“Stop searching, go for this one”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #13 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stumbled on this hotel by pure luck.Being part of the Fairmont President Club, I did receive one of those corporate emails where they announced the opening of their hotel, and did throw in a low fare, as it's usually the case with all the new hotels. I jumped on it, and it didn't disappoint. I stayed here in September 2010.

The hotel is well located. All the amenities are nearby: a few cafés, Some decent Restaurant, a 7-11 on the corner etc. And it's less than 5 min walking to the metro. This same line goes straight to the Forbidden City. Very practical. We had breakfast every morning in a Bakery just before the café. You can even get a Latté, something I had pretty much accepted not to get in China. However do't ask them for Sugar as they will have this little laugh that expresses their uncomfort/embarrassment for not understanding what you mean.

The hotel is simply beautiful, and Service is close to Fairmont standards. Can't comment much on it other than communication was flawless. They helped me book my tickets for the super deluxe category sleeper train to Xi'an way ahead my arrival (these tickets go fast, and I couldn't get them from abroad). Same comments for the reception. They also speak very decent english. I guess that's the case in most hotels of this category too.

We also tried their pool and gym. It was pretty much deserted. Brand new like the rest. Very pleasant for a relaxation.

We ate at the hotel twice. Once we ordered room Service, and once ate directly. Good but expensive. Wouldn't rate it great thought. But again, by the standards of the food I had in China, this one deserves "outstanding". Funny thing I remember: while we were eating the waitress was standing 3-4 meters behind the table. Just standing there, I guess in case we need something. It was a bit creepy. I don't know if it's due to the cultural difference or this is simply a lack of experience and she didn't know how to walk the line between attentive service and being intrusive. But it was clearly a good intention, so I can't fault it. And in general, I realized that Service for luxury brands (hotels shops etc) as well as Service in upscale restaurants is something new in china. I guess that learning curve needs to happen. I wonder how much formal training the waiters and hotel staff really receive before getting the "off you go" push. This is general comment, not related to Fairmont, which did stand well above the pack of all my 7 hotel experiences in China.

Rooms are beautiful too. As someone mentioned, figuring out how the lights work in the room requires a PhD. Since I stopped my engineering at the Bachelor level, I got slightly more than half of them right. Not a bad ration in my book:)

Highly recommend the hotel. Beautiful, practical and reliable. Something that you won't always find easily in China...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank spartac

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have stayed in numerous hotels in China and the Fairmont is in the top 3. It is rated no. 1 in Tripadvisor by internationals reviewers and certainly deserves it for service, comfort and attention to details. I would rate the restaurants good but not great.
Special thanks to Xavier for his expert advices on making the most of our stay in early December 2012 in cold Beijing!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PatriiciaN
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have spent 3 nights at the Fairmont Beijing over New Year and I must say this hotel is amazing!

Rooms are large and genuinely furnished with everything you can only think about - iPod docking station, electronical curtains, huge walk-in wardrobe, huge bathroom with walk-in shower and separate bath, Japaneese (if I am not mistaken it is called like this) toilet etc... What I also love about Fairmont is their signature Le Labo 31 amenities!!!...

Staff is very attentive and helpful and are doing everything to exceed your expectations, they treat you as the most valuable guest ever!!! I want to pass my special regards to concierge David, who was doing an outstanding job!

Breakfast in the Lunar 8 is offering a wide choice from both Asian and world cuisine. You should definetely try Lunar 8 for dinner and order a Beijing duck which is know as one of the best in the city and price is very reasonable!!..

I also had a massage in Willow stream spa - which was a wonderful experience of deep and strong massage as I requested and spa itself is great!

I am experienced traveller to luxurious 5* hotel and I must say Fairmont Beijing is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

Don't hesitate to try it - you will be more than satisfied!

I wish I have stayed there longer... Next time in Beijing I will only choose Fairmont!!!

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more for A room on a Gold floor - you will definitely get a high floor and extra am...
2  Thank Felix1209
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Fairmont in Beijing is a good place to stay if you are going to be in the CBD area for business or site-seeing. The hotel is new and in good condition. We were upgraded for free to a junior suite on the executive floor and found the room to be excellent. Service overall was very good, especially in the executive lounge where they went out of their way to make sure we had what we wanted. We also ate downstairs in the main restaurant which was good although a bit over priced for what was served (although that is a general complaint about five star hotels in Beijing, not necessarily unique to the Fairmont -- one is generally better off eating in local restaurants that are not on the premises of large hotels).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed für 10 nights in a Fairmont gold suite and the experience was brilliant. Before our trip Leeann made a perfect job in giving us a welcome feeling and arranging an Audi limousine transfer from the airport. There the first positive surprise was that we were picked up directly at the gate and not after luggage reclaim. The Audi was immaculate and we even got a call during the drive asking is everything was OK. The check-in was perfectly arranged by the swiss manager Xavier and the room was absolutely fantastic. What really impressed me was the atmosphere in the gold lounge and the friendliness of the personell there, especially Dan went beyond normal duty and made us feeling very welcome in Beijing. The location was great with a subway station within a few minutes walk and with a short distance to the business district with great shopping and dining possibilities. All in All Fairmont was absolutely brilliant and sure our next pick again for staying in Beijing!

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold Suite - 86 m2 with three TV´s, one at the bath tub... Our´s was on the 19th floor.
1  Thank WGabriele
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent Christmas 2012 in Beijing and stayed 3 nights in the Fairmont hotel, unfortunately when we arrived at the airport our luggage had not arrived whic meant we had no warm clothing with us at all. However, we checked in and felt very lucky to be staying in one of the gold rooms with access to the gold lounge which was particularly nice over Christmas (endless cheese and wine 5-7pm!) where we made ourselves at home every evening. Xavier, Jessie and the team made us very welcome as "gold guests" here and its definitely worth spending a little more for this VIP treatment.

Once we had checked in we prepared to venture out into the -10 evening to seek some warm clothes in the absence of our luggage, David and the conciege team were kind enough to lend me a coat and point us in the direction of the close by silk market where we could barter for clothes - tip - they'll accept around 1/4 of their starting price in the market! so we stocked up on bargain jumpers and coats! During our stay we ordered room service a couple of times and were always happy with the prices and the quality of food - particularly the french fries! Breakfast in the gold lounge was good with a different selection each day.

On our final night, since we had a late flight we'd been granted a late check out and then Charles from the gold team told us that we could have stayed in the room up to 11pm - we didnt actually utilise this since we had dinner booked but we thought this was incredibly kind given in any other hotel you would have to pay extra for this privilage. We had dinner at the award winning "The Cut" steak restaurant where the chef Andreas and his team treated us to a meal to rival any of the top steak restaurants we're used to in Dubai - the meat was perfect and we particularly liked the "mustard tree", we'd thoroughly recommend this restaurant and thought it was very well priced for the quality.

Our room was spacious and well designed, we really liked the huge bath and the bed was extremely comfortable, the curtains provided almost blackout which was appreciated for the little naps we needed due to our jetlag! All in all - like the other reviews it was excellent.

I have to add a special mention here about Ms Emma Gu in the reservation department for her incredible patience with us prior to our trip as I asked countless questions regarding the city and attractions and she was extremely efficient at dealing with these which was really appreciated and gave us a fantastic first impression of the hotel.

Whilst the hotel is asthetically beautiful and welcoming its the staff who make it special - they're all clearly very well selected and trained and genuinely seem happy to assist the guests at every opportunity. We'll definitely continue to choose Fairmont hotels on our travels and thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a little more to be on the gold floor, the views and the lounge make it worthwhile
1  Thank katieannsenior
Michael G, General Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time posting your review on Trip Advisor. We sincerely appreciate all the positive comments about our facilities and personalized services. We highly value our employees and will commend them for graciously taking care of you. It is a real pleasure to know that you had a wonderful time during the Christmas holiday. We look forward to see you again in the near future. Best Regards.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The room had floor to ceiling windows - power shutters in the bath, carved soap dish, carved box to hold jewelry. Fresh cut flowers - lights dim or brighten with touch of a button. Remote in a
The FIT program provides fresh work out gear every day with map for jogging. Wash cloths tied with red ribbon. TV remote enclosed in a lined box. Slippers placed on a cloth mat as part of turndown service. Fresh fruit in a bowl. What’s not to like.

We had dinner at the CUT. It was outstanding - the service and food was among the best we had in China. The rib eye steaks were perfect. Definitely try the Apple Crisp, made with homemade ice cream and pastry, it is delicious!!

Another touch - after dinner at the Cut, we were surprised to see a card signed by the hotel manager and the chef, thanking us for dining with them. A box of chocolates was also left with the card, Very nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple