“Excellent food”
Review of Dali Courtyard

Dali Courtyard
Ranked #28 of 12,890 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Asian, Yunnan
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Houhai
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Recommended by my brother who lived in Beijing. Food was delicious. All of it. Wandering around the Hutongs and shops afterwards makes for an interesting and fun evening.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

A very local experience and thoroughly recommend it. Lovely people looking after us. We opted for the set menu which was absolutely delicious and very different. By far and away the best food we had of the whole week we spent in beijing

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was taken to the Dali Courtyard on a recent business trip to Beijing. After a week of multi-course dinners and receptions, this was an unexpected delight. I can't claim to be an expert in the various styles and traditions of Chinese cooking, but I will certainly be looking out for Yunnan food in future. Not having a menu but just a few questions about food preferences and allergies, the food was exceptionally fresh and tasty. It focused on bringing out the natural taste and freshness of seasonal foods. Three dishes in particular stuck out for me. One a simple mushroom and chili mix. The second a salad with tofu skin. And finally an exceptional deep fried whole fish.

The setting is also fantastic, although at this time of year the courtyard is a little cold to try. It's not a scary to find as several reviews claim, being only about a block from the main road, but probably not the simplest place to locate without a local guide.

Well worth a trip, I will certainly be looking for a reason to return.

1  Thank Jamie H
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Armed with an address written in Chinese we failed to find this place. We asked couple of taxi driver to take us there we got the head shakes. Then our saint came by on motorized rickshaw with 20 RMB he zig zagged on the alley and we were finally there.
No booking of course as I despise in making a booking for a restaurant, eating should be unplanned unless you are going to have 10 ppl with you, we got seated within 30 seconds.
The service was awesome, we were asked if we are allergic to anything and if we want a lot of spice in our food. BYO wine corkage is 100 RMB, which is cheap considering their wine range from 300 - 600 and I am not too confident with their wine list.

No menu for your meal, the chef will decide what you get. So we were excited for our meal to come out. Course after course came and we were extremely satisfied. Our biggest thumbs up goes to the last meal served which was spiced whole fish and it was to die for.

Go for Dali beer to compliment your meals....just don't order coffee... It was too watery for my liking (I like mine strong). 6 courses , 2 bottle of beer, 1 pot of tea and 1 coffee came to 375 RMB and the food only cost us 128 RMB! We love the concept and the idea of this restaurant. I recommend this if you want to have a romantic night, away from the hustle and bustle of typical Chinese restaurant.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have been to Dali Courtyard twice now and I really like the hutong location and the display of the restaurant but I must say that the food is not up to par with for example Middle 8th and Lost Heaven. So if you are looking for the best Yunnan food this is probably not the place. If you are looking for an alright place in a cosy hutong, this is it.

Been to Dali Courtyard? Share your experiences!