“Staff are so nice and the location is Great !!”

Flowering House Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #75 of 1,434 Beijing B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This hutong is in a great location, it is within walking distance to the Forbidden city, Tianamen Sq and my favorite place NanLuoGuXiang Alley. NanLuoGuXiang Alley is a cool place for food and drink in the evenings with live music and all sorts going on.
I will say at the hutong the rooms were a bit small but I expected this already, you should be aware it is far from luxury but is clean and beautiful in its own way
The girls at reception are really good fun tho and are willing to help with anything you might need.

I would say however that if you are going to book any trips the hotel is really expensive, if you go to Forbidden City or Tianamen Sq you will be offered much better deals.

All in all it was the perfect place to stay for us and definitely recommend it!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel had a great location for accessing many different parts of Beijing. The surrounding hutongs are teeming with life, and you get a great taste of day to day living by simply walking around the area. It's a short walk to Nanluoguxiang hutong, and just a bit further to the Houhai area with several lakes and lots of bars and restaurants. There is a subway station within a 5 minute walk. The wifi worked well the whole time. The staff was friendly, and everyone spoke English well.

My room was charming but small, though I didn't need it for anything other than sleeping really. The bathroom was a bit cramped, but I didn't think this was such a bad thing. If you want a fancy room when you travel, then this isn't the place for you. If you're more focused on the location and activities available when you leave your room, then this place is great. I found the neighborhood much more charming compared to staying in a hotel closer to the Forbidden City, which I did for a couple nights after staying at Flowering House.

I bought a bicycle on the street after I arrived, and I think this is the best way to see the city. From the hotel, I rode to Tiananmen, the Forbidden City, Houhai, and even the Olympic Park. The courtyard itself was charming, and I spent several evenings drinking beer and relaxing at the tables outside.

Room Tip: My friend had the "comfort room" which was right next to my standard room, and his room wa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I arrived there on Friday evening and I left on Sunday at 5pm. I stated in a single room by myself without a private bathroom.

In general: This place is nice and cozy. It is exactly what you expected from a hostel. People here are super nice, they speak English and they go above and beyond their way to make sure you are well accommodated. They will answer all your questions and even though I checked out at 9am on Sunday morning, they agreed to keep my luggage until 5pm, when I was ready to leave town. I checked my bag and everything was there, nothing was missing! While I was at the hostel I left my laptop, charger, etc inside my room and again nothing was missing!

About the location:
The first time that you are trying to find this place is kind a difficult. The hostel is located in between an alley and a street. If you booked this place, for the first time, please make sure you get there before it gets dark , otherwise you will struggle to find it. Also, at nighttime the alley looks a bit sketchy. However, once you are familiar with the location, this place is perfect! It is right on the middle of everything, and there are cool restaurants and bars around it. Once you arrived to the Beijing airport it will take you at least 1hr and 10min to get to this location (it is far from the airport). If you are planning on taking the subway make sure you arrived to the airport before 9pm, since the subway station runs until 11pm (you can take the airport express subway $25 yuan, plus $2 for the regular subway before 11pm). If you can’t make it to the subway before 11pm, you will need to get a taxi to this location and it will be over $100 yuan (make sure you get an estimate from the taxi driver BEFORE getting into the taxi, since some of the taxi drivers can be dishonest even when they are using a taxi-meter).

Finally:
My last tip, before you used the bathroom make sure that it has toilet paper (it runs out quite often). But if you go to the office and they ask them for more, they are more than happy to provide you with some.

Also they have a small refrigerator (and tiny kitchen area) where you can store your leftovers.

If you stay at this hostel, and want a cool place to hangout, you can visit a local coffee – bar around the corner called “Beetle in a Box”, nice, cool and very affordable for a beer or coffee.

I wish:
That they had provided with towels (I didn’t ask for them either so I am not sure If they had them at the office).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janna R
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Located in an old HuTong in the heart of Beijing , very close to TianAnMen,NanLuoGuXiang Houhai and so on. 5 mins walk from the metro station and easy to get a taxi. it's actually a very cozy courtyard hotel, love their yard, feeling great drinking under the old big tree in a summer night. Clean and comfortable place to stay during the vocation. Also the staffs and their boss are very friendly and helped us by giving us best advices hanging out and the traffic, made us feel like home, the end tried their best to get us a taxi to the airport. Very reasonable cost if you want to stay in a courtyard hotel in the Beijing centre.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank SzeloWong
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's my first time to Beijing and I had to stay two nights in a hotel as my friend was out of the city when I came. She booked me at flowering house which is a tipical old Beijing style construction, called Si Ho Ruan. It is a so lovely place locating in Hu Tong, quiet, clean and safe. Just 10 mins from subway and the main foods street Kui Jee, where you can find wonderful Chinese foods till midtnight. Hotel manager names Long. He is very friendly and knows lots of his hometown. He told me many funny stories and also good advice to help me quickly scheduling my time in Beijing. He also invited me drinking Chinese tea with him and his friends. It was amazing experience. I never took Chinese tea in that way. They call it Cha Tao.
Now I moved to my friend's house. I told her my experience there and I am sure I will stay in flowering house again in my next trip to Beijing.
When I checked out, he manager invited me to join their Chinese tea time again with his friends before I leave. I feel sorry I can not. I will go back US tomorrow. I will miss my new friend, Long, and his lovely small courtyard in Beijing, flowering house.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Marco S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

It's an amazing courtyard with cosy nice rooms. Only 5min walk from subway line 5, 10min from a hilarious food street, 15min from the Lama Temple; but its quiet and calm living here. Trying the local lifestyle by living in Hutong, in local-style rooms and local food, it is so worthy!It was snowing the days I was there. Everything was neat and beautiful.
The staff were very helping: they were always there for anything you asked; they speak english well and can write and pronounce you the basic Chinese for your local adventures.
Living in the Hutong courtyard was syoer, just exceeded what i expected. I saw real local people living around, and felt like I was going deeper into the city.

Room Tip: ask the staff to pre-heat your room before your arrival, if you go their in cold days.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The pictures are a fraud..All the pictures shown on the website are of luxuy rooms while the normal room are like 8 ft by 6 ft in all...and they cost around 350RMB?..Ive stayed in much better hotels in other metropolitan cities in half the costs believe me. But this is not even an hotel..its named Flowering House HOSTEL.! You can't find it if you dont have any person who knows the way already..it in a substreet of a substreet..and the substreet is so small and you would actually wonder if im entering the right place..and guess what it is the last house on that streets. I usually used to come late from work in other hotels even like 12 at night..bt it wasnt a problem at all,,but if you come later than 9 O clock in this hostel, ghosts might fly you away..You can only see dogs roaming around at night..looking fiercly at you. My room was so small in 330 RMB that they didnt even have space to place a hairdryer and electric kettle..so they put it on tv. The bathroom used to smell alot because its window was connected to some outer side where their was an open manhole.and above all they dont have WIFI in their rooms...not even an wired connection...believe me..its all a trap. They just have a WIFI at their reception..and because i panicked alot for the internet..they gave me a room just besides the reception and told me to connect through that..The normal level of signals that i got was 2 dots which kept dropping now and then and i had to reconnect by getting closer to the door...

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tahreem452
BensonCai, Owner at Flowering House Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear friend,

It is obvious that your review is not friendly. I want to know what happen about you.

Laught at you, even if I should not do that as owner.

I can only say "you never know beijing, you never know Hutong culture."

According to what you said, You want to pay around 350RMB/night to sleep in the Forbidden City? You should know, pay around 300RMB/night in center city even if you stay at Inn.

It is impossible to be enough big room as you expect base on 100 years old house. Every room size have been indicated in website. Please pay attention to room detail info. Different room different price, don't see deluxe room picture and pay low price, then feel fraudulent.

I cannot believe you have seen ghosts in city center. It is a joke? Because you never know Hutong cultrue. I need not explain to you again.

I only agree with your opinion of room bad WIFI sign. Room what you said is located in courtyard corner. It is not good WIFI sign in room. We have updated WIFI. Now do not warry about it. Thank your alert.

Sorry for terrible experience of Hutong hostel. I suggest to stay star hotel according to your requirment, never stay Hutong hostel.

"Equality","Friendship","Respect" are our business philosophy. We try our best to serve every guest. We hope that guest gives us an objective review. Thank you

Hope you everything goes well.

Best Regards