Beijing 161 Wangfujing Hotel
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$228
$144
$267
$212
Agoda.com
All reviewsdongsi stationlishi hutongforbidden cityhuge supermarketwu martexit cbudget hotelfamily roomtravel deskhotel is locateddouble roomstrategic locationthe upper floorsspeak good englishwifi connectionwalking distanceming tombs
Reviewed October 3, 2013

161 Hostel is a very nice Hostel in the city center of Shanghai near Palace museum in a Hutong area. Stuff is very friendly and helpful. Best advice was restaurant for Beijing duck, (Ask at reception). Hostel is basic but clean and worth the value you pay. Veri good Italian coffe in the morning, like in Italy. The Bar just outside Hostel serves marvelous bear from a small brewery. Relax on little balcony and enjoy the hassle live around you.
Nice Lobby area and garden for your breakfast. Hostel is not easy to find but take exit No G go ahead 100 m, cross the street and turn right. Second street there is your little paradise. Love to go back to this Hostel. I was having a break from business trip and enjoyed very much. This Hostel has its special charming character.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room in the fifth floor then you have even a bit of view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
NickHuang, 总经理 at Beijing 161 Wangfujing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2017

Thank you for taking your time to write comment about 161 hotel on TripAdvisor.

Your suggestions and comments are our motive forces,I'll share your comment with all the staff of 161 hotels to let everyone share this joy.

All the 161 hotels persevere in following the local inhabitants' traditional housing structures,provide every guest the traditional Beijing courtyard environments and experience the local Beijing life.

At the same time there are 7 different branches of 161 hotels in Beijing,we hope you'll be able to try different styles of courtyard next time during your stay in Beijing.

All the staff members and I welcome and looking forward to your next visit and stay with us again.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel located near Dongsi subway, just 200 meters walk. When u arrived in dongsi station go to exit C and turn left. the hotel is located on second alley on the left side. I arrived on 2 a.m in the morning but they still keep my room. I change my room from double bed to twin bed for the extend day on my first arrival and got the same room in 3rd floor. The room is clean, wifi in the room, the bed rather hard but over all is ok. They provide hair dryer in the room but compliment mineral water only for first day. They also clean the room every day. The second time i came here after going to another city and also change the room from double to twin bed, i got basement room. The room is more spacious than my previous room (maybe because i got the corner room) but the toilet is smelled and damp so dont forget to close the toilet door. Over all is ok just for sleep, because all the day I busy to go around the city :)

Room Tip: Dont choose basement room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a unique hotel in a hutong (alley). Location is good. A short walk from the subway. Wangfujing shopping area is nearby, reachable by foot. The staffs are nice and accomodative. We requested for a last minute extension, they tried their best to accomodate even though they are fully booked on that day.

We had the Family room with a single bed and a double bed. Room size is very basic and small. Bed is hard. Toilet is simple. The toilet bowl blocks easily because the toilet paper is of lower quality very difficult to flush away. We ended up throwing the paper in the bins and it made the toilet stinky. Actually the room is not that cheap, 440rmb per night. We had better hotels with that price elsewhere in China.

Because they are fully booked, we moved to the Business room that had a computer in the room with a King bed. That room is better than the family room but it's also small. Both the family room and the business room are located on the 5th floor. No lifts in the hotel. But the staffs will help you to carry your luggage to your room. Travelers with big luggage and elderlies take note.

On the good point, the lobby and cafe area of the hotel is very unique. Beautifully designed with a taste of fusion eastern and western element. My sister loved the coffee. We didn't realize that hotel guests are entitled to 10% discount on coffee until our last day and they didn't inform us that. We found out about this when we read the small menu in the room on our last day in Beijing. =(

The hotel is also located near local restaurants which are quite good. There's a "xiang chai" restaurant on the same hutong which serve good Hu Nan food (spicy). Cross the road to baofang hutong and there is a great restaurant called No. 9 Kitchen.

Overall, the room is average but the location is good. I think this hotel is a little expensive for the facilities provided. I find this hotel lacking in the comfort quality of the room. The pillow is too flat and only 1 pillow provided per person. Improve on the room quality and this hotel will be better.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the lowest floor to avoid climbing up the stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank seeyumi

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is 5 minutes walk from the metro station Dongsi. There is a supermarket nearby. The Forbidden City is 30 minutes walk from the hotel. The room was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful (spoke good english). Air conditioning in the room.

A little difficult to find the hotel: it is located in a side street. There is no safe box in the room.

Room Tip: room nr. 313 :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Artem-Ingmar

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a double room with private bathroon. The equipment of the room was ok for its price. However, do not count on thigs like a wardrobe. Location is very convenient as it is close to a metro station and not too far from the center.

Hint: beware of booking tours in the agency they have in there. Apart of being a rip-off, they will take you to factories your are not allowed to abandon, instead of to the things you actually booked! And you are obligued to pay cash and give the receipt to the driver, so at teh end you have to document to prove what you booked.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends