“Nice experience”

Ranked #2 of 932 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Chennai
“Nice experience”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Was here at the beginning of January when it was freezing cold in Beijing and the API index 700! The rooms were provided with a little heater, but they still were pretty cold. The staff were helpful though giving extra blankets. I really liked the atmosphere here and I am sure its perfect during the summer time. I stayed in a mixed dorm but I think they have privates as well. Breakfast was okay, either eggs or muesli or toast with coffee or tea. Location is also good: it is very close to line 4 (2 min walk) and a bit further is line 2 (a 10 min walk).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wurmannsquick, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed January 5, 2013

pro:
embedded in a nice hutong area,
close to subway,
attentive mangement (helped us to arrange a trip to Great Wall, Gubeiko),
con:
no central heating in main living room, only those heaters powered by electricity ...
water pressure in showers was very low, but sufficient.

all in all: ideal for my 1week cultural stay in beijing ... i recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed in a private room for a couple.

What I loved: The English-speaking manager accompanied me for 40 minutes in the windy, sub-freezing temperatures as we tried to flag down a Beijing taxi--- amazing and unexpectedly customer service. The abundant hot water in the shower. The fascinating neighborhood. The large bed. The prices of beverages.

What I did not like: The rooms are very reasonable for backpackers but private rooms are way overpriced (about twice the cost they should be). The private rooms are spartan with no tv or luxuries of any kind.If you stay there in the winter, your room will be artic cold until the space heater warms it up two hours later.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here for a week in October and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.The staff are incredibly welcoming and helped us to rent bikes, organise a trip to a Kung Fu show and provided us with 3 free evening meals and a daily free breakfast (which was delicious!)
The hostel had a chilled atmosphere with a common room where you can watch DVDs and use the communal computers. I would not recommend staying in the dorm right next to the courtyard as this was quite noisy when the other hostel guests were sitting in the communal area but halfway through our stay we moved to a double room away from the courtyard and this was heavenly with its large bed and ensuite bathroom. This place is perfect for backpackers and I would definitely stay here again if I were to return to Beijing.

Room Tip: The double room with ensuite bathroom although a little pricier is worth every little penny- the bed...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I always use tripadvisor for my bookings and there have been a total of maybe 2 times where i have gone wrong with my selection of accommodation and unfortunately this is that one time
the place has so much potential and it falls short - this is what bothers me :(
I stayed here for two nights in Dec'12.
pros:
Affordable for central beijing - 15$ per head
Conveniently close to Tian'anmen square and sights - by bus 10 min

cons:
Staff - sometimes friendly, sometimes confused. Sometimes dont know what to do...
Rooms - cold. they have an excuse for a heater and it barely worked. Imagine sleeping when it is 10 deg F with a heater that can barely push it upto 40. When asked the staff tried to help, but then again, you can only go as far as you can with what you have,
My second complaint was that the showers had water that was barely warm.. really..?

On the brightside, i had the breakfast which was noodles and it was tasty and one of my mates had lunch there and it looked delicious.
They also hooked us up with a good tour to the great wall - mutianyu, which was awesome - great food and no shopping and friendly/honest guidance from the guides

they also booked us for an acrobatic show with pickup - their flyer said that you will be treated like royalty - well we got picked up @ 5:30 for the 7:30 show and were dropped off at 6 PM by our chinese speaking guide. what gives... we could have gone there by ourselves... quite easily.
The show was quite good though..

As I said before, the place/staff seem to mean well, but fall short, well short in some ways and that is a deal breaker for me. I would recommend staying at another place...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Located in a typical neighborhood, the hostel is in a traditional house with courtyard.
Staff is very kind and overall speaking english. Paying a commission they can provide you train tickets.
Deluxe dorm is simple and comfortable.
You can choose between chinese and western breakfast. As regards the second one, they should increase the amount of jam offering with toast.
It's a really welcoming place where you can enjoy a friendly atmosphere.
On friday, free dumpling party for the guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Foshan, China
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I really liked this place. It has a good backpacker feel where you can meet some new people and make newfriends and the owners are very friendly and warm people. It sounds cliched but you are welcomed like one of the family. The evenings entertainments provided are good fun if you wanna get involved. The quality of the food is great. I loved the private room i stayed in, it had a proper authentic feel to it, as does the Hutong area in which the hotel is situate. The hotel is near the subway and the main road that it is on is actually pretty good for shopping as long as you go in the right direction. The was one slight problem with our booking which hands up, was our bad but they hotel was great about it and really helped us out. I think i would definetly return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple