“Small details - Big difference !”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #15 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We chosed this hotel based on TA reviews. First time in Beijing, and in China. We have never felt more pampered in our life, and we have stayed in a lot of 5-stars hotels throughout the world. Other reviews spoke volumes about this hotel, I'd like to add 2 "small" details that made all the difference:
1) While waiting for the cable to return from the Great Wall, my husband suddently exclaimed: "my wedding ring, I've lost it" ! We thought he probably lost it while applying sun lotion while on the wall, since the ring was loose a bit. We went back, no such luck. All the way back to Beijing he went like "40 years I'm wearing it... and now is lost" and I said "never mind, we'll make a copy....". Back at Fairmont, he went to the bathroom and I heard him saying "I can't believe it, the maid found it"!!!!!! She placed in the middle of a towel, so that we could immediately spot it. I can't say how overjoyed we were, and how much we appreciated the thoughtfull gesture.
2) We were in Beijing due to the Jewish New Year, a holiday spanning this year over 4 days. We received a greeting card, in English and Hebrew, signed by all the staff catering to us. How nice of them to pay attention to this detail, receiving something "home" away from home.
We can't thank them enough. All in all, it was a great stay, which enabled a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: Even the non-Gold room are excellent.
1  Thank danielakorem
FairmontBeijing, Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Fairmont Beijing, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities and our service.

I was very pleased to learn that we found your wedding ring, that would have been a terrible loss.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review the Fairmont Beijing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)

Reviewed September 29, 2011

After two nights in Beijing in a respectable clean but so uncomfortable hostel, leading to two sleepless nights, we chose to leave and picked the Fairmont due to Tripadvisor reviews....what bliss to flop down on the beds!!

Perfect hotel, perfect pool, perfect room with a TV in the bathroom, what an oasis of calm after enduring a day out in manic Beijing! If only we could stay in this level of comfort every time we travelled....

Check in smooth, check out a little stressful due to computer glitches but eventually sorted.

The location is such that you need to use taxis to get to the Forbidden City etc and as getting a taxi to stop for you in Beijing is well nigh impossible, recommend you organise half or full day tours.

Hotel is, however, only a two minute stroll to a fabulous shopping mega mall where you can spend hours, and money, haggling with the hundreds of stall holders. There are of course more traditional department stores and boutiques if you prefer to shop the western way, but it is not as much fun!

Lots of restaurants too, of varying standards, from the tiny holes in the wall to full on white tablecloth service. Beware the local Starbucks uses condensed style milk, unlike McDonalds which make a great latte using fresh milk.

The pool was the best indoor hotel pool we have come across. We had it to ourselves for three hours. It was spotless, the right temperature, a great size, and regularly checked by staff. The spas, with a choice of lie down or sit up, were also spotless, but very hot, which is what you want in a spa to keep the germs away, so you can only spend a few minutes in them.

And oh how we loved the beds and missed them throughout the remainder of our travels through China: even the beds in Xian Sofitel were hard as wood.

If we were to visit Beijing again, which is highly unlikely, we would save our pennies and only stay at the Fairmont. And hopefully get a 3 for 2 deal again!

Room Tip: A twin bed room gives you a lot more space!
1  Thank LydiaNSW

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Fairmont Beijing, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our pool facilities and our comfortable beds.

I noticed your comment about taxis in Beijing, which are a challenge for all the deluxe hotels in the city, we do recommend our guests book a car or taxi in advance if they are sightseeing. Alternatively the nearest subway is not more than 2 minutes walk away at the end of the street we are located on.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review the Fairmont Beijing and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Truly excellent if you are there for business as the location is right in the CBD. Not recommended for leisure unless you are up for the subway. Subway station is just 5min walk away from the Hotel. Most cab drivers would not know the way too, but you can just get the cab driver to speak with the Hotel. We also experienced that most cabs will not want to go this way from the attractions due to the congestion in the area during week nights.
Service was efficient and friendly, the good old Fairmont ways. Room and the bedding was comfortable and luxurious. You just want to snug up in bed the whole day. You can expect all your 5 star amenities in the room. My favorite feature is still your very own Nespresso machine in the room.
If you will order room service, the Fairmont club is a do not miss! Yummilicious!
Tip for leisure travellers, you'll get a too good to miss up rate for weekends over most online booking engines.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Fairmont Beijing, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially the Fairmont Gold lounge.

I noticed your comment about taxis in Beijing, which are a challenge for all the deluxe hotels in the city and their guests. We do recommend our guests book a car or taxi in advance if they are sightseeing. As you mentioned the subway is at the end of the street we are located on.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have just returned from a three week holiday in China. The first stop was Beijing. In fact we were booked into another hotel and I was looking at Tripadvisor 5 days before our departure and saw the Fairmont was the number one choice. There was a special offer of 3 nights for the price of 2 which made it $300 cheaper than the other hotel we had booked; it was a no brainer. We cancelled the other hotel and stayed on The Gold Club floor at the Fairmont. It was quiet luxury at its best.
Our room was the best designed we have ever had, there was nothing to fault. In the bathroom it had a Japanise toilet that did nearly everything for you, mirrors were in the right place and the bed and linens perfect. Aaa the room and bathroom hardware was of the highest quality.
In the concierge lounge we were always called by our names and the food was delicious .
We dined in the hotel and that again was not over-expensive and good.
An added unknown extra was it was 200 yards from The Silk Market the best market in Beijing..
The Fairmont is world class and is a must if you like luxury.

