“Best hotel experience I've ever had”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Ranked #12 of 6,564 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel has everything: great location, superior service, excellent restaurants, exceptional spa and fitness centers, and attention to detail.

The hotel is in the central business district and only 2 blocks from a subway station. I'd recommend using the subway as it is very easy to navigate (signs and announcements are in English) and Beijing taxis are notorious at either ripping you off or not knowing where they're going. Before going out be sure to get a card from the staff that contains a map of the Fairmont hotel. We were out once after the subway had closed and even though we were only a 5 minute drive from the hotel we were refused by several taxis when we showed them our hotel room card. They simply didn't know where the hotel was, even with the address!

My wife and I stayed in a Gold Room Junior Suite which was luxurious, spacious, and well thought out. My wife was delighted with the spaciousness of the walk-in closet and huge bathroom with enormous shower, soaking tub with flatscreen TV, heated floors, double sinks, and a very modern (with button controls) toilet (we never experienced a seat warmer on a toilet before, but it's quite nice!). The room was located on the skybridge of the hotel which afforded great views of downtown Beijing. It was equipped with a divine king sized bed, plush furniture, a large flatscreen TV, a bose ipod/iphone docking station & radio, a desk/work area with computer hookups, an easy to use phone that had a large lcd screen on it, free wired & wireless internet, and A/V connections at the desk to allow display of the computer's screen onto the large flatscreen TV in the room (good for watching movies off your laptop, presentation or conference calls). Although we weren't here for business, we could see that this room was well equipped for the businessperson.

We are big into health and fitness and we were pleasantly surprised at what the Fairmont had to offer. The fitness center was quite large with lots of cardio equipment (each with it's own TV with the ability to watch/listen to your ipod), and ample machines and dumbbells. The locker rooms are very nice, large, and equipped with private showers and a steam room and sauna. We took a look at the pool which was adequate for lap swimming and lounging. Off to the side was a smaller heated pool with jets, padded chairs in the water, and padded beds in the water to enjoy the bubbles. There is also a yoga studio with nightly yoga or pilates classes. We saw that a Tai Chi class was offered as well. My wife took advantage of the spa with a facial treatment and massage and said it was heavenly. Additionally, and much to my pleasant surprise, included in our room packet was a jogging map with routes around the hotel for various lengths and the hotel offered a jogging station at the corner of the hotel to provide you with a towel and water after your run! I've never heard of such thoughtfulness from a hotel! I quite enjoyed the morning 4k runs. Also, the room service menu catered to any dietary restrictions/preferences.

The main perk of Gold rooms is access to the Gold Lounge on the 20th floor. The breakfast is excellent as it has a blend of western and Chinese cuisine. It has eggs made to order, fresh juices, pastries, fruit, muesli, yogurt, cheeses, etc. It lasts until noon so you can sleep in and need not worry about missing out on breakfast. The afternoon tea, happy hour, and late snack are excellent as well. You can get full (and drunk) on the happy hour by itself and have no need to go out for dinner (Although, I highly recommend dinner at The Cut on the 2nd floor - which is a top 10 TripAdvisor restaurant of Beijing). The staff in the Gold Lounge is top notch. After meeting you once, they all remember your name and follow up on previous conversation that you had with them (usually offering great recommendations and advice on things to do or see). They are extremely friendly and versatile as they can take your order for food or drinks and make any arrangements that you need done (booking tours, transportation, etc)

I recommend booking through their website because they are always offering specials - they aren't silly offers either, like buy 10 nights, get the 11th free. At the time of my booking they were offering 3 nights for the price of 2, and free upgrades to Gold rooms (which is what I chose). Additionally, immediately after booking online I was offered to be on a "standby upgrade" status. If an upgraded room was available upon check-in I would be automatically upgraded for only 50% of the normal upgrade fee. I choose which upgraded rooms I wanted to be on standby for, and when I did check in I was bumped up to a Gold Junior Suite at half the normal upgrade cost!

Overall, The Fairmont Beijing is an amazing experience with unparalleled service, amenities, and quality. This will be the only place we will stay when in Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank liveitup29

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Fairmont in September 2012, after recommendations from tripadvisor. The hotel was excellent, and the rooms really luxurious, especially the bed. One of the most comfortable i have ever slept in. The rooms are great, and a decent size, as was the bathroom. Although the hotel was great, it was my first visit to Beijing, and it is located in the business district. Next visit i might change to another location, as the area is fairly quiet, especially on the weekends. We had access to the club floor which was great. We had an interleading suite as we travelled with our 3 kids, ages 10, 8 and 4. The hotel was really lovely to them. The restaurant downstairs, is a must for Peking (or Beijing) duck in Beijing. Sensational meal. The steakhouse, Cut, was also excellent and worth going to.

Room Tip: Book a room with access to the club floor. Its really excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank marc-hirschowitz
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed here for one night in a Fairmont Gold Junior Suite on the 20th floor and were very impressed with everything about this hotel - the quality, attention to detail, staff, cuisine, everything! Our room was enormous with great views over the CBD and the quality of the room's fixtures, accessories, etc were incredible. We thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary use of the Gold Lounge, where the service was amazing, always with a smile (particularly Kai) and the food was delicious - complimentary afternoon tea, hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, desserts and breakfast were all beautifully presented, tasty, and the staff were always willing to lend a hand. The staff were amazing, perfect English, and always knew us by name which was an extra special experience. We had sushi at Lunar 8 which was, by far, the best sushi we've ever eaten - fresh, delicate and flavourful, made fresh to your specifications. We also ordered room service which was carefully laid out in our room with iced water, side salads, flowers - it really did make the experience all the more special. We'd also like to make particular mention of the staff who, late at night, went out of their way to help us and quickly and efficiently went to a pharmacy to get some medication for us - having asked for directions to one they instead took care of everything for us which we very very impressed with and grateful for. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay at a luxury establishment that truly does deserve the #1 position in China, and I will definitely be staying again if I get the opportunity.

Room Tip: Pay extra to stay on the Gold Floor - it's well worth it, especially for the beautiful complimen...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joern S, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us during your recent holiday in Beijing. We are absolutely delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

I was particularly happy to read that our colleagues truly made a difference during your stay. We are very fortunate to have such engaged colleagues who take personal pride in "turning moments into memories" for all our guests. One of the key factors motivating them to be courteous and caring is to know that our guests truly apreciate their hard work and efforts. Your feedback has certainly done that.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your experience and we do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Personal Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This Hotel is an excellent choise as a Business Hotel, Its located close to the CBD but yet away from the Hustle and bustle... I was upgraded to a Junior Suite as they were sold out on the Superior Room that I had booked... The Suite was very luxurious with great in room entertainment options..

Room Tip: Internet is Free if you enroll for thier Fairmont Loyalty Program - Fairmont Presidents Club
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing Fairmont Beijing as your preferred destination during your recent business trip to Beijing and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review your experience.
We are pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and hope that we will have many more opportunities to welcome you to our hotel or any other Fairmont property in the near future.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked this hotel for our December 2011 visit to Beijing strictly on the basis it was No: 1 on Tripadvisor. Shortly after our booking which was paid in full one month before our holiday we received an email from Ping Wang saying that the hotel will undergo renovations so we could either stay at the Raffles at the same rate or get a refund. Considering the Raffles was cheaper than what we had already paid the Fairmont we decided to get our money back. I requested a receipt for the refund and waited. A few days go by and nothing was sent or any emails replied. Bear in mind we needed the money ASAP to book a different hotel. I called them up and spoke to Cindy Wang which at least tried to help me unlike Ping Wang who just ignored me. After many emails and telephone calls which cost me a lot as I was obviously calling from Europe she informed me that I had to wait another week for the receipt (not the money) as the finance manager was waiting approval from the hotel leader who was on a business trip. By then I realised I was dealing with a Mickey Mouse establishment and threatened I would call headquarters in Canada. Then Cindy Wang emailed me saying that the renovations had finished. How could they think the renovations would last a month and finished in a week? I obviously still wanted my money back as they had lost my trust. Eventually I received an email from James Bevans with a refund receipt in Chinese attached. He also said it will take 4 weeks to get the money and that he will contact me again to see if I received it, never heard from him again. In the meantime we forked out the money and paid off the credit card ourselves in order to book a different hotel. Then happened the most ridiculous thing from this endless story. When we come back from our holiday we got a refund from the hotel we ended up staying at and not from the Fairmont. The amount was a little less than what we had initially paid the Fairmont but I was so tired from this bizarre story that I didn’t want to dig any deeper. I’ve stayed at many hotels in my life and I’ve never had anything as confusing as this before. I know nothing makes sense in China but this was something else, and was coming from a serious western hotel chain. The customer service was horrendous their response time atrocious and China’s payment methods are shambolic. Either way we had a great time at the other hotel and realised that the Fairmont is nowhere near Wangfujing where it all happens.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Charalambosh
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is modern, beautiful and in a sensational position in Beijing. But as with most holiday experiences its the people who make it and I can't speak highly enough about the staff at the Fairmont. Shamelessly I'll admit it was the Fairmont Gold club and Xavier and his crew were incredible. We were met as we stepped off the plane and the service didn't stop till we had checked into the next flight . We wanted to take Kai from the Gold Lounge back home with us to Melbourne. Great hotel experience.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank GeorgeSpyropoulos

First of all thank you very much for staying with us during your recent trip to Beijing. We are delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and are grateful for the recognition you have given our colleagues. It is such feedback as yours which is the key motivating factor for our colleagues to provide memorable experiences for all our guests.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and we do hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I'd read all the fantastic reviews of the Fairmont, so my expectations were pretty high, but my experience far exceeded my expectations! I decided to upgrade to a Gold room - it was a great decision. Having access to the executive lounge was a great perk, but my room on the 21st floor was the biggest advantage - it was huge and had an outstanding view. The bathroom was great, with a huge walk in shower, a deep soaking tub, lots of fluffy towels and every possible amenity. I arranged for a wakeup call and it was delivered with a fresh cup of coffee!
The staff of the Gold Lounge was attentitive and helpful. Everyone addressed me by name each time I visited the lounge. I had breakfast in the lounge each day of my visit. They offered eggs or omlettes as well as standard continental breakfast faire. The mini cinnamon donuts were fabulous.
I spent 3 days at the Fairmont in the middle of a two week trip throughout Asia. I honestly didn't want to leave the hotel - I knew the hotels on the rest of the trip couldn't live up to the experience at the Fairmont. I was treated as a valued guest in every way. I have stayed at lots of top hotels all over the world, but few have lived up to the service and experience at the Fairmont Beijing.
I really hope to visit Beijing again and I would love to stay at the Fairmont again.

Room Tip: upgrade to a Gold level room if possible, it's worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Joern S, Director of Rooms at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at our hotel during your recent visit to Beijing.
We are so pleased to see that you had a great stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations!! We are very fortunate to have fantastic colleagues who take great pride in creating memorable experiences for our guests through providing warm and personal service!
I have taken the liberty to share your review with the team and they are truly grateful for the time you have taken to recognize their efforts!
I hope you had an enjoyable remainder of your trip through China and we are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the not-too-distant future.