee to employee. One girl was very helpful and spoke good English. The other we had a fair amount of difficulty communicating with. Probably our primary concern though was the room temperature (which we generally found in the many hotels we stayed at all over China). We like it cool at night, and apparently April is too early for AC in Beijing. Still, overall a very enjoyable stay and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Shichahai is a small & beautiful hotel, well located. The western breakfast is nice, the front desk service is OK, one lady at the reception helped me a lot in searching for information I needed. However, here are my complaints :
1) When I checked in, the receptionist asked me to pay for my entire stay plus a small deposit. I asked to see my room first and upon checking, I found out they had changed my booking. I have requested a room in the basement, it turned out that I got a room at the back of the courtyard. The lady then explained to me that a group of people had booked the entire basement (probably after me), and to avoid disturbing us, they have changed our booking. While I don't mind moving up, I do appreciate to get informed beforehand.
2) We had had a very good sleep the first night, mattress is good, other guests were quiet. Then came the evening with the group of Chinese. They were not gathering but in fact holding a banquet. The whole hotel and the courtyard was filled with their noise. FYI, Shichahai is made up of rooms at the basement plus six rooms on the G/F around the courtyard. They shouted, sang, and left the hotel noisily at 1:00 a.m. then returned noisily at 2:00 a.m. I admit that the front desk lady kept asking them to keep their noise down, but what would you expect from a group of fifteen people or more holding a feast at the entire basement of the hotel.
It is intolerable. Shichahai being marketed as a small boutique hotel, we expect mainly couples, quietness and discretion, but not groups holding banquets until 2:00 in the morning.

Room Tip: Room at the back of the courtyard should be more quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank candide33
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Well firstly the Hotel is gorgeous remembering it is a Boutique...so its not a Hilton etc but the actual building is old Beijing style but not old its new clean and has that old look. However..many of the things they have there are not working so it could be much more than it is and should be. E.G. they have a Automatic Mahjong Table that's broken and staying that way by the look of it when asked. Anyway the biggest problem I have is I ordered the big Suite 70m because we wanted to give baby a place to sleep away from us prior to bed time..We were upgraded to an antique room for nothing which is good but it did not meet our needs hence I did not order one. The staff lied about why this was done IMO it was because they had a big booking on our 2nd day there and bumped us. We got two reasons why we were moved none of which I think was the truth. Long story short we got to our proper room on day 3 but prior to that we were in the beautiful yet shoe box sized room on ground level. Our baby had trouble sleeping in this room because we were right next to her so had to hang outside till she was asleep. Apart from that its a clean hotel the staff are relatively helpful and speak some English. Overall I would stay again because its good value and not too far from a subway and in a historic neighborhood. Just ensure when you book a room you make sure you get what you pay for...and expect to get basics as things they have there are broken.

Room Tip: Bring a picture of the room you ordered to prove it so you get it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Hmmmap
Reviewed April 25, 2014

It's a beautiful hotel in a very nicely decorated traditional Chinese house, nicely located, very good staff but very bad noise insulation! It's very difficult to sleep when somebody else is having breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014