“Excellent value for modest price!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Michael's House

Michael's House
Ranked #46 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
West Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent value for modest price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My sister and I stayed for three nights in a standard room, that was bright and clean, with supremely comfortable beds. We were greeted warmly by two of the young, intelligent girls who act as hostesses. They all have good English skills, are eager to assist in any way necessary, and do so with care. We were "high maintenance" guests, and they responded to our many needs (use of their computer, extra water, phone calls, help with taxis, meals, advice, and other sundry requests) with good grace and intelligence. We were happy with our stay and thrilled with the excellent service! We highly recommend Michael's Place! (The owner's wife was there, a lovely helpful woman who went out of her way to accommodate us, even driving us to a local restaurant and facilitating service from a non-English speaking waitress. We appreciated this and other courtesies willingly extended to us.)

Room Tip: The standard room we were in was ideal for us, as it was close to the courtyard, front desk and brea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Michael's house wasn't only clean, beautiful, and comfortable, but had the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever experienced during my stay at a hotel.

Upon our arrival we were welcomed warmly. The staff at Michael’s gave us a city map, as well as recommendations based on what we were in the mood for, whether it was food, entertainment, or relaxation. One lazy evening they arranged for food to be delivered to the hotel for us, and to my amazement they went the extra length to prepare the takeout food for us in the foyer as a three-course meal on their own dining ware for our enjoyment. Another night one of the staff overheard me saying I wanted to find a late nightspot for a drink, and took the time to walk me to a place I'd have never found before after her shift. I really felt at home here, and would highly recommend it to anyone, but especially those who a new to the area and not well versed in Chinese.

Location, atmosphere, and professionalism are all top notch at this hotel. The only regret I have for my trip to Beijing is that I could not Stay longer at this hotel. Thanks Michael’s House!

Room Tip: The standard double bed room is perfect for the lone traveler. However, if traveling with loved ones...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karibomb
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at Michael's for three nights with my 8 year old daughter. While the room was a little small, that is the only negative thing I have to say. The staff were wonderful and beyond my wildest expectations - warm and generous with my daughter. She really felt she was with friends. The lobby, which was an old refurbished courtyard with many of the rooms off it, was comfortable and inviting. We wrote in our journals there. The location, off an alley, was a little bit of adventure. Great street food down the alley and loads of character. If you prefer everything to be standard and consistent, don't stay here. But if you want to go to a place that shows you a Beijing neighborhood, and if something a bit different is preferred, then this is a wonderful choice. Highly recommended for families.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank GregoryPick
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This little place just was not for us When we arrived we were put in the smallest room you could imagine with the breakfast bar and lounge right on the front door so we had to keep the door shut and curtains closed. Eventually we were put into quite a comfortable room at a huge upgrade price making it the most expensive place we stayed in China and they were 5 star The one and only plus was the wonderfull young staff. The lovely Li Xuefei (Sophi) was a wonderfull help and great company aided by Amy and the other girls. They were the highlight of our stay there and I would not say to anyone not to stay there as some people dont mind being in such a confined area and the fantastic staff made it liveable

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wayanalexAdelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed a total of 4 nights at Michaels house: 2 nights at the start of a 3wk trip & we went back for another 2 nights at the end because we loved it so much.

I must say when the taxi struggled to find the location & then dropped us off down a back street that felt like we were in the middle of nowhere we were questioning what to expect. But as soon as we entered the door it was like we were in another world.

The staff were definitely what made the whole experience for us. All the other inclusions (like the things you come to expect from a hotel that are often lacking in Asia) were a bonus. The staff went out of there way in numerous occasions to make sure we were happy. They made u feel comfortable and at home. You were welcomed like family and they were genuinely interested to hear about how your day was and anything else that they could help with.
1. Organizing trip to Terrocotta Warriors in Xian: Without having made any real plans, we decided a day in advance that Our next destination was Xian. In order to make the most of our time there we wanted to book a trip in advance. We decided to book through a backpackers in xian but stay at a different place. How do u try and communicate this over the phone without speaking Chinese?! The staff at michaels house arranged everything for us while we spent the day at the great wall (which they got up extra early to have breakfast ready for us before we left!). They had to call me a few times due to issues & because my phone wasn't working they rang the tour driver!
2. They organized for us to go to opera show but accidentally gave us the wrong address. So when we went back to stay with them they prebooked us & gave us free tickets.
3. When we went back they upgraded us for free as they had no standard rooms available.
4. My boyfriends flight home was later than mine. So he went back to the hotel after I left. The owner had some friends over who had made some dumplings. She shared them with the guests. She then had her friends give my BF a free ride to the airport as they were going there anyway.
The above are just some of the main examples of the staff at michaels house going over and above. There are plenty more smaller things aswell. Just go & see for yourself. Don't forget to try the dumplings from the street stand on the same road aswell as the egg omelette thing which is on the way to metro about 2mins from michaels house. Oh and the Chinese massage place around the corner from Michael's house. Just ask the staff and they'll provide directions. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Shereen84
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Michel's House has been a great surprise for us. It is quite difficult to try and do anything in a crowded city where very few people can understand you. The staff in Michael's house, guided by the owner, Joanna, went further than anyone I can recall to make our stay pleasant, and to solve any problems we could have had , even at the cost of their spare time. Inteligent, resourcefull Amy, as well as Sofi, Coraline with their warm personalities, and the others [who even occidentalized their names for the sake of visitors confort} made us feel at home, at all moment.
The room was very pleasant, with many lovely details, decorated with great taste. The breakfast was served in the central space of this "hutong" reformed hotel, and it was hearty and beautiful. I liked the fact that the hotel was not in a tourist area, because we could watch the real life unfolding around us. The subway station was a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ofelia I
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Like other courtyard hotels in Beijing, this one is located down a small alley (which may be a bit hard to find at first). The courtyard here has been covered with glass and converted into an atrium/ reception/lobby/sitting room/breakfast room, with AC in summer.

The rooms are off the central atrium. They are very clean and air conditioned. The bed was one of the best I slept in in China!

I was a bit worried that there might be noise from the central areas, but this turned out not to be an issue: the rooms are well soundproofed and we never had a disturbance.

Location is good: nearest subway (Jishuitan) is about 10 minutes walk and is on the useful Circle line (Line 2).

Finally the staff here are very warm, friendly and helpful. Top marks for service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple