“A quite oasis among the hustle and bustle”
Review of Michael's House

Michael's House
Ranked #43 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed in Michael's House for 8 days, and spent time in a Deluxe Room as well as the Emperor's Suite.

The hotel is in a vibrant part of town, with many street stalls and restaurants to be found. It is an easy 10 minute walk to Jishuitan subway station, which is on the circle route that takes you to most of the major tourist sites. It is a courtyard hotel, but a modern reproduction rather than an old original. The rooms are nicely furnished and the beds quite comfortable compared to the normal rock-hard Chinese bed. A highlight was the very personal service of the staff and Amy at the front desk was delightful. As I found out from talking to colleagues, the car and driver we hired for half a day through the hotel was quite cheap compared to other hotels. The breakfast is just ok, nothing special, but enough if you don't eat big breakfasts. It would be nice to see more fresh fruit and maybe a Chinese dish. The Emperor's Suite was very lavish and the only complaint I had was the shower, which was very hard to adjust to the right temperature and did not give a nice spray.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves and the hotel is a good option if you don't like the uniformity and impersonal nature of large hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Michael's House

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at Michael's House for two nights - the hotel and my room were both very nice, clean and comfortable. Amy and Jenny were super helpful; from finding a place to eat to general information about getting around and even helping me book tickets for an acrobatics show. The Jishuitan metro station is near the hotel - I averaged about 15 minutes between the time I left the hotel and the time I got on the train at Jishuitan (including the time to buy the pass and place my bag on the x-ray machine). The subway is very convenient (and inexpensive! it is only 2 yuan per trip anywhere in Beijing). At night, the streets around the hotel liven up with street vendors who start grilling and the locals flock there for a meal. I felt pretty safe walking around the area, I would usually return to my room around 10 at night. The cab ride from the airport to Michael's (and vice versa) is approximately 100 yuan. If you are staying here, request the hotel address in Chinese via e-mail so you can show it to your cab driver (very important!!). Once at the hotel, they have these address cards that you can show to your driver at any time in case you get lost. I would recommend Michael's house.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2013

From the moment I walked in after long hours in the air, I felt my body relax. Jenny, one the office managers, had e-mailed us directions in Chinese to get there from the airport. The taxi driver had no problem finding this little hidden gem of a boutique hotel. When we pulled up, the staff was out there to greet us and help with luggage. Inside, it was everything I was looking for, comfortable, intimate, friendly and beautiful. Spacious rooms, comfortable bed and bathroom, air-conditioning, a cozy courtyard where you can talk to other guests, read or go online. The breakfasts were delicious, a spread of strong coffee, delicious fruit, eggs, bacon, yogurt, oatmeal - everyday, a little something new, with some local food thrown in for fun.
We stayed four days on our first round, taking the nearby subway to all the sites with no problem. The staff also organized hassle-free, small tours. At night, we walked around and ate at some the small restaurants, also getting a taste for the hum of the neighborhood. We traveled north for five days and returned to Michael's before our return to the U.S. I felt like I was coming home. In many years of travel, this was one of the best hotel experiences I've had, thanks to the great staff, a wonderful group of caring, smart women.

Room Tip: For a little extra, choose the spacious Emperor's room in a quiet corner of hotel and sleep unde...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusanaSoler
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Would generally rate hotel as 3 star and service as 5+ star. Many thanks especially to Amy, Little, and their colleagues. Our stay was very enjoyable. Rooms and beds were comfortable. Showers were a bit quirky. Breakfast was simple and pleasant. Only limitation was location respective to restaurants, shops, etc. we would like to be closer to in evening (given heat distance to metro and taxis were challenging). We very much enjoyed staying in an environment with character and excellent service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kate3
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. The staff most helpful, rooms very clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good. The hotel is not far from the subway and there are restaurants, markets and shops near by. I would recommend this hotel for its atmosphere and friendly staff

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kyella
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Very helpful staff! The hotel is quite hard to find initially, but the quality of stay makes up for that inconvenience. ALL staff members are generously accommodating, welcoming, and willing to assist. Many staff speak English quite well. It seems as if Michaels House is located about 5 blocks from the subway... So be prepared to walk if traveling by metro. The breakfast buffet is very good.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have stayed there about 2days. The room is very clean and comfortable. The location is in a hutong. Very quiet. The people are so friendly to help us. The rooms are China style. And there is a big living room, we have good breakfast at there. After tired trip, the comfortable bed made us have a good sleep.
Beijing is a crowded city, but Michael.s House is a relaxed place. I will choose here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends