“Very nice and helpful personnel, English speaking, familiar atmosphere”
Review of Inner City

Inner City
Ranked #13 of 1,391 Beijing B&B and Inns
Kassel, Hessen, Germany
“Very nice and helpful personnel, English speaking, familiar atmosphere”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

From the four locations that I stayed at in China (cheap and expensive ones), this hostel was clearly the most low-budget, but from my p.o.v. I would choose this one again out of the four. I had a single room with individual bath (shower, toilet). I very much enjoyed the familiar atmosphere and the convenience. That was:
- nice neighbourhood (hutong) and 15 min footwalk to next subway station, central
- kitchen with possibility to prepare and store my own food
- staff spoke English and was very helpful and nice (different from other even expensive hotels)
- "living room" (lounge) with "public" pc's to use
- drinks are sold cheaply
What I value most was that I had the possibility to "breath" in some Chinese air and be among the people - a possibility that I did not have sitting alone in the rooms of luxury hotels with minibar and flatscreen. Thanks for the stay!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ester H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed here based on the reviews but felt misled. This hostel is extremely basic and run down. I couldn't sleep the entire night beause my blanket did not feel clean. The courtyard is filled with junk and looks very messy and dusty. I suppose it's fine if you're a student and trying to save money, except that it's not a good value for money. I left this place and stayed at a budget hotel for the same price and enjoyed all the comforts of a nice clean hotel--but then I'm comparing the prices of a double ensuite. Oh, and this place charges 20 yuan just to use a towel! I'm sure you can do much better elsewhere.

The girls at the front desk seemed nice, but the boy was quite aggressive and rude. He should not be working at a front desk.

The subway is quite far, a 15-20 minute walk. I really don't understand the good reviews. I think you have to be careful when reading them, especially in China. I've had people ask me to write a good review--not here, another place. So, just be wary.

Room Tip: Reserve one night and go see for yourself.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank BeachBumX2
Calgary
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Inner City for 3 nights after reading the reviews on tripadvisor.
The location is really interesting, in a typical hutong but near restaurants and shops as well (there's a decent sized grocery store nearby).
The rooms are small and very sparse but the decorations have a lot of personality.
There are also a couple of laptops to use for internet access.
It was good value for the price paid.
We went to the dumpling making lesson our first night and had a great time chatting with the staff and other guests. The dumplings were really yummy too.
The downside: We were there on beer night as well and it got a bit rowdy in the courtyard so it was really really noisy to try and sleep, even with earplugs.
Bread and jam for breakfast was ok but we supplemented with yogurt from the market.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank traveladdicted4
Adelaide
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Me and a mate stayed at Inner City for 7 nights and had no complaints about it. When we first got to Beijing then had given us directions in an email in how to get there. We caught a taxi and Ryan met us on the side of the main road and walked us to the hostel. The room was clean and had heating with a shower, nothing special but was all clean. The common room has 2 laptops with free internet and they have a large screen TV to play xbox or watch DVDs. They had lots of activities at night (that were free). They organized some day trips as well. We went to the good part of the wall for a hike, they organised the bus to pick us up from the hostel and the trip included breakfast and lunch. We really didn't have any problems with the place, and would recommend it to people that like staying in hostels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mattypoika
Paris, France
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We are very satisfied with the hotel. Nice decoration in the rooms and inner court.

Two adults and two children, we had 2 rooms with private toilet and shower. The bed is very confortable. The toilet/shower is a little bit small in one of the room.

Excellent service. Staff is very kind and helpful. They organized events in the evening (games, preparing together traditionnal dumpling...) and offered fruits to guest (nice in the hot summer!).

Our children loved the small tigers (artcrafts - textile fabric) in their room and were happy to play games after the visits with the hotel xBox 360 .

There were works along the Hutong, a little bit dust.
Taxi can go inside the Hutong and park very near the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Tan_family78
Trencin, Slovakia
Reviewed September 3, 2010

INNER City is located in an old courtyard house of a typical Beijing hutong. The inner court with couches, tables, chairs, two computers and a pomegranate tree is a wonderful place where guests can relax and meet other travellers. All of the ten rooms are accessed from this court.

Rooms are spartan but very clean. They are cleaned every day which was a nice surprise for me in a hostel. All of the staff speak English - you can communicate with them very easily (which is not the norm in Chinese hotels - even five star hotels ofthen have staff who do not understand you and do not speak English at all !). They are also extremely helpful - write you notes for taxi drivers in Chinese, book train tickets etc. Several times a week they organize activities for guests e.g. cooking Chinese meals, playing games, watching films. I enjoyed making noodles and rice dumplings.

The nearest subway station is about a ten-minute walk away.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to get good value for money and experience life in a courtyard house.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
uk
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Fantastic customer service, the staff here are awesome!

The hostel is set in a traditional beijing courtyard but has all the modern gadgets and gizmos you could want; two laptops with internet at no extra charge, xbox (yes I missed FIFA and COD!) on a huuuge 50in tv or something like that, solar powered shower facilities, ac in all rooms etc

The whole place is very clean. I was pleasantly surprised by the UV cabinet installed in the kitchen where washed plates are placed in, it's used to kill bacteria. If you're not in the mood for cooking, there is a takeaway a minute away which you can choose from a variety of dishes at less than a pound!

The only niggle I had was having to walk 15 minutes to the subway, I hate walking! But, this has little affect on my rating since the superawesomespecial(!!) staff here make it all worthwhile!

It's more like a family/friend setting staying here, the staff are always offering food/snacks to everyone! They are really friendly and helpful, I'll be staying in contact with them for sure! I'll be back next time to see if anythings changed!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo