“I LOVED IT”

and up
Beijing Hutong Bike Tour with Dumpling Lunch
Ranked #126 of 1,612 things to do in Beijing
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I dont like to review attractions/museums because for me its what it makes you feel and thats very subjective. But this place caught me off gaurd and made me see China in a whole new light. This was at the end of my China and I wasnt expecting much. Yes, a lot of the descriptions are in Chinese but that did not bother me. Nor did I require the name of the artist, or year, etc. Art reflects culture and this art reflected a facet of China I had not seen in my entire trip. It was beautful, it was human, and it oozed political and cultural dimension that I did not expect from a national gallery in communist China. It's not the most beautiful museum, nor is it saturated with works you will recognize. But it gives you an oppurtunity to read between the lines of modern day China's tale.

5  Thank rnevarez562

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Probably one of my favorite things that I've done in Beijing. My fiance and I stumbled upon it after leaving the Palace Museum and we didn't have it on our list of things to do, but when we asked how much it was for tickets she asked for our passport and gave us free tickets. I guess it is free to everyone with a limit of over 3,000 per day. The art in here was really amazing and it was a nice air-conditioned thing to do on a really hot summer day.

1  Thank Hassan A
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Take your passport for a free ticket and enter the world of art. We were lucky to see Spanish sculpture - Picasso included, video art, a competition sponsored by China Railways, glass works and more traditional and revolutionary art. In other words - its full of surprises and probably continually changing. Not too many visitors and almost no other tourists made us an attraction. The gift shop is not a rip-off - though of course more expensive than markets. The cafe has fantastic green tea selections and is good for a rest. Once you've been to T Square once, do you need to go back? NAMOC is definitely with repeat visits.

1  Thank Silvafox59
Reviewed April 14, 2013

After seeing the long lines in the hot sun to get in I almost turned away. Once inside I was rewarded with one of the best collections of chinese art, both ancient and contemporary. I can't recommend this museum highly enough, simply one of the best attractions in all of Beijing. The security was almost an attraction by itself, but enough said about that.

3  Thank anavarza
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Everything was written in Chinese which created a 'great wall' for understanding the history etc. Therefore I think it is a bit unfair to judge from my western mindset and perspective. Afterall I am in China.
I was inspired by the artwork,looking at pictures. Just different techniques,and subjects.