“Worth the effort to find, but choose carefully”

Hetang Yuese Su Shi Guo Zhan
Ranked #2,223 of 12,753 Restaurants in Beijing
Neighborhood: China International Exhibition Centre
Neighborhood: China International Exhibition Centre
Reviewed June 22, 2014

First and foremost: Some online guides indicate that there are two locations for this restaurant, one in Chaoyang and another in Haidian. After an extended wild goose chase in June 2014, I discovered that the Haidian branch is no longer open. So the Chaoyang branch is your only choice.

The restaurant is a 10- minute walk from the subway (Line 13, Liufang station). However, I then spent at least 45 minutes wandering around, trying to find the restaurant, asking numerous locals in my Pidgin Mandarin where it was. I finally found it with the help of an old man who took me to 24 Liufang Nanli (the entrance to the complex), handed me off to an old woman who took me down the street and turned left, and then handed me off to a young mother, who walked with me and her infant son until we found the restaurant on the left. Whether it's really at #12 is somewhat beyond me, even after having eaten there, but I'm willing to believe it. If your Chinese isn't fluent, then expect to need some patience to find the restaurant. Which you can argue is good for building up an appetite.

I enjoyed a few dishes while here, and was even invited to eat and chat with an English ex-pat who took pity on my broken Mandarin. My English dining companion is a vegan who has been living in Beijing for 18 months, and comes to the restaurant twice a week, he says. So while my food experience was good, it wasn't exceptional -- but I'm willing to chalk that up to poor choices on my part.

I personally ordered the mock roast duck, a cold rice-bean porridge, and a sweet-and-sour fried eggplant dish. My dining companion let me try some of his Chinese yam and an herbal tea. In all of these cases, I found that the food was good, but a little weird and bland, erring on side of being too sweet. The porridge was extremely bland, actually.

There were so many items on the menu that it was hard to pick, and I do plan to give this restaurant another try when I return to Beijing in August, taking some other reviewers' responses and suggestions into account. However, it is possible that their chef's taste is different from my own.

Most items on the menu are quite reasonably priced; I ended up paying about 150 yuan for a large, filling meal. (They were happy to pack up the leftovers of my eggplant dish.) However, there are some dishes that are extremely expensive, with rare mushrooms -- so do be careful when ordering, and don't assume that just because it's vegetarian, you'll get off cheap!

The waitresses were extremely friendly, nice, and helpful, and were willing to suffer through my Chinese. And while they gave me a funny look when I asked, they did in fact accept my credit card for payment.

The restaurant is beautiful, quiet, and clean. There weren't too many other diners there when I went, but I hope that this reflects the hour of my arrival (about 7:30 p.m.) rather than the quality or its standing in the general community.

Not the best vegetarian restaurant I've been to in Beijing, but certainly not a bad one.

2  Thank ReuvenLerner

Reviewed May 3, 2014

The menu had a wide selection of dishes, tea selection was also very nice. It was a lunch meal, so I didn't have much time to enjoy as many dishes as I wanted. The location is quite a challenge to find, but worth the trip.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Imagine all of the food you like... with it's bad side effects and health issues and all of it's good taste. Remove the bad side and you are left with the food from Lotus in Moonlight. I visited this restaurant in 2009 and have been searching for it ever since.... Only recently did I find it on TripAdvisor by translating the name on the card I kept for the last 4 years. Btw, I never kept
a business card in my life. That's the only one in my wallet. For those who doubt, it has a budha on the front and the calendar of 2009 in the back. If there is one restaurant I will remember in Beijing, it will be this one. Even Dadong comes second. I am a meat lover, but even they don't serve meat, I put this restaurant on top of my list as they can mimic any kind of meat with god knows what. Who cares anyway... it's delicious. (do not trust the "visited" date as it was too long before I could find it on TripAdvisor).

2  Thank MtlTraveler01
Reviewed August 25, 2012

There are 2 locations here in Beijing. I have tried the one on Liufang Nanli. This is the best restaurant that I have experienced. I cannot find a dish that I don't like. The service is prompt and courteous. And, the interior is beautiful. I discovered this wonderful restaurant on my first visit to Beijing through the kindness of a stranger. I was looking for a nice vegetarian meal after several days of traditional Beijing fare. A kind woman emerged from the subway and said she knew a good spot. She walked me through her neighbourhood and showed me "Lotus in Moonlight". Walking distance from the Liufang subway (Line 13), but get it mapped out carefully as it is a little hard to find. It's nestled in a dense residential section... but it is really there! The do faux meat dishes and so many amazing mushroom dishes. Spicy, not-spicy... soups, cold dishes. You will find things that look familiar and you will see lots of new. I don't want to set your expectations so high that you miss the surprise that I enjoyed. However, this is not just another meal. Run by Chan Buddhists - be sure to visit the gift shop after your meal. Credit cards accepted.

1  Thank barefoothare
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I visited Lotus in Moonlight with vegetarian friends. The experience was perfect from beginning to end. The menu is filled with beautiful photos of the items on the menu. I suspected that the actual dishes wouldn't compare with the pictures.
I was wrong. Each dish that arrived was lovely to behold and delicious. Many of the dishes contain vegearian versions of meat, duck, beef, pork. Without exception, what we ordered was delicious! As a carnivore, I found each dish perfectly satisfying
We also ordered a fruit tea containing apple and rose which was lovely.
The restaurant itself is lovely and calm, right down to the fat cat dozing on a window ledge. It is located on an interesting street, where we watched a game which seemed to be a mixture of hacky sack and volleyball in a park located between the restaurant and the busier street where we caught a taxi.
Anyone, vegetarian or carnivore, will enjoy the excellent food.

1  Thank karph