“Very Crowded”

and up
Private Great Wall Hiking from Jiankou to Mutianyu
Ranked #28 of 126 Outdoor Activities in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: we are a Great Wall hike tour operator based in Beijing and have trekked extensively to authentic Ming Dynasty Great Wall, and mountains in China.We specialize in access to off-limits places, steer you away from the tourist traps, tailor fresh experiences for any personality and specific interests.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Belle Mead, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Crowded”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The Great Wall of China was a great attraction. With breathtaking views, it captures your attention. You can see all of the nature around the wall. Also, all of the work put into making the wall. However, there are many people there. From the first tower to about the sixth, people manage to fill up the whole wall area. On the 7th tower, it took me to push through the crowd and pass through the tower, about 8 minutes. That's how crowded and slow it was. However, after you get to the 8th tower, it's a lot less crowded and you can move freely as you wish. All in all though, it's a great attraction and definitely worth going to.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank EricJiang

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A breathtaking, unique adventure”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My friend and I, both freshmen in college, decided to plan a trip to Beijing to learn about the beautiful Chinese culture and enjoy everything that China had to offer. We planned our trip with James, and he always responded immediately when we emailed. James is the sweetest tour guide EVER. A native of China, he speaks perfect English and has an incredible knowledge of the Great Wall and China. Unfortunately, my friend forgot to bring hiking boots and had to wear sneakers. It was dead winter, so the hike was freezing and icey...not very feasible in sneakers. She got very sick, but James came to the rescue! He had hot coffee ready, and even gave her his jacket and gloves. When we walked her to a nearby village, he held her the whole way. Such a kind man.

That being said, when James says this tour is for the physically fit, he means it! It was the most intense hike of my life, but 100% worth the sweat. The segment he takes you to isn't open to the public, so you can truly enjoy the nature in peace. It hasn't been restored by the government either, so you can see the Wall in its original form. I would highly recommend this trip for anyone with an adventurous spirit and a love of nature and history. One of the best experiences of my life.

Visited January 2013
Edmonton, Canada
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 460 helpful votes
“Must see Wonder of the World”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just breathtaking views. The sights & experience was incredible. You can climb the uneven stairs up & down for ever. Be careful as you can twist you ankle very easily or even pull a muscle or two if you are not used to climbing stairs. Very nice coffee shop & souvenir shop. Make sure your camera is fully charged & that you have a spare SD card. Also, carry lots of bottled water. Enjoy & have fun!

Visited October 2012
15 Thank SimbaMasaka
Beaufort, Australia
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“The Great Wall in Mutianyu”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great just what I expected! If you have enough guts, then claim the 1016 steeps to tower 6 , but I started to tower 8 and got to the tower 14 and think that was enough to me .the rest of the way to tower 23 was a stif claim of multitude steeps,lol. That was hard enough to get to the tower 14 , because there is alway the return trip, lol on the return I walked back then pushed my strain to tower 1 and forward to the old untouched wall Non tourist aera.Then coming back to tower 6 to get my way down. The all trip took me approximately 3:30 but a manage to walk slowly to make sure I could do the all trip I wanted.If you choose not to walk to the top take the cable car but is not included in the entrance fee, so be aware there is another Y$80 on top.

Visited November 2012
6 Thank Gheefrenchie
Sal. Cal.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A Wall for all.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hi gang. I know its been awhile. The continent of Asia is mind-blowing! The Great wall is amazing & awesome! Other than the freezing arctic winds cutting through my body, this attraction is one of the highlights of an incredible adventure. Of course you are amazed by the tremendous amount of effort as well as meticulous planning necessary to erect such a monument . In addition to the age, the length & the ability to see the Great wall from the Earth's orbit. This attraction draws people of all ages & all walks of life. I suppose many people feel the need to take a walk along the Great wall.

Visited November 2012