“Exactly what I expected - a great hotel”
Review of Michael's House

Michael's House
Ranked #48 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Vancouver
“Exactly what I expected - a great hotel”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

After reading numerous reviews on this site, we chose Michael's Hotel to stay in for 4 nights in late October. We booked 2 nights in the Emperor's Suite and 2 nights in the Standard Double room. We wanted to live like kings, but only for 2 nights :) And live like kings we did! When we arrived we went straight to our room and were delighted that it looked exactly like the pictures. A giant bed, small but stylish bathroom and our own computer with Internet access. We arrived rather late and asked if it would be possible to book a tour to the Great Wall at Simitai the next day. While we went out to grab some street food down the street, the desk clerk put it all together and we were able to catch mini-bus the next morning to take us to to the wall. All the clerks at the hotel speak English, some better than others, but probably the best English you'll encounter for most of your trip!

The hotel is about 4-6 blocks from the Jishuitan subway station, which is about a 5 minute walk and you only have to cross one major road. The hotel is located down an alley, which can make it hard for cab drivers to find when dropping you off, however, there are a million cabs once you exit the alley and the hotel is very accommodating if you need anything. We asked the clerk to translate some dishes we could order at a nearby restaurant, since most of the nearby restaurants are quite small and they don't speak much English, and the staff made sure to tend to any need we had.

They serve a decent breakfast that's part of your room cost and there's coffee and tea whenever you like it. And there's one main computer for hotel guests to use if you need to email or check directions. The hotel owner also wisely invested in a separate phone line that links directly to North America. This came in quite handy when I urgently needed to call Visa about my card. And the hotel did not charge me for the call, so nice!

I hope this review is helpful in making a decision about where you will stay during your visit to Beijing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Japan
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My intention was to book a private room, but I accidentally booked the "Private twin - Shared bathroom". I did not realize that this room was the tatami mat room, so keep that in mind with this review. I am reviewing the hostel part of this hotel, not the fancy hotel part, so bear that in mind. I've stayed in many hostels before, and this one was on the gross side.

The tatami room reeked of mould. That's just a problem that comes from leaving a futon in a tiny room all day without air conditioning (they turn it off when they clean to save energy). The snacks were well past expired (not that you'd come to a hostel for the snacks, but I thought I'd mention it). The room was situated right next to the street on the main level. Elderly women would take care of their babies right in front of the windows (close the blinds). If you are a light sleeper, the sounds of screaming children can wake you up super early (even if you are using ear plugs). All of those things are things you can deal with for a hostel, but what really grossed me out was the shared bathroom. There is only one shower tucked away in the back behind the kitchen. You have to pack a knapsack full of your clean clothes, towels, and toiletries and bring it with you across the lobby to the other side of the building. The one shower is used by both men and women hostel guests and the staff alike, so you can end up waiting in a long line for a shower. The shower door has frosted glass for privacy, but it's not all that private. Anyone who walks along the hallway can see a fuzzy outline of you. As a woman travelling alone, I wan't comfortable dressing in front of it, but had little choice. The shower drain is usually backed up, so you are wading in someone else's dirt (BRING SHOWER SHOES!). It was mouldy and the water pressure was reduced to the point that I was unable to get the underside of my hair wet. For the duration of my stay, I never quite felt clean. Plus, if you shower at night, you gotta walk across the lobby in your pajamas.

The location was rather far from the train station. maybe a 15 minute walk. In the daytime, this is not a problem, but at night, this isn't safe. At least, as a female alone, I really didn't feel safe walking around this neighborhood. People would block my path and start demanding information from me like where I was from and why I was there. I know that some of it is curiosity, but I definitely felt unsafe. It also didn't help that some taxis refused to drive down the hutong to the front door. They would drop me off at the main street and tell me to walk it myself. Walking down a dark alley at night is just not smart anywhere, but I really had no choice. Also, many taxis don't really know the location of the hotel. If you give them the address, they may understand the general area and take you there, but unless you have a cell phone that they can call the hotel with, you may be dumped somewhere. Definitely ensure that you are at the hotel before you get out.

Keeping that in mind, the staff were fabulous. Helped me with every little request from booking train tickets, to keeping my luggage at the desk. I really thought that they did a fantastic job helping everyone out regardless of what room they were staying in. They definitely make this hotel a great place to stay. The breakfast was also delicious if you can get there early enough. Very tasty and free!

Overall, for the price (50$), there are way better hostels out there. The hotel rooms may make this a great place to stay for a hotel, but for a hostel, you can do better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank Ihearttraveljapan
michael20100129, Owner at Michael's House, responded to this review, April 11, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at the Michael’s House, we appreciate the positive comments in regards to our staff and breakfasts from you. Meanwhile, please accept my sincere apologize for having a disappointed experience at our Tatami Private Room.

It is the only room in the hotel which is designed for budget guests and backpackers. Unfortunately, we were unable to make it as an ‘ensuite’ due to the limited room space. Indeed, we were not stopping trying to improve the undesirable smelling from the straw mat. After the new decoration and professional innovation of the mat material, the smelling problem is reduced effectively now.

Once again apologize to the unhappy experiences of the public shower room and thank you very much for the valuable review which made us truly understand the guests’ inconveniences and finished necessary improvements. We have changed the water drain and improved the maintenance procedures to keep the shower room a spotless condition at any time. The shower room’s window-door has been redesigned by using the color painted double glazing glass and the existed shower curtain has been replaced to ensure the guests’ privacy. After restructure of the guestrooms, the current “public” shower room has become the exclusive facilities for the Tatami Private Room.

Thank you very much again for sharing your precious comments with us and we look forward to meeting you again and to leaving you a bran-new memory at the Michael’s House.

Best Regards

Michael(owner)
sydney
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I stayed two days in the hotel, seen to back to home. The staff are very nice, and good service. They are very helpful for my trip in Beijing.
The hotel looks great, new equipment and comfortable bed which made me have a deeply sleep.
I would be back to there if i go to Beijing next time.
Michael's house is my first choice accomdation in Beijing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
HK
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed at Michael's House for 3 days earlier this month. The place itself is located in a narrow lane lined with street food vendors of every sort, which makes it difficult for a taxi to drive up to their enterance. It is also squeezed in by apartment buildings and the location does not really give a 'hutong' feel unfortunately. The house itself is a big enclosed courtyard surrounded by rooms: while clean and reasonably well done, it does remain a little dark and is quite small. Location is reasonable: it is about 20 mins by cab to Waifujing/ Forbidden City.

Rooms are what you would expect in a 3-star hotel: nothing fancy but good beds and clean linen and toilets. We felt that the price was a little high for the location and overall facilities. We found the staff very attentive and helpful, which was a plus. But for the price, feel you can do better in a city like Beijing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AniD1
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We spent about 5 days at Michael's House, and were very pleased. The room was comfortable and clean, and the atmosphere terriric. Lydia and Miranda were wonderful, helping us with recommendations, dinner reservations, directions, etc. Very glad we chose Michael's House over some generic hotel chain. It really made our Beijing stay special. Well located - easily accessible to downtown, but outside the fray of ultra-touristy hotel areas. Wonderful place; hardworking, helpful staff. Thanks so much for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Memphis
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We recently stayed at Michael's House in a small hutong in Beijing. Before we even arrived, I had emailed the hotels to book a Peking Duck restaurant for us that came highly recommended. Upon our arrival, the restaurant was reserved and we even had our own private dining room...wow, what service! The 2 deluxe rooms we booked were great, very large and accomodating. We also had a safety deposit box in our room which is always a big plus. To top everything off, we had massages arranged at the last minute the night we arrived. A 90 minute massage after a long day of traveling made our stay at Michael's House one of the BEST of our entire trip. Penne from Memphis, Tn.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have been living in this hotel for 3 times since last August. My kids call it our home in Beijing. I definetly could not agree with the negative review about it. It is quiet, clean and extremly friendly. My children were 8 and 9 while we first lived in this hotel. It was their first time to Beijing, China. We were living in another 3 star conventional downtown hotel, you could not see anyone after you stepping of the elevator except the shutting door. Except the sightseeing all us could do was locked in our room, watching TV, playing game. Unless my friend in the States recomand us Michael's House. As we walked into the beautiful courtyard, the kids were attracted by the chinese lattern, fish pond and the big comfy coutch. They begged me to switch our hotel right way. My children felt relax. safe, interesting here, and of course their generouse breakfast. All the staff were very friendly, especially Michael and his wife Joanna. they would chat with the kids and explain some chinese culture to them. My children had great memoties here. This Sepember was our second time to stay in this hotel. On afternoon as we stepped in the courtyard, there were roasting chesnuts, fruits and tea on the table, all the guests were welcomed to enjoy the autumn celelbration. All of sudden I realized that this was the real life of Siheyuan. That is the reason why we choosed to live in Michael's House.

It is a great hotel. Although it does not have the fancy lobby, but it is cozy enough to be our home away from home.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family