“Cool play to stay, definitely recommended.”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #13 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went as couple visiting Beijing as tourists for 4 nights

Location 4/5
In the business district, about 4-5km away from Tiananmen.

Parking and travel 5/5
Took about 40min to get from the airport from the hotel. Decided to opt for their pick-up service which was excellent.

Staff and service 5/5
The staff were exceptional. Special thanks to Kai (in the Gold Lounge) and Triangel (concierge) who helped us throughout our stay. Levels of English were good all round.

Room 5/5
Opted for a gold room which we upgraded at the hotel to a suite which was amazing.

Cleanliness 5/5
Faultless.

Facilities 5/5
The Gold Lounge was well worth it, complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and evening snacks if needed. The Spa and gym were fine, although empty which suited us. Champagne lounge was also cool, but full of people who looked like they belonged in the American version of the Apprentice.

Value 5/5
We used their official site and benefited from a stay 2 nights get 3rd free offer which was great.

Overall 5/5
Cool play to stay, definitely recommended.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Words are not enough to describe my feelings whenever i stayed or visited Fairmont Beijing. It's entirely a different atmosphere in comparison to those hotels that i've stayed and or visited already in China! The staffs starting from the Doormen up to the cleaners are full of enthusiasm to give you that very warm and hospitable services as usual. That's why, it's always been one of the main reason while i can't control to keep on coming back again and again to these wonderful Fairmont property's in China especially the one in Beijing. And i must say, that it's not only the magnificent place or structure of the Hotel that counts most or important, but it was mostly the people who gave this attentive and caring service, and that makes really the big difference!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2012

You will see that i always state I am a female business traveller often travelling alone so a hotel that offers great amenities to me after dark is important.

I'm going to start with the positives:

The hotel looks aesthetically stunning. Its in a good location for shopping and the hotel staff are sort of polite by the local standards.

Now although polite they do not understand you that much when you request things ie. do you have a dvd library (well miss spencer i am not so familiar with dvd) maybe you can call .... and so on .. it went around the houses so much i gave up.

Can I watch premium movies in my room - around the houses again I gave up!!

Rooms cleaned but pillows not changed - i'm sleeping in post make up etc?? rubbish left behind the bins, floors not mopped even a 3 star hotel mops the floor!

at breakfast - food was always cold, the Chinese guests were often given priority over western travellers and quite often i had to leave my table and re order food that was simply forgotten

room service - food was always below par, always cold and to top it off I got food poisening the evening before an 11 hour flight -

WIFI - i have to work daily from my room I complained everyday that it went down and only on day 5 did they proceed to tell me i would need to move rooms to get it fixed - not good enough i work for a magazine with tight deadlines and had to do 18 hours shifts to get the work out - the hotel did offer a free 1 hour massage but with food poisening the following day it did little to take the sting out of things

A hotel of this standard - should not be serving food that can cause food poisening it should be fresh considering its price tag - its food should be sumptous and piping hot!

I am awaiting response from the Fairmont Hotel and if my complaint is dealt with accordingly I will submit a further review of the resolution but considering I had a blissful stay at the Intercontinental the year before (you can see my review) there is no excuse for the lack of urgency to my needs, appalling service, and bloody agonising food poisening.

I want to add I never ate outside of the hotel to avoid such a thing happening.

1  Thank BusyBeeEssex
Brett H, Director of Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Ms. Spencer,

I apologize for not meeting your expectations during your visit. As per your verbal and e-mail correspondence with us, we hope you agree we have addressed your concerns appropriately and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Since I have nothing to compare it to-having never stayed anywhere else in Beijing- I suppose it is fantastic. The location is convenient to a subway line, putting you in easy reach of anywhere- if you are comfortable taking trains. But I do not think (or I do not know) if the neighborhood itself is great for walking around. The room was well-decorated with high-quality furnishings, well-equipped with all the requisite mod cons (including a toilet that does way more than what I am looking for in a toilet), extremely comfortable, and spotlessly clean. The bath was heavenly. The breakfast buffet was all anyone could ever ask for and more. The concierge was out-of-their-way helpful and accommodating. The facilities were generally excellent, and I wish I had brought a bathing suit and workout clothes. I don't always bother to lug extra stuff, but it would have been worth it to this time. The business center was only open by appt and as such was not convenient at the time I needed to use it. I don't know if this was the norm, so please research this if you need to use a business center while here. Room service was very good. I was fortunate to have gotten a corporate rate, making my stay an incredible value. Perhaps if I stay elsewhere on a future business trip to Beijing I would better be positioned to comment on the value versus others hotels. But a stay in any other world-class city at a hotel of this caliber would be 2-3 times the cost I paid and for that I am grateful to have been able to stay here at the rate I got. Is it THE place to stay in Beijing? According to many other reviews it is, but can't comment on that. I can only say, that I highly doubt you'll be disappointed and I would recommend it highly!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

So glad I took the advice of trip advisor. The hotel lived up to its recommendations. Rooms were beautiful and we upgraded to executive gold which had afternoon tea and happy hour with food and drinks from 5 till 7 pm. This also allowed us to have a 6 pm check out at no extra cost. The silk market was 5 mins walk and the metro stop was very close. Tianiamen square was 4 stops away. I also had the best Peking duck I have tasted in the Resturant there.

• Stayed: November 2012
Brett H, General Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your kind feedback!
We look forward to welcome you again!

Operations Director

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My first time to this hotel and what a joy it is to be greeted by such pleasant young staff only too happy to be of service . Whilst I was one of many guests checking in as a group ,. the front office staff were able to handle the influx with ease and efficiency whilst handling the needs of other arriving guests with politeness and minimal waiting time. To dine is a joy - with a a most relaxing and comforting restaurant on the LOWER LOBBY LEVEL-- start your day with a breakfast that will surely please--- a great selection of choices,. From the lobby bar with its relaxed atmosphere and ambience to the meeting rooms to the , must see. swimming pool, gym and health facilities, this hotel has class .The bedrooms and bathrooms are lighting combine to make your return to your room at the end of your day a great expectation.------to comfort.

1  Thank EXTOURMANAGER
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I am surprised by all these wonderful reviews written about this hotel. My own experience was unfortunately not a good one at all. First, I am a savvy traveler, which means that I have stayed enough 5 star hotels in the world and particularly in China to make judgment confidently.

Fairmont Beijing presents it as a 5-star hotel. The truth is that is a 5-star on surface, 3-star in essence. Here are the reasons :

1. From top to bottom, this hotel is made of cheap materials. One of them is the wall. In your room, you can hear every noise in the next room, TV, door bell, chatting, snoring etc.. Good luck if you want to have a quiet night.
2. The decor of the room is very basic. The curtain, sofa, control buttons, cushion cover and especially the towels, all the small details are made very low quality materials, just like most things made in China.
3. The food was very mediocre, whether the breakfast or regular dish on the menu, the lowest level ever that I had in luxury Chinese hotels. Most place in China offer decent food. They did not even cut the Peking duck right.
4. Service: When the house-keeping lady came to my room to do the turn-down service, I told her to come back in 5 minutes as I was getting ready to go out. She went to next door finishing her job in lightening speed, and knocked on my door again in 3 minutes. When I told her, it had not been 5 minutes yet, she said, but she already finished the other room. So I told her to come back in 2 minutes. She defiantly told me that she would wait right in front of my door instead of coming back 2 minutes. What a persistence! I wonder whether she has ever been trained by Fairmont!
5. Last but most warning sign: A black spot on a clean bath towel - I could not believe my eyes. A careful examination concluded it was one of the most disgusting discovery ever experienced in my hotel staying - BOOGER ON A HOTEL "CLEAN" TOWEL. It was so disgusting that I could not even bring it up to anyone until my colleague told me that he suspected the towels in his room were used by the previous guest(s), the hotel obviously did not think it is necessary to wash them for the next guest for whatever the reason.

5  Thank houzi

I'm sorry that you left our hotel with this impression. It's unfortunate that we did not have the opportunity to speak with you about your concerns while you were still with us. I invite you to call me directly to speak further on your stay.

Operations Director