“Gets better”
Review of Guidu Hotel

Guidu Hotel
Ranked #840 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This was my third stay and 12 months since the last. The hotel has improved again, with no shortage of English speakers who work hard to help with anything they can. It's not the ideal location for night life, but well placed for subway/walks.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed November 24, 2013

On 24/10/2013 , I checked in GUIDU. Hotel is costly comparing the facility they provide The man in the front desk deducted RMB.2500 from my cash card as advance.
On 27/10/2013 morning I checked out from the hotel. While checking out I came to know my total bill was RMB.1680. As a common practice any other standard Hotel would have deducted the amount from the advance and refunded the balance (2500-1680) to me.
But in spite of my protest the front desk person deducted again RMB.1680 from my card and informed me that he has cancelled the previous RMB.2500 , which will be back in my account in 3-5 days. Today after almost a month the money is not deposited back in my account. (I have all proof).
The Hotel authority is horrible is response and refusing to act even though all documetary evidence are provided. I do not recommend this hotel to any one.

Room Tip: Look for another Hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dsanyal
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was my second stay, 18 months after my first. The hotel looked the same but the service had improved considerably. The English spoken by some of the staff was exemplary. This is so valuable when trying to get information and was a huge change from my first stay. The breakfast and service was excellent, and the staff would arrange taxis for me which had not been the case previously. Location is ok if you like walking or have business to attend to in that part of the city, but I still prefer to be to the east of Tianeman for a night out.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed here six months ago and liked it - my review is below. I stayed again last month, and there are a couple of things worth adding.

The "shabby Muslim restaurant near the market" that I mentioned in my previous review has been demolished, which is a shame.

I realised at the end of this stay that, in two weeks on my first stay and a week this time, I have never heard any noise from other guests while in my room. It's an unbelievably quiet hotel. This, and the very comfortable bed, mean you'll always have a very good sleep.

There's a printing shop about five doors down the street, which is very convenient if you're doing business.

It's pretty cool if you're there during Ramadan (as I was) - the streets nearby fill up as soon as the sun sets as everyone rushes out to break their fast, and the restaurants all have a great atmosphere.

Laundry in the hotel (for shirts and things) is very reasonable - it costs the same as the normal laundry down the road.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first review that it looks in some pictures like there's a TV at the end of the bath. Don't get your hopes up - it's a mirror.

Service remains excellent: friendly, helpful and efficient.

I also used their limousine service as I was pressed for time to get to a meeting in Xicheng and to then get to Beijing South Station to catch a train. It was RMB 400 for half a day, in a brand-new Audi A6L. The car was clean and smart, and the driver was very helpful and professional.

I'd definitely stay here again. I had a busy, stressful trip, and this hotel helped me relax.

Room Tip: Both times, I've stayed in rooms at the back of the hotel, facing a school and a football pitch...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have been 3 times in this hotel in Beijing...and it is my choice for visiting Beijing in my multiple visits to China
It is "close" to the center (approx 10min by taxi to Tianamen Square)
Hotell is clean, comfortable, Breakfast is GOOD, very GOOD
Dinner option in the restaurant is also a good choice (asian and international options)
Restaurant is also reasonable
Good desk for working, good connexion
Staff is not very fluent in English but they have good disposition
Same as in many other places...everything takes time (check in & check out)
I recommend this hotel for business but also for tourism...You can rest well, good breakfast and possibility of good dinner
The worst is that there is not 24 hours room service...(to mention a but in this hotel)

Room Tip: i have stayed 3 times and i had 3 different rooms (all are similar or the same) recommendation: sam...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Requested for non-smoking room but received with an ashtray right on the desk. I could find the smell of smoking even before I open the door. Staff is not friendly when I checkout (not to mention it took more than 10 minutes), and when I checked in the staff manning the reception was lying down there, sleeping.

Room is old and wall paper has started falling off. Internet is extremely slow.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I chose the Guidu Hotel for two reasons: there was a very good "mystery hotel" deal on Wotif (it's always pretty easy to identify the Wotif "mystery hotels" in China), for US$ 77 per night; and the location was ideal for me. I stayed for a week in December.

The Guidu Hotel is near Xuanwumen, a little bit to the South-West of Tian'anmen Square - it's inside the Second Ring Road, so it's pretty central. If you have lots of meetings in government departments and large State-owned enterprises, it's great - you're reasonably close to most of the offices in Xicheng, and it's not too far to the ones in Dongcheng. It's also very good if you're travelling out of Beijing a lot: it's two metro stops or 10 minutes in a taxi to Beijing South Station. It's only about five minutes' walk from Caishikou Station on Metro Line 4.

The lobby is your usual four-star State-owned hotel lobby: lots and lots of marble, and an outlandish chandelier. The room was very nice: there was plenty of space, lots of storage space, and a good, big bath and separate shower. The bed was unbelievably comfortable - one of the best I have ever slept in.

Staff were friendly and helpful. A couple of them tried to deal with me in English, and struggled, but I think you'd be OK if you didn't speak Chinese.

English TV is limited to CNN and BBC World. Internet is free and fast, but is only wired: Wi-Fi isn't available in the room.

I had room service twice. The Singapore noodles were dire; the dumplings were OK. There are a few good food options nearby: a shabby-looking Northwestern Muslim place just past the market near the hotel's East entrance is especially good, and there's a good Shaanxi chain place just past the Islamic school to the West of the hotel. Supermarket options are limited: there's a very small, very limited supermarket across the road, and there are no convenience stores nearby.

If the same deal were available next time I'm in Beijing, I'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If it's windy, there can be a bit of a whistling / creaking sound from the window. Don't op...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business