“Loved Sideways!”

Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways
Ranked #55 of 420 Tours in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: Beijing Sideways provides you with a sideways look of China, Beijing and its surrounding.Aboard our vintage sidecar motorbike, we show the Beijing we love, without the crowds.This form of transportation allows us to be very flexible with our exploration, stopping easily whenever necessary, a very close proximity with the city and countryside where you can «almost touch» anything you see, but above all it’s a sightseeing wonder! Did we mention it’s extremely fun?
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My Sideways tour of Beijing/Great Wall was fantastic. It was a full day that wasn't too packed and wasn't too light. My driver (NIcolas) was great. He was very knowledgable, personable and a great driver. Lunch was far more and better than I expected. The area of the Great Wall that you go to is enough of a reason to book this trip. Absolutely beautiful and really puts it in perspective. When signing up for it I thought it was a bit pricey but after doing it, it was worth every penny.

1  Thank Brooke C
"day trip"
in 31 reviews
"an adventure"
in 8 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 12 reviews
in 5 reviews
"forbidden city"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My brother and I joined Gael's motorcycle tour last week. It was the highlight of our 2-week tour of China. My adrenaline levels are only now returning to normal.
But it wasn't just the excitement of racing through the city. With Gael we were able to beat the limitations of car traffic, cover much more in less time, see places (such as parts of the Hutongs) that are too narrow for cars. Thanks to Gael's knowledge, we saw places we doubt other tourists saw, such as the art gallery in the city walls with its art works and views, and we were the only ones there. Hard to imagine being alone in China.
Beijing Sideways is flexible. We wanted to see Beijing's cutting-edge architecture, and Gael had the knowedge and did the preparation to give us a mind-blowing program.
A bus tour of Beijing would have been considerably cheaper, but I doubt you'd find anyone who took Beijing Sideways who would say other than it was the best investment they made, during their visit to China..

3  Thank footloose1237
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked sideways because having been to the major sights in Beijing we were over crowds. The tour was a Swiss couple and us. The guide Leonardo was excellent, the riders highly skilled and the trip thrilling. You soon overcame the fear of hurtling through traffic with your backside nearly on the ground.
It was good to get into the countryside after being in the city. The stop at the copy of the French chateau highlighted the immense wealth help by some families.
The section of the wall was deserted and the climb wasn't too taxing. Lunch was a treat with nice salads, great baguettes and French rose.enjoyed by a watchtower. Leonardo magically produced it from his backpack
The walk over the ridge was fun with spectacular views. The cold beer before we linked with the bikes was greatly appreciated.
A visit to the Olympic swimming pool site at dusk was a treat on the way back to our hotel.
All in all a fabulous adventure which I have recommended to anyone I know who is going to visit Beijing.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although the hike on the wall was great (because drivers bring you to a fantastic portion of the wall), guides did not explain much. Lunch was okay. Experiencing side car was good, but Beijing is definitely not the place to do it. It is too long to get out of the city in the pollution. Overall the experience was good but for such a premium price I was expected much more, especially experienced guide who talk about the wall.

1  Thank ninott
Traf, Gérant at Side-car Motorcycles Trips - Beijing Sideways, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2015

Hello, Sorry for responding to your comment after all this time: I had not noticed it before. I am glad that you loved the hike on the portion of the wall we chose and felt that both the food and hike were good. Your general opinion though is that your were disappointed and we take this seriously as we take our heart to providing great exhilarating experiences. We're sorry if we let you down there.

One of your two concerns were that you did not get much explanation on the wall. Our guides are experienced foreigners, speaking Chinese who have been living in the country and the city for a while and are trained with many history insights. They are "Insiders", guiding you like " a friend of a friend you would have in the city". Hence the tour is designed like a dialogue and we won't burry with facts people who would be more interested in enjoying the landscape, the view or the hike. We give an introduction of the Great Wall history when we first set foot on the wall and then depending on the dialogue who can go deeper. I am sorry we did not provide it there.

Although I have the highest respect for your opinion, I would like to say that I disagree when you say that Beijing is not the place to experience a sidecar tour. Quite the opposite. Beijing is perfect for the sidecar because its core, the old city, is a maze of narrow alleys that often can't be taken by cars, it also has so many very wide bicycle lanes that allow us to beat the traffic. In addition it's perfect to look up at buildings. Going to the great wall it allows to see so much of the beautiful scenery and the spectacular mountains. On the way there we take as much small countryside roads as possible, going through villages giving a glimpse of local life that is so different from that of the city, a gimps you couldn't get from your bus or car going to the mainstream Great Wall. Finally our whole concept is that the journey is as much as important that the destination (the wall).

That said I noted that we failed to give you enough talk on the wall and will make sure it doesn't happen in the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I are expats in Beijing and have now done 2 different tours with the Sideways crew. Whether you are new to Beijing or are looking for a new twist on places you have been before, you cannot beat Beijing Sideways. They are professional, attentive and well-run, top-to-bottom.

Our first tour was their Great Wall overnight tour. This took us to new, less traveled sections of the wall and to other sites along the way. The fresh mountain air was fantastic and the getting to coast down the hills was great fun. The staff were great and the little guest house they took us to for the night was a wonderful little spot with excellent mountain and wall views.

Our second trip was just recently for their summer side trips. This was a great chance to get out of the city, do some hiking and swimming and have some great BBQ. It was again, as expected, very well-run with excellent food, a great spot and nice scenery to get you there. A great value for the experience as well.

Overall these are two of the more memorable trips we have taken in Beijing. Highly recommend them!

4  Thank John B