“the services turned from bad to worse”

Pullman Beijing South
Ranked #137 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I'm very unhappy with the check-in process. Usually I'm not someone who will spend time writing comments at some past events. However, the accumulated unhappy experience from this hotel had lead to this comments below.

1. Services - at Check-in
It is common practice that the staff at the reception asked for the credit card for "deposit" reason during the check-in process. Normally the hotel will just swipe on the credit card to get a reasonable "deposit" amount and have never required for the guest signature on the credit card charge slip. However, this is the first hotel that actually required my signature on the credit card deposit slip. The first encounter was during my first stay with this hotel in April 2011. I have to really state my stand that I will not sign any of this deposit slip as they are not confirmed charges and none of the hotels which I have stayed before actually required my signature on the credit card deposit slips. It took me 20 minutes to convince and put down my stand for not signing the credit card deposit charges. The same incident happened again in my second stay in June 2012. I think they must have remembered me as during my 3rd stay in Aug 2012 they did not ask for my signature on that credit card charge slips but they did ask the same from my colleague who checked in later.

On my 3rd stay with this hotel, my flights arrived early in the morning and I have requested for early check-in. I reached the hotel around 830am. The hotel charged me for the half day accomodation. The money is not really the problem here, but the attitude of the staffs at the reception are really bad. I've tried to plead for the waiver for "early-check-in" charges, however, the response that I received was cold and rude. The staff at the reception (I can't remember her name, I think it's Ellen) just told me that if I want to get the charges waived I can wait till 10am and come back to check in again. She kept telling me it is the hotel policy. Is the hotel policy so inflexible? It is just 90 minutes difference, if you have the room, why can't you just check me in and waived the fee. The part which makes me angry is the attitude of the staff. I'm the guest and definitely do not deserve the cold and dirty look from the staff. I requested her to check with her Manager and she said the manager is just beside her, who is another lady whom I did not get the name. The manager's attitude is worse, she didn't even bother to look up from her computer and just replied coldly that they are just following the company policy.

I requested for the feedback form from the hotel reception at check-out and the lady who checked me out just pretend that she doesn't understand me and ignored my request.

2. Breakfast
during my last visit, the variety of the breakfast is still acceptable, however, the fruits selection for the full 3 weeks during my 2nd stay there was only Watermelon, watermelon and watermelon with occasional honeydew melon and dragon fruits. They have fresh watermelon juices in the last stay in June, and during my recent stay in Aug, no more fresh juices.

3. Location
The location of the hotel is super far-off from town area. If you have office around the BDA area, it may be convenient, but when it comes down to restaurant choices, you don't really have any around the area. The hotel is also not near to any of the attractions in Beijing. Another point to add, it is very difficult to get a taxi from the hotel to go to town area especially in the evening time. Depending on your luck, you may need to wait for up to 40 minutes before you can get a taxi.

4. Room / cleanliness
I would say the only thing that is still acceptable is the room. It is spacious and the bed is quite comfortable. However, the ventilation system is not very good. Sometimes the room will be "fueled" with seawage smell. I have to drip the eucalyptus oil all over my room to cover the unwanted smell.
At times, you will get towels with frays like it had been used for thousands of time.

Conclusion:
If you want a budget hotel and don't mind the service, and the distance from all the attractions in Beijing, you can give it a try. But frankly, there are so many hotels in Beijing with better value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tazzyW

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Originally we booked for a hotel downtown. However, a good friend of ours who is a local called up to meet us at the train station. To our surprise, he said he had also booked rooms at this hotel for us as he normally uses it for his corporate clients and he hoped we do not mind. Since he is such a nice gentleman, of course we went with him. And after all, it is a Pullman so our expectations are generally high

The first letdown is when we drove up to the porch. We unloaded bags and a few boxes and not a single soul bothered to come to help until we looked around for trolley. Then a gentleman in jacket came and he had a very unpleasant facial expression

When the luggage was delivered, even though one of us has tipped on behalf of the rest, the luggage chap was hanging around each room making us feel uncomfortable as we do not all have RMB