1  Thank pennytourslondon
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This hotel is fantastic and a great loaction in the business district. I've stayed at maybe a dozen Fairmonts now and this one has the nicest rooms I've been in. For China total luxury. Fresh flowers, beautiful design & artwork, huge bathroom with massive walk in shower, Toto toilet, soaker tub with a pillow and flat screen, very comfy bed, auto controlled everything, Bose stereo, huge flat screen tv, etc.... Look forward to going back!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We just arrived home from a wonderful week in Beijing, staying at the Fairmont Beijing.
I don't always write a review, but in this case, felt I must! The staff at the Fairmont Beijing,
go out of their way to make you feel special, from the extremely helpful concierge desk
to the outgoing doormen. One of the highlights of our stay was the Fairmont Beijing offers BMW bicycles with an Iphone app to tour the local sites. Hans, the General Manager, who takes the time to chat with hotel guests, told us about this unique hotel service. Xavier, came down to assist us with the ride, made sure we knew the rules of the road and to ensure we felt comfortable. It was an amazing experience to ride with the locals, and see the local historical sites, such as Ho Hi Lake, Forbidden City, etc. The hotel is located in central Beijing, easy walking distance to the Silk Market and other popular locations. The staff in the Gold Lounge really made our trip extra special! Bella, Annie, Erica, Toni and Katrina were so attentive and helpful ... always a smile and a kind word to say! The rooms are beautifully decorated and appointed, a wonderful retreat after a long day! I would highly recommend the Fairmont Beijing on your next visit to China!

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I had a two day business trip to Beijing and decided to try out the Fairmont hotel. It’s a good choice since it offers “affordable luxury” while not bursting the budget.This however does come with some negatives as we later found out.

Arriving

Book a hotel car to pick me from airport. The Beijing airport Terminal 3 was impressive, with the dark chrome ceiling and distinctive architecture. Equally impressive is that the airport pickup comes with meet and greet services included. Traffic in Beijing has gotten worse since I last visited 3 years ago but that was expected. On arrival at the airport, I was first escorted to the lounge for check-in procedures before I was shown to the room.

The Room

I booked a Grand Deluxe Gold Room and while perhaps not exactly grand, it’s definitely big. I supposed at least 60m2 which qualifies it as a junior suite. The long entrance foyer is flanked by a large marbled ensuite bathroom on the left and a full size walk in closet on the right. There’s a large working desk and a King Size Bed with a sitting area with sofa chairs. TV and DVD entertainment rom Philips. Ipod dock and Bose CD sound system provided. Full size wall to ceiling windows but unfortunately no nice view to enjoy.

The hotel must have studied and compiled a list of A to Z amenities that top 5-star hotels have and provided them in this Room. Wireless internet? Checked. TV in bathroom? Checked. Electronic Toilet? Checked. Slippers? Welcome Fruit plate? Nepresso coffee machine? Electronic curtains? In-desk A/V connections? Checked, checked, checked, checked and checked! It’s nice to see everything I expected from a top hotel room is there. This is a room with complete amenities.

I am glad to find that the King Bed is quite comfortable with quality linens. Not exactly top of the line but does provide a good night sleep. The bathroom however, is laughable. Not in a bad way, no. It’s spacious, complete with deep soaking tub, nice rainforest shower and Harris Miller premium toiletries. What’s funny is that since the room is called “Gold Room”, ie the name for Fairmont to describe club rooms, they decided to make all bathroom fittings gold plated. Especially pompous is the shower room with a full gold bar like shower setup complete with gold plated shower stick… LOL!. In this age of modern sophisticated luxury, where understated elegance is the preferred style, this looks really comical. However, I can appreciate that some folks will like this flashy design. It’s give the illusion of living like an emperor.

No much to complain about the room except the air condition which is quirky and likes to regulate the temperature by turning on and off. The lighting is also rather quirky to setup. I have to play with it before I can finally turn off all the lights while leaving the bathroom like on.

Common Areas and The Club Lounge

The owner obviously invested a lot of money into the common areas to decorate them, with soaring atrium ceiling and a eye-catching snake like crystal chandelier. There are also a large collection Chinese antiques showcased throughout the hotel.

The Club Lounge is located on the 20th floor and serve morning breakfast and evening cocktail. The breakfast is limited in selection and I found the buffet at the café much better. The cocktail food servings were stingy, with just some canapés ( very small size ) and barely any hot food. The service is attentive but staff basically follow by the book. The only tangible benefit for me is faster check-in and check-out, free in-room internet and the convenience of having free drinks at the lounge.

The hotel has limited number of restaurants, only a café and a western restaurant and surprisingly, no Chinese restaurant. This is not good for business travelers like myself who want to entertain guests and there is nothing more sophisticated on offer.

Location

This is the worse part of the hotel and something that the hotel can do absolutely nothing about. While located in central Beijing, it is at a relatively remote location among some office buildings. It’s so remote that isn’t even a taxi queue in front of the hotel so when guest need a taxi, the bell hop has to run out to the streets to try to hail one and at times there is a long wait. Even more annoying is that sometimes, the bellhop will go missing and we have to wait for him to turn up to get us a cab. Walking around, we notice there are a lack of shops or restaurants nearby and the popular Chaoyang district is about 30 mins walking. No wonder the hotel charges rates that are lower than those in better locations.

Nothing much to complain really. Service is quite attentive and whenever I call for something, someone will quickly turn up. Staff are obviously well trained. Maybe they can be a bit more friendly but Beijing people are usually more reserved.

Conclusion

It’s difficult to rate the Fairmont Beijing. It offers nice rooms with complete modern amenities, but there isn’t any aspect of the hotel that makes it stands out. It’s like a cookie-cutter luxury hotel so often seen in China nowadays. Moreover, the location is bad. I decided to rate it 4 out of 5 which means good, because there isn’t really much to fault except the location which is something the hotel can’t do anything about. It’s unlikely I will come back again on my next trip to Beijing as I find the location to be too inconvenient.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BENLEE123