“Pretty nice rooms, not great service or location”

and 1 more site!
Beijing Hutong Culture Inn
Ranked #2,351 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Seoul, South Korea
“Pretty nice rooms, not great service or location”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

The Hutong Culture Inn was a cute, out-of-the-way hostel and we found the room to be clean and spacious, overall a good value. We also really enjoyed taking the Mutianyu/Ming Tomb tour from there and there's a nice street of restaurants, shops and bars within walking distance. They're also fairly responsive by email, which I very much appreciated.

However, we found it difficult to get cabs to that area and the one staff member who spoke English wasn't always following what we were asking. We arranged for an airport shuttle both ways, and coming to the hostel was no problem. However, on our final day of the stay when we asked them to call us a taxi to visit the art district, they kept insisting that they'd already called the airport shuttle and didn't need to do it again- obviously lost in translation. The airport shuttle also took us to the wrong terminal, requiring us to take an additional 20 minute bus and had our flight not been delayed we might have missed check in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I liked being in the middle of the hutong area. I think it gave me a nice
authentic experience. The neighborhood had some nice cool shops and restaurants and lots of un street vendors. Stop by the tea shop, the parasol shop and cafe Zarah--they were great experiences.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2011

When we arrived at this hotel, we were told at the reception desk that the money that we had paid was insufficient to warrant us a decent standard room and that we would have to accept a room with no windows instead. We later found out that this was false information as some people we met confirmed that they had paid much less for a room that actually contained windows with a proper view (a basic requirement when you stay at a hotel).

Having got over this we settled down a little but then started to have issues with one staff member in particular. This vile man kept creeping up on me when I was alone and trying to touch my arm and express his feelings towards me. I'm a straight bloke and have no issues with gay people, however, if I have clearly communicated to you what my sexual inclination is, I expect to be left alone. This didn't happen and the harassment got so bad that I considered using physical violence which I'm strongly against.

To be fair, most of the other staff were very helpful and friendly, including the reception staff and the cleaners, however this experience totally spoilt my stay here, therefore, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. I also wouldn't normally post such a harsh review, however, I felt a human duty to express this.

• Stayed September 2011

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Loma Linda, California
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Area is in an alley inside a Hutong which is very very hard to find. Our taxi had to go around several times before he kicked us out of the taxi. I had to go inside a grocery store and look very helpless to the chinese mamager and convinced him to call the place so one of his workers called the place and luckily enough, the little alley next to his store goes to the Huting where the alley is at. You have to walk through small alleys where the local lives which I love as I want to be where the locals are.

Hotel check in was somewhat fast. We had a very big room with two very hard beds (like everywhere else in China.) and a big glass bathroom (I think this is a trend in China. I stayed at a 5 star hotel in Hangzho and they have the same see through bathroom. Very weird.) You can pull curtain around so you can have privacy but you take a shower right next to the toilet so everything is wet after you shower. The next to shower has just to deal with the wet toillet if they need to use it.

Rooms were cleaned every day. Sheets are clean. Internet in the 3rd floor bar is iffy and does not work most of the time. You have to find a sweet spot in order for it to work. One day, my Ipad cannot get connection so I asked if I can borrow their laptop since connection is bad. The guy charged me 5RMB to use it for an hr. I didnt argue about it and just paid him to use the computer. Beer is very expensive (20RMB) for one. BF and I would stop by the corner store and get 2 bottles for us which cost us 7.50 RMB for both. No water supplied everyday. Again we go to the corner store and get the large bottle for 3RMB which is very cheap.

Not everyone speaks English. There was only 1 guy and 1 girl that can comprehend English well. Asked directions on how to get to the Andingmen train station so we can go to take the bus and go to Badaling. She discouraged us and asked why we want to go by ourself and said it was too late (9am) and said that why dont we take the tour they offer (180 RMB) but we nicely declined and went to the Olympic stadium by ourselves that day and woke up really really early in the morning the next day to go to the great wall which was very very easy. We took the train from andingmen to Jishuitan (2RMB/pp) turned left walk 3 bloks away and took the 919 bus for 12 RMB per person and it took us to the front of the wall. The bus ride took about 1 hour to get there. If you do not mind going on a trek, it is a nice day trip.

Once you get your bearings around the place. It is in a very trendy area. Lots of very cute shops around, restaurants, Andingman train station is very near (10 min walk). I would stay somewhere else next time on a place in this area but not inside a Hutong where its hard to find.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 206. Room was big adn had a window with a glass bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The staff were really nice and friendly and it was located exactly where I wanted to be. However, whilst it was a traditional courtyard set-up, it did feel run down (maybe that was the look they were going for!). Our room was a bit small, dark and pokey for the three of us and the glass bathroom doors meant we got to know each other quite well. We'd also decided upon it because of its free wifi which when we arrived wasn't in use and neither was the guest's PC. It was very extremely overpriced for what you got.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Hotel / Inn is very stilish location in old hutong, near to restaurants, shopping, 5 min walk to glock tower, 10 to Andigmen subway station- ring line. Large rooms with AC, good beds and well runing bathroom. Rooftop bar with slow service- faster if you help a bit. Nice decorated hotel with 1 big PROBLEM: all arriving guests get minimum first day rooms with NO window, also if you have booked Komfortrooms, they are unable to handle the bookings with their different roomcategories.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MPaulig
Sheffield
Reviewed September 22, 2011

At first glance, this hotel seemed OK - there was a warm welcome and early check-in. Definitely budget, so our expectations weren't too high. The room condition was poor - crumbling plaster, cracked ceilings. It was very dirty, and the daily cleaning poor. The bed was hard and small and covered in very coarse curtain material rather than proper sheets. It was so poorly supported that if you made the mistake of putting your toes under it, they were squashed as you climbed into bed. The internet was incredibly slow. There was no water provided, the only Chinese hotel we stayed in where bottled water wasn't provided. The air conditioning didn't work, so we were forced to leave our window open, something of a security risk given that there was a semi-public area directly outside our room. The room was very small, a situation exacerbated by a large ugly cabinet taking up much of the space at the foot of the bed. The door had to be slammed shut, usually several times, in order to lock.

The bathroom was a raised area in the room, separated from the bed by glass (as far as we could see, not safety glass - a pretty foolish idea given the slipperiness caused by having an unenclosed shower with the bathroom area). There's nothing quite so likely to make or break a relationship as waking up to the sight of your partner sitting on a stage using the toilet. Early in the morning, there was no hot water. The towels were ripped and stained, and stank of bleach.

We booked a tour through them - we checked the pickup time twice, 7am, only to be phoned at 6.10am on the day of the tour, to be told that the guide would be there in 5 minutes - good job we got up early. The tour price was 60RMB more expensive than the same tour being promoted outside the Forbidden City. The coach driver on the tour was so bad that he managed to crash into a pillar after dropping us off, and we arrived back late and were pre-emptorily dumped at a metro station.

The beer was over-priced, service in the bar surly, and the bar had extremely limited opening times. One day we left some glass bottles in our bin and returned to find smashed glass all over the floor and in our shoes - it seems the cleaner had broken one of the bottles but not cleared up the smashed glass properly.

The area was great - plenty to see and do, a lively street life, little cafes and bars, near the metro and the drum tower and within walking distance of Ghost Street, where there were plenty of restaurants. I would heartily recommend that you stay near the Culture Inn, just not at it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple