“Great Experience”

Ranked #32 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Dayton, Ohio
“Great Experience”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I travel to China frequently and have stayed in many different hotels and cities. This is one of the better experiences I have had. The hotel is quite recognizable making it easy for the taxi drivers to find. The lobby layout is somewhat awkward, but the bellmen and concierge were very helpful in locating the front desk tucked away some 20 to 30 meters from the entrance. Check-in was quick and efficient. I was in tower C on the 10th floor. I absolutely despise those elevators that require you to slide a room key into the tiny slot in order to select your floor. Yes, this was one of "those" hotels. Hopefully they will join the 21st century soon and use prox-cards like many other Chinese hotels. The room was fairly large, well decorated, with decent quality appointments.
The bathroom was very nice and very clean. No mold, mildew, or other signs of not being spotless. The amenities were only fair quality. The bar of soap was the coolest item, if that tells you anything. The toothbrush is single-use because it breaks so easily. But lets face it, we rarely use those things.
Lighting was good, as was the view of the city wall. Great for a morning or evening walk. Now lets get to the important thing - the bed. The bed was very comfortable with an abundance of pillows - 6 per bed plus the decorative pillow. The mattress is covered with a feather-bed, and the duvet was luxurious.
All in all, I would stay here again!

Room Tip: The view of the wall is best from rooms facing South if you don't mind the sun.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I used to stay here before the lobby renovations a few years ago. I Stopped coming here because I was charged for internet, and the front desk staff and manager were rude and unaccommodating even to a gold member staying at the lounge level. They claimed that every Marriott property set their own rules in regards to whether or not to charge. That was a load of BS. I let the matter drop because I had to catch a flight and later just didn't feel it was worth my time. So I just stopped staying there. I sometimes toy with the idea of going back but with there are so many other hotels to choose from in the area.

Solid Marriott property otherwise. I liked having the lounge wing. It's in an excellent location but that also has serious drawbacks. Traffic is impossible. Depends on where you go you should cross the street to hail a taxi because cars cannot turn at will. A 5 minute trip could take 30 if you're on the wrong side of the street. To be fair, traffic is bad everywhere in Beijing. But being in a traffic circle right next to the main train station... ouch.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Arden L
TalisaJi, Public Relations Manager at Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Arden L,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback regarding your stay at the Beijing Marriott City Wall.

Started from May 2011, Marriott International have launched a program for all Marriott Rewards member to enjoy complementary high-speed Internet access when stay at any participating Marriott hotel in Asia Pacific. As a gold member, you will entitle to have complementary internet access in our hotel.

Our hotel is adjacent to the east second ring road and Chang’an Avenue, at southwest corner of Jianguomen Bridge with easy access to the main drive way, meanwhile our hotel is also close to Jianguomen Subway station and the Beijing Railway Station. Whether take public transportation or by taxi, our hotel concierge is happy to offer proper service.

Again, we do appreciate your candid feedback to us. Your patronage is very important to us, I hope you will consider us should you ever return Beijing on one of your upcoming trips.

Sincerely Yours,
Talisa Ji
Marketing Communications Manager
Colorado Springs
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights last month (February 2014) as part of a tour. It certainly is deserving of its 5-star rating. We found nothing negative. The breakfast buffet is super with both Western and Chinese offerings with enough variety that we didn't feel we had to eat the same things each morning. Everything from steamed vegetables to fresh fruits. An ATM is in the hotel. The staff were friendly and readily broke down the larger bills.
LOCATION: Excellent for us as we took a free day to explore. The subway station is just one longish block North of the hotel. The station is at the junction of two lines so transfers at other stations are minimized or eliminated. HINT: When traveling, carry a small compass so you know which way you are facing, especially at night or new surroundings. The subway is clean, fast, frequent, and inexpensive (about USD $0.33 per ride) and at times may be crowded (caveat: protect against pickpockets although we had no trouble). The subway stations are near many sites of interest -- just check the map. CAUTION: When we researched the hotel's location on the usual internet maps, it appeared to be South of the railroad tracks/station and a bit of a walk to a subway station. Actually it is North of the station ... our room was quiet and we didn't hear the trains in our room or other areas we visited in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dlanor
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This is by far the nicest Marriott I have stayed in! I'm not sure how old it is but it feels brand new! The staff is so kind and always willing to help:) the rooms are huge compared to normal hotel rooms in china & their fitness/spa area is to die for! If you like to workout or just relax in the steam room, whirl pool, ect this is the place for you! It is also very close to everything & it's literally a block away from the subway! If I ever return to Beijing I will defiantly be staying here again!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mbbroyles
Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I visited this hotel with my family. what impress me a lot is the kinded waitress there. I have a 1 year boy together with me. each time when I have meals, he always be the trouble. But in the exicutive lounge, the kinde waitress help us a lot. she provided her warm and kindness.
PS, the Lobby of this hotel is so good that my boy like it very much.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel, including the spa, rooms, service, and bed. The pool was lovely, and although I ordered a massage in the room through a different place recommended from a friend, the prices for the hotel massage were quite reasonable. We did not try room service or the bar, as the prices were quite high. Instead, there was a CVS in the hotel that had super cheap beer, wine, and snacks! We had breakfast each day, which was a nice Western set up. The beds were super comfy as well, and the service by all staff friendly and accommodating. My only complaint was that when turning on the air or heat, a horrible smoggy smell filled the room. I am not sure if outside air was filtering in, or if the air filter was terribly dirty. Either way, it was enough to choke me in the middle of the night and force us to keep both the air and heat off. Location was ok, but quite a distance from everything that we wanted to see but was ok since we were on a tour with a coach. Other than that, the hotel was wonderful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie G
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was in Beijing for 4 days from 8th to 13th of March'14 & stayed at Marriot the wall city.
The stay was wonderful & the food was awesome.
The hotel is located at a very convenient location & from check in to check out everything is managed so well. They also have a good executive lounge facility for the deluxe room guests.
Beijing sub rail is at walking distance from the hotel & is very convenient to move around.

Anil

Room Tip: Room in Deluxe tower are better & are with the lounge facility.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business