“Disappointed and overpriced”

BeiJing XiaoWangFu (GuangHua Road)
Ranked #215 of 12,819 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Guomao
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had very high expectations coming in based on glowing reviews from several of the guide books as well as Trip Advisor readers.

On the plus side, were their star attraction pork ribs, green beans with pork, and crispy cucumber salad. The lengthy list of negatives were all based on high prices without value for money: 38Y for a 200ml bottle of water and a 15% service charge (the only Beijing restaurant I visited that had such a service tax) for mediocre service. The biggest disappointment however was the duck. Menu listed a whole Peking duck for 238Y. I requested a half duck portion which was not listed on the menu. The waiter brought us what looked to be an old, reheated pile of duck meat on a plate. It was burned, dry and lifeless, This had clearly been cut hours ago and popped back into the oven. I was later surprised to see the restaurant try to charge us 198Y for the duck carcass. Please know, there are many fine restaurants in Beijing where you can enjoy a freshly carved whole duck for less than what paid for the reheated half here at this restaurant.

Stay away from this overpriced disappointment and head instead to Da Dong or Li Qun.

1  Thank tippyview

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Wide range of dishes for all tastes, Asian and Western. Try the superb salt and pepper ribs or if you are feeling adventurous, the kidneys with coriander. The Guanghua Lu location is rougher around the edges; or go inside the north gate of Ritan Park for the upmarket version.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Probably my 3rd time here in 3 years. First off, do not be mislead by the words "home restaurant." The restaurant at GuangHuaLu (near China World Trade Center) is occupies a large 3 storey building, with an external smoke/roast house just for preparing the duck and other roasted items.

Most locals, and some expats/tourists eat here.

Menu is extensive. Servings are very large. Food is good, hearty (read oily and salty), and relatively cheap. Service is "Beijing - style," abrupt if you are not used to it.

Do try the duck, in all its variations. Avoid the deep friend pork spare ribs, which are mainly chopped left-over bones with most of the meat removed for use in other dishes.

1  Thank Lance-Travellot
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I ate at a lot of restaurants in Beijing and this was my absolute favorite. Great quality of food and it's a real taste of Chinese cuisine. I will say, that if it has peppers next to it on the menu, it is HOT! But it's a delicious hot, so there's that.

Gan Bian Niu Rou Si is one of the dishes that I got and it was my favorite thing that I ate during my month in China. But also try the duck wings and quail eggs...

2  Thank GuidoBandido
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We went twice to the Crown Plaza location of this restaurant.
We had great food in a lovely ambience and at reasonable prices.
Half a Peking Duck for only 99 yuan!
Could not ask for more (obviously, we went twice)

2  Thank AncientSpy007