My room had a screw on the bathroom that cut my foot when I went in

One of the towels was really tatty/ frayed at the edges like what I would expect only from an Ibis

Best staff? The FO receptionist at night and Housekeeping. We came back after dinner and I requested for an adaptor. She was very efficient in ensuring I got the right type and so was the person who delivered. Kudos to them

Breakfast was horrendous. We were there around 9:30am. The coffee and tea machine - in huge metal jars - was either malfunctioning or empty. We highlighted twice before someone went to get us the drinks from some place else. Food was generally below average. Even fried rice was quite bland. There is no egg station. For the noodles, a Korean lady seated next to us when and ordered and they said the water was not boiling yet and she must wait for water to boil before they can cook!

When they served us coffee, it was with this trendy stirrer that is round plastic type and it rolled off the saucer on to the floor. The poor waiter appeared flustered and apologized and went to get a clean one. Perhaps they should find a better stirrer?

The waiters are friendly enough though

Finally check out. Everyone looked at you like they didn't bother. When it came to our turn, they merely continued talking to each other. So we left our cards on the table, said check out and seeing no response, we walked away

We sat at the lobby and waited for our transport. About 10 min later, someone came and explained that the computer is down. So they cannot check us out. And there is a lady seated in the lobby with a full tea ensemble who is busy looking down (not sure if she was playing handphone or something) rather than at any guests!

Overall, a decent product but service is a huge shortcoming!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank elfin27
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Upon arriving to the hotel, I had a good impression of the hotel because it looks new in western style at the lobby. When going into the guest rooms, I'm kind of disappointed - toilet door lock doesn't work. Curtain between bath room and guest room has dirt marks; soap, shampoo, etc are of low quality (like those supply from local China hotel). There is no directory to show the opening hours of hotel facilities; no stationery set (paper, envelope), etc. If I travel to Beijing again, I will try other hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank charmainemummy
PullmanBeijingSouth, Front Office Manager at Pullman Beijing South, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Pullman Beijing South. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Pullman Beijing South, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank zwfrem

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Have stayed at Pullman hotel in Bangkok but this Pullman hotel in Beijing definitely did not meet the expectations as a 5-star rated hotel.
Have requested for a twin bedded and double bedded connecting room but during check-in, it wasn't arranged and they even gave us 2 twin rooms. Proper explanation wasn't given and I was hinted to just accept it as there is a tour group in the queue waiting to check in.
Room is clean and spacious but pillows provided was just too soft (probably need to use 3 to have a good support).
Breakfast spread was decent but the quality is bad as compared to my experience in Pullman Bangkok. staff wasn't attentive and I need to walk to them to get the cutlery.
Location is suitable for business travellers but not for tourists as it is not near the city and the cab drivers are not familiar with this area, thus we have problems coming back to the hotel at night.
I must say this is a terrible experience for a international 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FooFamily
PullmanBeijingSouth, Front Office Manager at Pullman Beijing South, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear Guest

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Superb hotel, nice rooms and comfortable. But the service has a lot of room for improvement. Front desk reception had misplaced our bookings and we had to wait for 45 minutes for our room to be available.
Internet is available at the lounge area & not available in the rooms. Limited broadband experience at the lounge area as it double up for night cap/coffee at night.
Air conditioned is turned off at 3am for an hour which is appalling for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
PullmanBeijingSouth, Manager at Pullman Beijing South, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

've personally address the matter to our managers and directors on the issues you highlighted. We will take appropriate steps to improve the defects.

Searow Wang
Front Office Manager
Pullman Beijing South

Reviewed April 27, 2012

The hotel structures are nice and clean. The Service is poor for many different reasons. Restaurants and executive lounge in particular close earlier than the officiar schedule. Breakfast at the lounge is poor and chioce limited. On the other hand rooms are nice and clean, fitness room is vero good and the chinese and teppanyaki restaurants excellent (except for the closing time....)

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Lodo21
PullmanBeijingSouth, Front Office Manager at Pullman Beijing South, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Pullman Beijing South. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. and infrom the Restaurant Director to discusstion about restaurants opening time.