“Harmony Hotel, Beijing”

City Line Hotel (Harmony)
Ranked #2,718 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 12, 2011

On our first visit to Beijing was to The Harmony hotel. This hotel is definitley well situated. It is close the Wangfuying area and very close to subway line 1. Which is the subway line which takes you to most of the attractions such as Tianamen Square, Forbiden City. It is about two stops to the Silk Market situated in Yonganli subway stop.

My first impression of the hotel was ok. It is a three star hotel and on our first visit to it we were three and they had rooms to accommodate us. I must say that on that first visit the bed were fine. The reason I say this because on a subsequent visit to this hotel we were given the toughest beds I have ever slept in. Not that I am picky when I travel. As my way of thinking for the most part, I am interested in the culture, sightseeing, shopping etc. which means that I am not very much at the hotel. Having said that, on our subsequent visit to this hotel we felt that we got a bad deal with the accommodations.

For the most part the ladies at the counter have basic English but I must say that they need a bit of customer service training. Not because they are rude or anything of the like, but if you ask them directions for something they are not really able to assist you. We were lucky that I do extensive research before we travel, and so I even find written directions in Chinese in order for us to show whomever we meet if we need to.

Other than that we felt that the hotel is very well situated. Around the corner you find small restaurants with fairly low prices. Close is also the Bejing Train station. I must add that it is constantly busy even at night.

Around the Harmony is very safe, we did a few walks at night and it was very pleasant. Oh, I may add both times we went to this hotel it was winter, so it was extremely cold. It is ok as long as you cover up really well. The weather in winter is a dry cold and you can feel it in your bones. But it is pleasant in that everyday we were there the sun was out, simply it was cold.

For us having travelled several times to Beijing we like the winter time as it is almost low season and all attractions are not as crowded as during summer. We did that to!....

Since there is no selection of when we travelled there we were there winter 2008, winter 2009, spring 2010 and summer 2011.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Aldis1726

Reviewed September 3, 2011

for a 3 star hotel this is good, location and great to start gap adventure tour. Can't complain

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nmihi1
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The general facilities and location of Harmony Hotel are good. You're less than 10min walking distance to the Beijing Railway Station and to shopping centres, there's a supermarket across the road and food outlets all within 200-300m. The hotel has all the usual facilities that you'd expect including a restaurant.

The only downside would be the bed - It was rock hard! This is a personal thing... I prefer something a little softer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Aron P
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The hotel is about 15 walking minutes from the Kreml therefore ideal to explore the city. The rooms are OK but not really in a good conditon. We expected more for the price.
Nevertheless it's a good hotel for one or two nights.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed here during the organized trip that started in Beijing. I must say, considering the price I paid, it's a good buy for a hotel in Beijing.

The room is basic but reasonably comfortable with good space. The bathroom worked properly. The hotel provides free wireless in the room and at lobby area. The location of the hotel is fantastic. Short walk to Beijing central railway and metro station. The Tiananmen and Forbidden City are also at reasonable walking distance. There are plenty of supermarkets and restaurants around that area.

I would really recommend this for no frill stay in Beijing.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank LeoLHR
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice and would stay again. It is really good value for central Beijing. The staff are helpful, the room clean, and the airconditioning works efficiently - essential in the brutal summer heat. Unlike other visitors, we found the beds very comfortable. The restaurant is good, if a little expensive. Stock up your fridge from the local shops - no need for room service at a much higher price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank review-contributor
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Heading to Beijing after 10 years, my best-friend and I researched a few accommodation options. When I last went, you wanted the best 'internationally recognized' brands or naught. Now it seems there's myriad options, all quite acceptable.

I would still have preferred a hotel that started in Sof and ended in itel, but travelling with someone who would ask a beggar for a receipt for the 1 cent donation she just made, ensures the Sofs, Hils, Meris, and Westis (my fave) are not on the cards.

This is how we booked the Harmony. My travel companion's preference was cost (not having been to China before), mine was location - the Harmony seemed a perfect choice. We were honestly going to be in China for a week (to celebrate my birthday on the Great Wall) and do the touristy things such as Tiananmen, Temple of Heaven, Silk & Pearl Markets (loving my new dolce and gabbana jeans!) as well as the new theme park (don't go).

The harmony allows you to do all of that on foot/subway or very inexpensive taxi rides.

The room was what you would expect for a 3 star hotel. It was sufficient, with a bit of a view towards the Beijing Railway station. Check in staff didn't really have an idea as to what was going on - though experience has told me that would not be different in any other (higher graded) establishment.

Food offerings were not that great. Within the vicinity for lunch and dinner you had a few touristy places in the railway square, or some local food-court style food outlets within the many, many, many shopping malls situated in this part of town. Having one of the few McDonalds in this area ensured an endless stream of caucasian tourists with their backpacks speaking more loudly than the sonic boom. Slim offerings indeed.

There are two exceptions to this however. The hotel's restaurant (which doens't look very appestising) has some amazing meals (freshly cooked) on offer, very Manchurian cuisine. Also, the little laneway outside the hotel has a window where in the mornings, Chinese crepes are made to order for the equivalent of perhaps 5 Australian cents.

Kudos also to the concierge/doorman at the Harmony who always had a smile on his dial, and would be able to figure out where to tell your taxi driver to go after a diverting 10 minute game of charades!

Sufficient for those on a bugdet requiring a centralk stay. Still, if a 4 star or 'name-brand' is not much more expensive, I'd probably be inclined to suggest that.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends