“Enjoyable with room for improvement”

National Art Museum Of China
Ranked #122 of 1,609 things to do in Beijing
Chengdu, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Enjoyable with room for improvement”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Overall, I thought the art museum was well designed and had some pretty interesting exhibits and artwork. Admission is free so I had the chance to see some nice artwork for nothing. I especially enjoyed the exhibit "ChiFra" - the collaborative exhibit with French and Chinese artists - as The artwork used French styles but with Chinese subjects. The other parts of the museum are full of traditional and modern Chinese art.

On the downside the museum has some flaws. The museum is pretty small for one that is supposed to be a national museum. The first floor, in my mind, is not well organized and seems to be fairly random in subject matter. So there is room for improvement by the museum management. I would recommend going to this museum because it is free and the artwork is pretty interesting and worth looking at.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Dillon Z

• Korean first
Beijing, China
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great selection of classic and contemporary Chinese art”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Keep in mind that this is NOT the museum located on the East of Tiananmen Square. That museum is called the National Museum of China and is much larger. I found this one, the National Art Museum of China, to be more enjoyable for my personal tastes. The collections focus more on contemporary art, giving you many interesting pieces focusing on the old-meets-new concept, an understandable theme for such a rapidly changing country. When I visited in January 2014, I was also able to enjoy the work of Zhang Daqian (Chang Dai-chien), which employs traditional Chinese painting formats and techniques, but with a more impressionistic approach. They were stunning to see in person. I easily spent 2-3 hours here.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank bridgetriley
Melbourne
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Full of propaganda artwork re Chinese invasion of Tibet - disappointing”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I loved my time in Beijing and as an art lover I was so excited to visit my first Chinese art gallery.

I found the vibe towards tourists here was suspicious and unfriendly and the guards almost seemed to be following us around as the only Western visitors in the museum.

There was a lot of beautiful art, however the propaganda artwork regarding the Chinese invasion of Tibet was making my blood boil and I found it extremely difficult to view.

There are huge paintings of the supposed 'saving' of the Tibetans by Communist soldiers. Tibetans - old and young alike - all smiling and welcoming their Communist 'saviours'.

The artist omitted the horrendous scenes of violence, murder and cruelty inflicted on their invasion.

I would not want to return to this museum again.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ladycatrin
Melbourne
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Wasted opportunities”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had read about the massive renovations and expansion to this place and was looking forward to the visit. It turned out to be a waste of time even though it was free for foreigners. I recall there was a charge for locals then but it's free entry now.

For whatever reasons, the front door or entrance to the museum was changed from the design causing confusion in locating the entry. Then the ticket room was disjointed, there was no logical movement from one point to another.
As others have noted, security was ridiculous and obnoxious - and there wasn't anything you could touch or destroy.

Generally I found the exhibits were meagre and disappointing although the special NZ green stone exhibition was interesting.
Neither did the 'new' buildings provide any interesting experience. In fact it was dated and boring. Such a pity.....

For me, this museum squandered its opportunities.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank birdcagewalking
Daly City, California, United States
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 403 helpful votes
“Great and it's free bring your passport”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Definitely one of the better art museums in town.

Had a blast looking at the different floors of art.

However if you are touring Beijing then I wouldn't recommend you coming here, this place is more of a place you go to if you live here or work here.

Summary-
While good, not worth your time if you are on a tight travel schedule.
Bathrooms-Normal and squatters