“It only gets two stars because of its location”

Zhotels Wangfujing Beijing
Ranked #3,464 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I swore that I'd create a trip advisor account and review this hotel during my stay in it. I've left it three months in the hope I could be more charitable but it hasn't happened. I've been travelling the world for the best part of 30 years, I've stayed in no star to five star in all manner of developing and developed countries and I have to say, that this is actually the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The location is great, but for everything else, you'd be much better off staying anywhere else.

The staff can barely speak English but the moment there's a problem they speak no english at all. The first room they put me in had leaking sewerage in the bathroom and not only smelt terrible but was so damp it was beyond unpleasant.. and they refused to move me for two nights. Finally on the last night they did and the room was ok.

I never got the internet to work through the tv, and there was no wifi in the rooms. The breakfast area was never lit (supposed for eco reasons.. yeah right) and I asked them to book a trip to see the kung fu show and the guide they used not only wasn't accredited and so couldn't actually buy the ticket but had to ring someone she knew to turn up to buy it for her whilst keeping me standing out the front for over half an hour but after finally getting me a ticket, then they weren't waiting to take me back to the hotel when the show ended, so I was stuck somewhere that I didn't know with no idea how to get back to the hotel.. and I waited for about half an hour for them to turn up and the theatre turned the lights off so I was standing outside on a darkened street. I did finally get back to the hotel and complained and no one spoke enough english to be able to understand what I was saying, and the woman who was their tour booker and booked the trip for me somehow didn't come back into work for all the remaining days I was there.

All up, this hotel is one that should be avoided. There's much better out there.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BeautifulSights
There are newer reviews for Zhotels Wangfujing Beijing

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed as part of an intrepid tour (wander the great wall).
The tour was amazing - highly recommend - however I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.
Why?
It's a bit dingy/decapitated. The bathroom wasn't clean, the shower leaked. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. No safe. There are signs in lifts saying "no prostitution" and we got a business card slipped under our door which may have been offering these services!!! There is only wifi in the lobby not in the rooms.

It is in a good location near wangfujing st, and I guess if ou were on a very tight budget it would be ok. If I did this tour again I'd just pay for diff accommodation in Beijing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katefrommelbourne
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a real eye opener especially after a late arrival. The taxi could not find it even with a map, we finally got dropped at what we know now is the end of the street/lane. There no sign of it being a hotel unless you look up to the top, and if you arrive late this is not on. Staff spoke very little english rooms all smell smoky. Beds are hard bathrooms are very small. I would not leave valuables out we locked our bags every time we went anywhere. It is used by a lot of tours for Intrepid so there are often a lot of westerns around. It well situated to Metro, Shopping and Attractions but if budget allows perhaps stay somewhere better equipped to handle english speaking guests.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldcoastgurl
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I booked the hotel thru www.booking.com which had the best offer and I thought it was such a good deal since the week before I stayed 2 blocks down the street at Prime Hotel. This hotel was $12 cheaper and teh reviews were good. To my surprise this hotel was still under cintruction, whth the first floor not yet finished. The room was very small, half size from Prime Hotel, the bathroom was som small, there was no room for my cosmetics bag! Although the room was in good shape as the hotel is new, the main proble with htis hotel is the SERVICE! Nobody speaks english with the exception of one receptionist I've met the first night. I tried to get directins to the pearl and silk market and no one could speak english, I ended up at the concierge desk at Crowne Plaza next door to ask for help. I couldn't believe it was possible for a hotel positioned in the heart of Beijing not to have english speaking employees. later that day I tried to do check out since I was leaving eraly morning and to my disbelief the receptionis could not understand what check out meant, I gave up, I figured the next morning they would see me walking out with my luggage and that meant in any language time to pay ;-)

Another big problem was the misrepresentation they did on their website. They said my room is a non smoking room but I ended up in a heavy smokie room, I requested a different room, they said the entire hotel is non smoking but I showed them they offer ashtray and maches in each room, now how funny is that/. They actually had a guy smoking in the loby as I had this conversation with them and they did not seem to care......needless to say I had to sleep with the window wide open, I wasn't sure which was worst, a filty smoking room or the extremely poluted air of Beijing coming thru the windows...
Bottomline, this hotel is a budget alternative but expect a poor service. Or if you want to spend $12 more a night stay at Prime Hotel, service was excellent and so were the amenities.....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank bella134
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I chose this hotel because of a friend's recommendation and was not disappointed at all. The room and bathroom were clean and well equipped and even slippers were provided, which I was not expecting for the price (only £25 per night for a double room!)

However, I would recommend booking in advance over the phone (and mention prices that you have found on the internet) as the prices for booking on the day are much higher.

The location was fantastic, just off Wang Fu Jing, one of the main shopping streets. It is a business hotel though so do bear this in mind if you stay here and many of the reception staff do not speak very good English so you may want to bring a phrase book!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Took a school group for a 2 day tour, stayed in this hotel, was very convenient, right in the centre of city, next to beautiful RC church. Very reasonable price and nice clean rooms. Breakfast not great but thats not what we came to Beijing for! Was quiet, but we had left by 8am each morning and weren't back untill late. Definately would recommend this and am going to stay there again myself in August.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank KernowJP
Reviewed June 18, 2009

NOISE ALERT 19 June 2009: Staying at this hotel for a few days as part of a tour (not my selection). Currently major works are being carried out in the building next door starting at 8am each day. Don't expect to be able to lie in though this - even if you are a heavy sleeper. Rooms small but clean and well decorated. No view out of my window (just a wall) so need lights on all the time. No dining facilities - just a building with bedrooms. Location is good (and would be quiet if the building work was not on).

• Stayed: June 2009