“A mix of pluses and minuses”

Park Plaza Beijing West
Ranked #157 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our tour group used this hotel instead of the Doubletree which we had been expecting. So I was disappointed with this choice. The good: rooms are ultra-modern, beds are comfortable (I like FIRM mattresses), refrigerator in room, umbrella and every bathroom convenience in room, spacious lobby, breakfast buffet, free internet access in business center in lobby, friendly front desk staff. The not-so-good: minor repair needed and reported in bathroom was never attended to, wait for food in dining room late at night was unbelievable; some guests walked out after waiting futilely for over 1/2 hour for food; room service alternated between swift and unbelievably long in response time; only moderate English skills of front desk staff.
Overall- experience was fine, but I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LaceAce

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I spent 6 nights at the hotel for a conference. The hotel is modern and clean, and the rooms are extremely comfortable and well appointed. I believe I can say it was the nicest shower of any hotel I've ever stayed in (and I stay in a lot of hotels). The breakfast buffet had something for everyone. The fruit in particular was very good.

Now for the down side. First and foremost, it's a long way from anywhere you might want to go. To get into town, you can take a cab or the subway. Beijing cabs are very reasonable, but while cab drivers are happy to take you into town for the meter rate, they don't like to go out of town, and will try to jack the price up. They start at about three times the meter rate and you can haggle them down to somewhere between the meter and 50% over. If you take the subway, it's the better part of a mile walk (or bus) to the Wukesong station, but that's line 1, which will take you right to the center of town.

Also, I have a lot to keep track of when I travel, so I rely on the internet, and the internet at the hotel was *horrible*. There's only wireless in the lobby and lounges. The rooms have only wired. The bandwidth is very slow and the entire network is down about 25% of the time.

I'm not sure if some large fraction of the staff was in training, but simple operations like checking in and out invariably led to confusion, animated discussion, and generally took much longer than they should have. This is compounded by the fact that they seem to do a lot of business with tours, so there may be big crowds at the desk. Allow yourself plenty of time to check out.

If you're coming to Beijing as a tourist, definitely look for somewhere closer into town. If you have a reason to be in this area, this is a nice hotel if you don't mind the bad internet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank cirejcon
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 nights in this hotel, which is a west of the center of Beijing. The rooms are large, very clean, and configured nicely. Probably the most comfortable bed we slept in during our China trip.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful, with lots of choices, including Chinese and some attempts at western food. But we enjoyed our breakfasts and they were great ways to start our days in Beijing.
The area around the hotel is quite safe, and there are lots of restaurants and shopping. There are a lot of students as well, since there is a university nearby.
It is located about 1 mile from a station on line 1 of the metro system. Taxis were plentiful and relatively inexpensive for local trips.
We had some issues that required us to call home to the US. The night manager helped us, and we were very pleased with the reasonable cost for a long phone call.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank David S
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Park Plaza Beijing West is far out in Haidian, not too near tourist spots. Still, if the distance doesn't bother you, the hotel is nice place to stay. Most times I've found someone who speaks English to help me, since my Chinese is lacking. I was worried about the air conditioning, since my visit was in July, and some of the reviews identified problems with A/C, but it worked well during my stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PalominoMadera
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is a 45-60 minute taxi ride from the airport. The hotel quoted us a taxi price at about 3x the going rate. Hotel was fine: clean, well appointed, good service, not luxurious but very nice. Free WiFi in the lobby, but signal was weak for a smartphone. We were with a tour group and their service to us was excellent. We'd come again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kent K
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the first stop in our 3 week tour of China. The room was better than 3 stars but not quite good enough for 4.
The positives are:
1. Helpful staff.
2. Good buffet for breakfast which includes Western and Eastern style food.
3. Located on West side of city close to a market and many yummy restaurants.
4. Large rooms.
5. Large bathroom with shower head in the ceiling.
The negatives are:
1. Dirty carpet
2. Maid did not clean carpet or floor of bathroom.
3. Did not have wifi
4. Could not control room temperature and the hotel turned off the air conditioning in the morning.

We would not return as we would seek a more luxurious next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oc_bear
Reviewed June 20, 2012

It was my business trip to beijing and our meetings were fixed at a place very near to the location of Park Plaza Beijing west, and so I was recomended to stay at the Hotel.I had a stay of about 6 days at the hotel and felt extremely comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business