“Michael's House is the only place I'd ever stay in Beijing”
Review of Michael's House

Michael's House
Ranked #45 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 21, 2009

My husband and I loved Michael's house. Michael himself is a wonderful host and helped us figure out how to best spend our 4 days in Beijing. The staff are gracious and friendly, any help we needed was available immediately. They arranged a wonderful trip for us to the Great Wall for an extremely low price (only 1 other person in a newish van, and we had our own driver and tour guide for 3 people).

Michael's House itself is a refurbished authentic multi-generational Beijing home, and staying there made us feel like we were living in Beijing. The ensuite rooms are quite large, with a comfortable sofa and flat-screen TV (with HBO) in the living room area, and a large extremely comfortable bed in the bedroom area. The bathroom shower was comfortably large as well. The whole place is beautifully decorated and was spotlessly clean. It looks just like the photos on the website, but everything is larger in real life than it looks in the photos, which is great.

The neighborhood location is excellent, very close to the subway, which we took everywhere, and lots of access to taxis nearby as well. The nearby main street hosts a sort of flea market each evening, where local people shop to purchase low-priced items. My husband and I strolled through each evening and felt like part of the neighborhood.

There are lots of good quality moderately-priced restaurants within walking distance, and with a bit of a longer walk, there are some fabulous (though more expensive) restaurants on the banks of the human-made "seas". The breakfast at Michael's House is excellent also.

I would never stay in a typical western-type 5-star hotel in Beijing. The only place I'd ever stay would be Michael's House.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alis0nK

Reviewed October 18, 2009

My friend and I stayed at Michael's House in early October for 5 nights. We simply couldn't have made a better choice.

Our room was clean and quiet. Our beds had nice linens and were very comfortable. Breakfast was more than adequate. The staff were friendly and helpful. Michael and his wife were charming. Actually we felt quite pampered.

All in all, it was a great place to stay and we loved Beijing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Michael's House to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelchick05
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in September of 2009. One of the reasons we choose this hotel was because its website said it was in a traditional hutong area. This is not true. It was located among tall buildings, not at all a hutong area. At night, the street where it is located was very dark. The taxis wouldn't drop us off at the entrance because the street is too narrow, so we'd have to walk for a block or so. It didn't seem too safe, specially for a solo traveller. In the morning the street would be really dirty because at night many food stands would be along the street.

The hotel's location is also bad since it's far from the city center with lots of traffic. You waste about 2 hours each day just in transportation.

The hotel itself is a traditional hutong structure, nothing special. The room was really nice since we stayed at the Emperor's suite. Although difficult to get off the bed in the middle of the night if you're the person against the wall. We saw the other rooms and seemed small. The door to the room and bathroom were made of aluminum, not really blocking the noise from the courtyard.

On the good side, the service was excellent. Michael from the fron desk was really helpful and friendly. The breakfast was tipycal chinese and generous.

Good - service, emperor's suite
Bad - location

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lily30
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I and our university-student son stayed at Michael's House for three nights. We did have a little trouble finding the place, as the sign in English is not very obvious (dim light, and partially overgrown by plants). A taxi got us close--at the head of the alley, but from there we were on our own. Fortunately, we ran into some very friendly guys who asked around and found it for us. (In fact, we were very impressed by how easy it was to get friendly help, as compared with previous trips to China.)

Once we found it, we were very pleased. After we checked in, we were given plenty of information on Beijing and the places we wanted to see. Yes, as another reviewer pointed out, the breakfast is not exciting, but we didn't stay here for the breakfast anyway. It was enough food for us before we hit the road each day. We loved the room--a combination of traditional and modern. There was plenty of space for the three of us, and even though it looked right out on the courtyard, the thick windows kept out all sound. A public computer was available when we needed the internet. The staff were great--friendly and helpful. Sean arranged for a taxi to come at 5:00 a.m. on our last day to take us to the airport.

Without question, Michael's House was a great find. We'd stay there again in an instant. If you want a place with character, cleanliness, and friendly service--and at a good price--this is where you want to stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MoseyOn
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed in this for 3 nights during my recent trip to China. I decided to book it after reading great reviews on tripadvisor.com

I agree with others that this hotel has a lot of charm and character. I found staff friendly and helpful. I did not however see any other staff apart from the reception staff.

I stayed in the tatami mat (twin) room, which does not have a bathroom. In order to use bathroom or toilet facilities, I had to parade through the communal area where other people sat. This area also has a reception desk. I guess due to the layout of the building, there is not much that could be done about it, but it can be a bit intimidating.

My room was facing the street and it was sometimes noisy with some people walking by and talking loudly late at night.

My room has quite small, but pleasant and clean. It did have a phone, but the phone did not work. I was told by reception staff that I could receive calls at he reception desk, which I did. It did not however allow me to have my telephone conversations in private. I would have been much nicer of them to swap my faulty phone with one another room.

Breakfast was ok. There was a decent selection of food on offer, although it was a bit slow in coming. Breakfast was served as of 7 am, but some dishes only started to arrive half an hour later.

There is a computer with internet connection that can be used by guests.

Upon check out, I was presented with additional charges for 2 bottles of water, which I did not have. When I raised it with staff, I was told that I must have had it, as it was written on a sheet of paper by someone who cleaned my room. When I said again that this was incorrect, this was removed from my bill. I have stayed in 4 different hotels during my stay in China and this was the only one that did not provide free bottled water. For those who may not be aware, you cannot drink tap water in China.
The person who was dealing with me during check out did not know how to operate the credit card machine well and rather than cancelling my pre-authorisation, she charged it on my card again and then said that she could not cancel it and would cancel it later that day.

The location itself was quite nice. The hotel is located in an non-touristy area with plenty of night food stalls in the close vicinity. It is within a walking distance from a metro station and a bus station, from which you can catch buses to see the Great Wall.

Despite some of my comments above, I would recommend this hotel to my friends and I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I have travelled extensively all over the world, and have lots of very good things to say about this place. The service was friendly, and the staff was willing to look up information/maps on the Internet to make our stay more welcoming.

The rooms are clean, tastefully decorated, very quiet and with thick drapes, meaning that a good night's sleep is pretty well guaranteed. While it's true that there are some cheaper hotels in Beijing, this one offers excellent value. There's kind of a garden/comfortable chill-out area to sit and either watch the big flat-screen TV, use the free Internet or just read.

Once you get oriented, it's about a 10-minute walk from the closest subway/metro station, and the neighbourhood is lively, with lots of street stick-food and restaurants around, all at very cheap prices. Once you're on the subway, it's roughly 20 minutes to Tiannamen Square and/or the Forbidden City.

The biggest improvement to make would be the breakfast. It was okay, and buffet-style, but the hot-plates to keep the food warm were either turned on too low, or they didn't work, making the breakfasts cold. It might also be nice if they would offer drinks (like beer) for sale in the evenings. Most of the neighbouring places charge 3 RMB for a half-litre (pint) of beer, so something like this at Michael's House might be a good idea! For those who get up after 9:30 am, when breakfast finishes, it might be nice to still be able to have a free coffee.

My wife and I stayed for five nights, and as we live in Tianjin (2.5 hours away), are planning to regularly return to Michael's House. We're also recommending it to our friends and colleagues!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

best two star acc. ever been to!
Helpful,friendly,caring ,clean, .............. nothing negativ to say about!
Sean,Edward as well as Michael and his lovely wife,hope to see you again!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple