Ruyi Business Hotel Beijing
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$228
$144
$267
$212
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here with an EF tour. I liked this Hotel, it was nothing special but it served it's purpose. Our room was kept clean and organized. The beds were not overly comfortable, but that's often what you find in other countries. My only complaint was that our room was next to a construction site, of which the workers started their work day at 5:00am. :/

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LivingTheStageLife
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is a hotel used mostly for conferences and training groups, but should not be placed high on the list of options for the business traveler. In other words, if you can avoid it, do. It is rather old now, with no upgrade in sight. It is close to Capital Normal University (where my conference was held) and other business areas, but it is rather far away from the major tourist sights in the city. There is a regular bus service that one can use to get to the subway, otherwise use taxis to move around. There are restaurants in the vicinity, a supermarket, and some other convenient stores, but nothing to write about. The only major selling point for Ruyi Hotel is their great restaurant, especially for lunch or dinner. It is expensive, but worth it.

My room felt quite old; the electric system that operates the room shut down many times during the night, forcing me to call the lobby. Service was quick, though; the employers try to make it as comfortable for you as they can in spite of very poor English skills. On my stay, only one of the doormen spoke English, and mostly I had to wait for him if I wanted to communicate something difficult. And in spite of the obvious prevalence of organized tours and conference participants, this is not a true business hotel at all. When I asked for the business room in order to prepare and print a document, fully expecting a dedicated area for this purpose, I was made to sit in the lobby desk and a desk clerk just flipped his computer and told me: "this is the business room." Printing was expensive at almost 1USD per page. There is, though, one computer for browsing in every floor. No in-room wifi at the time.

Thus a very poor choice, even for this section of Beijing. One can do much better at the Shangri-La Hotel a few blocks away (located on the major highway). The university also offers room in the summer for conference participants. If you are stuck here, think positively: you will have the opportunity to explore an area of Beijing most tourists don't and practice your Chinese! People in the area were quite nice, food was extremely cheap, and overall it was a quite neighborhood (no constructions when I visited). Make it a learning opportunity. And try their restaurant, it's excellent!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank vicbruin
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel seems to be contracted by many tour groups in Beijing. I stayed here as part of an EF tour and there were at least four other groups staying in the hotel while we were there. I had a double room. Considering this, it was pretty quiet in the evenings (though I do use earplugs while sleeping). The carpet in the rooms needs to be replaced badly. I have never seen such horribly stained carpet in my life. The bedding was clean, though they beds were quite hard. Good for my bad back! The air conditioning only works when you are in the room, and never got below 22 C, even when on all night. In fact, it actually seems to shut off when on for too long.

The bathroom was small, but clean. However, the shower leaked like crazy leaving huge puddles on the tile floor. In general, the room was orderly and fine for our purposes (sleeping). But the hotel is pretty run down. Also, my roommate (stranger from my EF tour) left a Band Aid on the floor on Monday morning. When she checked out on Thursday morning (before me) it was still there. I'm not sure who should be blamed for this (I blame her mostly), but it does seem that the daily room service should have cleaned it up.

The hotel is not in a very good location. No easy access to public transportation, though taxis are available. There is a nice super market near by and a couple of good dining options. Also, the hotel breakfast buffet is quite good. There is a nice variety, with many changes throughout the week. The breakfast was better than any "business hotel" in the US.

Room Tip: Ask which floors the student groups are staying on and then get a room far way from these. It seemed the groups were staying below the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2012

+ room is big
+ helpful trainees
+ near wu mart
- car horns disturb sleep
- air conditioner does not work, room temp stays at 27degress Celsius
- no direct bus to city centre
- hotel only accept US and Canada currency for currency exchange

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Saedah
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This hotel is very economical. The room was clean and had a bathtub. I had just arrived in China, and I could not sleep the first two nights, because noisy construction was going on all night long from 9 PM - 5 AM of bull dozers dumping large chunks of concrete in dump trucks. After the second sleepiness night, I requested a room change from the north side of the building to the other side (South for those without a sense of direction) of the building but that meant giving up my queen size bed for a twin bed, if I were to keep a nonsmoking room and give up the bathtub. Interestingly, I passed by about a month later and they were still doing the same noisy construction all night long.

The weather was very cold outside, but our room was too hot and adjusting the thermostat had no effect on the heat streaming into the room. We finally just turned the heat off and the room was still warm.

Breakfast was only $5 per person, but it was very uninspiring and the brewed coffee was undrinkable, but not the worst that I have had at a hotel for breakfast in China. The Hot Club Spa Hotel managed to serve even a worse concoction because they never changed the coffee after each pot. They just kept adding water to the old grounds, but I can remember when the only coffee you could find in China was Nescafe so I am happy that the hotels are at least now attempting to brew it.

Checkout is very slow because they do everything by paper. The hotel reception is not computerized. English is somewhat iffy when you check in and out of the hotel as well.

I think there are better hotels in the area that are slightly more expensive but worth the extra money, especially as long as the construction is going on next door.

Room Tip: Avoid the North Side of the building until the construction project outside is completed or bring a good set of ear plugs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple