Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Xisi Hotel(Beijing)
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsdumplingsdumpling partyxisi subway stationcommon roomdouble private roomdumpling makingmeet other travellersquiet hutongtea ceremonyhutong areagreat wall tourgreat place to staycommon areasyogurtrooms are cleanforbidden cityenglish speaking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was a solid little hostel located very close to a lot of good things in Beijing. It was easy to find, quiet, and full of character! To be honest, it felt a bit like summer camp in that all of the rooms face an inner courtyard and you have to go outside in the courtyard to get to the bathroom or common areas. Not many people were there when I was there, so not much atmosphere, but there were a few friendly faces and it was clean! Also, I cannot say enough about the staff. They changed my reservation for me a few times, helped me get tickets to an acrobat show, and helped me out when I left my phone charger at home. A solid choice.

1  Thank Ler8804
Reviewed April 23, 2014

A bit of a walk from the subway station and bathrooms are in the courtyard which means visiting in your pjs in the middle of the night which can be cold. However, the staff was fabulous. It was very impressive. Nothing was too much trouble. Will stay here again.

3  Thank GlobeSupernova
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was some of the most attentive service and hospitality we received during our stay in China. The staff at Chinese Box were always ready to help and provide any information that was at their disposal (and if they didn't know the answer, they were willing to look for it). We booked a tour to the Matianyu section of The Great Wall and had a fantastic day (no tedious sales stops that many other tourists had complained about in other hostel reviews). They recommended a local and cheap place to sample Peking Duck and we went back two days later for a second helping. They were remodeling some of the rooms during the day and the owner gave each guest some tea as an apology (a small but appreciated gesture). One of the staff members sat with us on one of the evenings and had a really friendly and genuine chat with us (really sweet girl). The hostel is located close to the MTR station and costs .40 US to anywhere in the city, which makes exploring Beijing cheap and easy. We started one of our mornings off by heading straight to the Summer Palace (about a 20 minute ride) since it is on the same line and then headed southward to explore the central part of the city (which is even closer to the hostel). I believe in a short amount of time, this place will be renovated and an even greater place to stay as our room while homey was a little worn and weathered. If you are looking for a relaxing place with great a great staff that is located in a convenient location, this is the place. Thanks Chinese Box!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sergio P
Reviewed April 6, 2014

After staying here for a week, I can see why this wonderful hostel has received so many fabulous reviews! The staff are so incredibly warm, friendly and helpful, and the hostel itself has a lovely atmosphere. It is easy to find, conveniently located for easy access to the trains as well as sightseeing places and being in the middle of a hutong, it has a beautiful and traditional Chinese feel to it. It was my first trip to China, solo, and I'm so glad I found this hostel, especially as a vegan. Vegan noodles for breakfast every morning was a great start to the day. There were various dinner nights as well, like Old Beijing noodle night and dumpling night, which are great opportunities to eat delicious food and meet other travellers. This amazing hostel really made my stay in China and I'll never forget the wonderful hospitality bestowed upon me by the beautiful staff.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this place. First time to Beijing, first time in a hostel, and first time travelling somewhere so foreign alone....This place helped make the trip exactly what I was looking for!! It was very clean, and very comfortable!! They had breakfast every morning and tasty meals a couple nights a week. This, combined with a welcoming common area made for making travel friends very easy and created a sense of home. The staff were AMAZING. They really made you feel welcome, and go above and beyond. I was often chatted up about my day and offered helpful pointers. One night one of the staff even rode his bike to the massage place down the street just to see if it was open for me as my feet were full of blisters :) The location of the hostel is perfect as well. Mere minutes from the subway and surrounded by sights to see. I also recommend the Jinshanling tour they can organize there for you, it was great! If I get to come back to Beijing, I would be staying here again :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo