“Destination for Group Tours”

Ruyi Business Hotel Beijing
Ranked #2,583 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Eugene, Oregon
“Destination for Group Tours”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel seems to be contracted by many tour groups in Beijing. I stayed here as part of an EF tour and there were at least four other groups staying in the hotel while we were there. I had a double room. Considering this, it was pretty quiet in the evenings (though I do use earplugs while sleeping). The carpet in the rooms needs to be replaced badly. I have never seen such horribly stained carpet in my life. The bedding was clean, though they beds were quite hard. Good for my bad back! The air conditioning only works when you are in the room, and never got below 22 C, even when on all night. In fact, it actually seems to shut off when on for too long.

The bathroom was small, but clean. However, the shower leaked like crazy leaving huge puddles on the tile floor. In general, the room was orderly and fine for our purposes (sleeping). But the hotel is pretty run down. Also, my roommate (stranger from my EF tour) left a Band Aid on the floor on Monday morning. When she checked out on Thursday morning (before me) it was still there. I'm not sure who should be blamed for this (I blame her mostly), but it does seem that the daily room service should have cleaned it up.

The hotel is not in a very good location. No easy access to public transportation, though taxis are available. There is a nice super market near by and a couple of good dining options. Also, the hotel breakfast buffet is quite good. There is a nice variety, with many changes throughout the week. The breakfast was better than any "business hotel" in the US.

Room Tip: Ask which floors the student groups are staying on and then get a room far way from these. It seemed...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed March 16, 2012

+ room is big
+ helpful trainees
+ near wu mart
- car horns disturb sleep
- air conditioner does not work, room temp stays at 27degress Celsius
- no direct bus to city centre
- hotel only accept US and Canada currency for currency exchange

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Saedah
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed December 24, 2011

This hotel is very economical. The room was clean and had a bathtub. I had just arrived in China, and I could not sleep the first two nights, because noisy construction was going on all night long from 9 PM - 5 AM of bull dozers dumping large chunks of concrete in dump trucks. After the second sleepiness night, I requested a room change from the north side of the building to the other side (South for those without a sense of direction) of the building but that meant giving up my queen size bed for a twin bed, if I were to keep a nonsmoking room and give up the bathtub. Interestingly, I passed by about a month later and they were still doing the same noisy construction all night long.

The weather was very cold outside, but our room was too hot and adjusting the thermostat had no effect on the heat streaming into the room. We finally just turned the heat off and the room was still warm.

Breakfast was only $5 per person, but it was very uninspiring and the brewed coffee was undrinkable, but not the worst that I have had at a hotel for breakfast in China. The Hot Club Spa Hotel managed to serve even a worse concoction because they never changed the coffee after each pot. They just kept adding water to the old grounds, but I can remember when the only coffee you could find in China was Nescafe so I am happy that the hotels are at least now attempting to brew it.

Checkout is very slow because they do everything by paper. The hotel reception is not computerized. English is somewhat iffy when you check in and out of the hotel as well.

I think there are better hotels in the area that are slightly more expensive but worth the extra money, especially as long as the construction is going on next door.

Room Tip: Avoid the North Side of the building until the construction project outside is completed or bring a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My partner and I just returned from a nine night stay at this hotel. It's hard to make a blanket statement about the place. There were some great points and some not so great points, so I'll try to list the best and the worst.

The pluses:
1) I enjoyed the location. While not close to the tourist areas, it gave a better sense of being in a Beijing neighbourhood. There were lots of local shops and restaurants and very few Western tourists, aside from those attending the same conference at Capital Normal University. In the evening, the area comes to life with myriad street vendors selling all sorts of food.

2) The staff was friendly and did their best to solve problems. The staff always seemed genuinely pleased to see the guests and would greet us with a friendly "ni hao" whenever we crossed paths in the corridors, elevators or lobby. When we reported an issue with the internet connection in our room, someone was promptly sent up to check out the issue (at 11:30 at night)! When it was determined that the problem could not be easily solved, as the ethernet jack had fallen inside the wall, we were immediately given a new room and the staff helped move us, again, in the middle of the night. A staff member even came back to the new room a half an hour later with a couple of small items we had forgotten to take from the old room.

The minuses:
1) The beds are incredibly hard. I like an extra-firm mattress, but these were like stone.
2) The staff has very limited English. The best English speaker was the doorman!
3) The staff would not do some things that I consider basic in a hotel. They would not call for a taxi for us at 3:00 am to get to the airport, nor would they take my stamped postcards to put in with their mail.
4) While this is a four-star hotel in China, it's definitely not four star by Western standards. The rooms are carpeted and that doesn't get vacuumed too often. It's tired, dingy and dirty. One of the other conference attendees returned to her room to find five inch mushrooms growing from the middle of her room in the carpet!
5) No wireless internet available, which is true of every hotel I've ever stayed at in China. The internet worked sporadically, faster at some times and much slower at other times. (Again, this has occurred in all of the hotels I've been at in China.)
6) When you enter the room, you must insert your plastic key into a slot to turn on the electricity in the room. This is fairly standard throughout China. However, at this hotel, when you cut the electricity, you cut the electricity to the a/c and the mini-fridge. So if you're gone for a long day of sight-seeing, you'll return to a stuffy room with slightly chilled drinks. To get around that, place a subway ticket card in the slot, or any other plastic card that you're not using (not a credit card though...)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Michigan_Traveller72
Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I along with about 100+ foreigners stayed here in August of 2009 for a month of training. The hotel was clean and new. The staff was very friendly and ready to help with anything we needed. They offered a large breakfast every morning that was delicious. I want to say thank you to the entire staff for everything! I hope to see you again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business