“Won't Stay Here Again”

Ranked #184 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore
“Won't Stay Here Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was on a trip with my wife and kids to Beijing which was organised by the school. The plan was for full immersion in Chinese for the week with the kids going to local schools and activities with the parents in the afternoon.

What I did not bank on was an unpleasant hotel stay. Even though we were on a non-smoking floor, the room stank of cigarettes and people were happily walking by smoking, even in front of staff who said nothing.

The beds were hard as rocks but I am told that is the Beijing way. I normally don't go for massages but I had to have two on this trip!

The bathroom was smelly and moldy and the rooms were not properly cleaned up in the mornings after we left.

The door closed very fast, so fast in fact that my 6 year old son got his hand caught in the door!

The food was average at best and I tried it all being fairly adventurous with food (don't ask me to eat the deep fried scorpions though!). Though I am not a big fan of baked beans, you know you're in China when they're soya beans!

The service was OK once you got their attention. The building itself is very dated and really needs a facelift.

On the plus side the location is good and they gave free internet access even thought it was slow.

Overall I enjoyed my stay in Beijing and will probably go back again. The next time though, I will organise the trip myself, especially the hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank darrencerasi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Thai first
Enfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The hotel was good, stay ambience, breakfast served. But the biggest hassle at this hotel is communication. If you don't know Mandarin or Cantonese, please please don't go there. None of the staff is capable of speaking English. It took 2 hours to explain them that I needed a plate & two glass in my room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sudeesh74
Tel Aviv
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed there for 4 days. bad location . the staff doesnt speak any english.
first room we got was very bad , second after many hours trying to understand each other was better.
if you dont speak Mandarin -dont go there , its an hotel only for chinees people.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EitanIsrael
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights. Our family had two rooms where one had a really bad odour coming from the bathroom drainage, we complained at reception but the problem was not fixed. And the reception girls are rude and need to smile more, however the doormen were very helpful when it come to hailing at cab.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

Stayed here in Jan 2011 for two nights. Very clean and internet worked great. Spacious though the shower head could use an upgrade. For less then 500RMB a night this worked well for my budget. However, the location is really inconvenient. No restaurant around nor any fast food. On a night out I had to get off two taxis coz the drivers didn't know how to get to the hotel.

If you are traveling to Beijing and you knew you would spend little time in the hotel - this may be an option giving the price. Otherwise, you may want to consider other options - I knew I would.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

5 days spent here partly on a tour, partly doing our own thing. Clean and comfortable except found it tricky to understand the A/C controls in the room. Breakfast was splendid except it was sometimes tricky finding a table. Mostly a positive experience overall.

We needed a metro station - nearest on was 10-15 minutes walk away along a heavily trafficked and polluted main road. But still.

Restaurant at the back of the hotel served excellent duck.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Zhongshan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

I found the hotel room very comfortable. I was disappointed that I was not able to request an item (such as a hairdryer) without a major upheaval! About 3 senior staff accompanied me to my room where I pointed out in the Hotel Directory Services (English) that if I required a hairdryer, I could request it. I actually had to sketch the hairdryer at one stage and although the person in charge organised the item smartly after that, I felt unwilling to contact reception about anything further as they simply don't know enough English. A couple of the staff were very good, however, in helping me find places I wanted to visit. When I called the hotel (before my stay) about my booking, the staff hung up on me six times (because I spoke English),so eventually I called C-trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo