“Best food at the Great Wall”

The Schoolhouse at Mutianyu Great Wall
Ranked #158 of 12,754 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Huairou Scenic Resort
Description: The Schoolhouse is based on an abandoned village school and is part of a sustainable tourism business founded by Jim Spear & Liang Tang, longtime expat residents of Mutianyu, in 2006. We offer local foods made fresh from scratch to groups of 12 to 144 people with family or buffet style menus. Advance booking is required. The operating season each year is early March to November, closed for winter vacation. Individual guests and small parties are welcome to book a table at the intimate lodge cafe in our nearby hotel, the Brickyard at Mutianyu, which is open year-round. The Brickyard is a long-running Travelers Choice winner based on a repurposed glazed tile factory and includes extensive gardens. The outdoor terrace offering spectacular views of the Great Wall is open for dining in clement weather. The Brickyard can also serve groups of 12 to 144 people on the premises year-round by prior booking. We also operate a nearby noodle shop called Xiaolumian open for groups of 12 to 36 people from early March to October by prior booking. The noodle shop is also open on weekends and holidays 12:00-16:00 from April to October to individual guests and small groups.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm a foodie from New York, but to get the best salted caramel ice cream and the best duck risotto, you need to go to the village of Mutianyu near the Great Wall and have lunch at The Schoolhouse!

2  Thank karenkane2

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This an old school house that is now a restaurant.Lovely food and outlook.Lot's of fun and great service

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This restaurant is in a restored schoolhouse and its buildings, very close to the Great Wall. Our guide brought us here. and after reading the reviews I agreed to the reservation. We got a private "classroom" with air conditioning.

Our family had a hamburger and fries, panfried mushroom ravioli, vegetable pasta. The kids had caramel milkshakes. There is something about the food in one's own country prepared in another country - it is always different - part of the experience.

The standards for serving and for the facilities are Western. We had a good time here and I would recommend it.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We heard about the School house from friends who said it was very good. We made reservations as it can be difficult to get in, given the location. Be prepared to pay tourist prices.Our friends enjoyed their burger, salads, and a pasta dish. We enjoyed the daily special too.
We did not get an opportunity to see the glass blowing, but the items are beautiful.

jimatmutianyu, Owner at The Schoolhouse at Mutianyu Great Wall, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear David R, This is Jim Spear, a partner in The Schoolhouse. I'm delighted that you visited but sorry you felt we charged "tourist prices." Our prices are based on sustaining our for-profit business with a social mission. Costs in China in general -- if one abides by the laws and regulations (which I consider another aspect of social sustainability) -- are quite high, especially for labor and energy. We also grow a good portion of our own food and in total more than 80 per cent of what we serve is from our local area. Using small-scale, local producers means basically a higher cost. Thank you for your understanding and wishing you happy and safe adventures in your travels... Jim Spear

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Restaurant for foreign tourists visiting the Great Wall. Mostly western food. I had a Burger which was ok. Didn't appreciate it being covered with mushrooms which I don't recall it saying anything about on the menu, and I don't like those slimy things, so I had to scrape them off but not until I got a mouthful of them first. Also, I left the fries on the plate after trying one.
But I was with a big group and they all loved what they had so I won't base my review solely on my feelings.

Dear Bob C, My name is Jim Spear, a partner in The Schoolhouse. We are indeed a restaurant aimed at visitors to Mutianyu Great Wall that is part of our sustainable tourism project with a hotel, rental homes, and several restaurants, as well as two craft businesses. We have had guests from over 100 different countries but almost half of our guests are actually Chinese citizens who appreciate our notion of the "luxury of simplicity." I am very glad to know that your friends enjoyed their food at The Schoolhouse but sorry our Great Wall Burger was not to your taste. This is the most popular item on our a la carte menu and many people come back over and over again just to order the burger. Our menu doesn't list all the ingredients composing dishes so that we can keep it simple -- just one page of delicious dishes -- but our staff are trained to answer questions about ingredients and recipes are available on request. The burger is also served open face and the grilled mushrooms on top, easily removed. In any case, thank you for visiting. Wishing you happy travels... Jim Spear