“A pleasant stay!”

Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall
Ranked #32 of 6,596 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a few times and overall, it's quite nice. I usually book through Ctrip for their discounts (sometimes they offer weekend promotions) and check-in is often efficient. The staff there are also very friendly and helpful. Room are clean and just what I expected out of the Marriott Group. The two things that can be improved would be their eggs benedict at their coffee shop. For some reason, it's completely different everytime I stay there - sometimes it's superb and cooked the right way; but last time I was there (and that was just a few weeks ago), the chef obviously didn't know how to make this dish. The other thing, and a very important one is, I wish I don't need to pay extras for wifi in my room! It's really inconvenient and I would think a five-star hotel group like this one would offer this for free. But overall, it's a nice hotel. I would return again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nawal L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very good hotel. excellent location. very close to Tian An Men Square and Wangfu Jing walking street. Staff are friendly, the rooms are very clean and comfortable. the breakfast is just great. The reception was so helping. The only thing that may be considered as a disadvantage, was the internet connection which wasn't free. if you want it free, you should register your name online before arriving to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hesam D
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here on points, and as a platinum member were placed in the executive tower. The hotel was nice, but we honestly didn't love it. The hotel is very large and always left me feeling a bit unsettled. There is nothing cosy about the public spaces. The concierge lounge was very nice, well stocked and well staffed. However, the lounge was also always very crowded and hard to find seating. We ate in the hotel buffet restaurant one evening, but ordered from the menu which was quite pricey. The bill contained a hotel service charge which I didn't understand. The waiter insisted it was a tip for the hotel and not for him, and strongly suggested that we leave him an additional tip too. The doormen were very nice and had great uniforms. Our room was nice and contained an unusual interior window into the bathroom from the bedroom. Furnishings were a bit dark and dated for our taste, although they were well maintained. The hotel location seemed very difficult for taxis to find, and each time our drivers were making u-turns on side streets trying to get us there. I'm sure there are better choices in Beijing. Sorry Marriott, I normally think you're great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2LITravellers
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I stayed in Marriott Hotel City Wall for 7 nights. And here are the pros n cons
+spacious, clean rooms with all amenities one needs
+nice breakfast buffet with many choices
+friendly helpful staff
+good location, near to almost any sightseeing’s and landmarks(10min from temple of heaven,15min from wangfujing street,…)
+many restaurants near by
+ nice indoor pool
- Expensive internet
- I saw small insects in my room and I didn’t expect that!
- towels and mattresses were clean but they smelled bad
- rooms were not sound proof and we easily could here others

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank mehrnaz a
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I enjoyed staying at Marriott Hotel Beijing City Wall. I loved all the amenities, such as clean (and empty) pool, fitness center, and concierge service. One drawback would be choppy wifi internet from my room. It worked fine in the lobby area, but as soon as I went up to my room, all was lost.
My room came with a buffet breakfast and that was the highlight of my day. I loved all the assortment of fruits, hot noodle soups bar, and omelette bar. Everyone working there were friendly, courteous, and spoke sufficient English. Although it was located rather close to a train station, I didn't hear any bothersome noise at night. If you are sensitive, you can always ask for a room away from the station.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ajiasnowhite
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for the weekend. Upon arrival, which was swift, I was upgraded to an executive room. As I arrived around 10 at night, and wanted to travel to the Great Wall the next day, the concierge organised it all for me and early the next day I was off. The room was superb. All fine details that make your stay so much more enjoyable - the iphone/ipod charger which plays music and acts as an alarm clock, a universal plug socket from all over the world, an espresso machine (this is always a big tick on my list, as I love coffee), and the bed and pillows were so comfortable, I just sank into them. I had room service on the first night, as I was too exhausted from travelling, the menu is straightforward, not vast but simple, I prefer this, otherwise it takes me too long to work out what I want. It arrived with 45 minutes which Marriott hotels pride themselves on, it was hot and nicely presented. The next evening I ate at the Bistro which was a buffet. The price of this is was set at RMB 288 which is around £28. It was totally worth it. The seafood section covered the amount alone. There were mussels, scallops, whelks, sushi, I came out ten stone heavier and the wine is included-big tick! I must add, when travelling I tend not to eat in hotels, as I want to taste local food, and the Roasted duck restaurants are great. However, I have been in Shanghai for 2 weeks, and I was totally "rice and noodled out", so wanted something more international, and I certainly got it at the Bistro. The staff here have been trained very well. The little English that is spoken is well received. Where ever you go in the hotel, staff will greet you. It is these finer touches in the hotel business that I find will always make me return!

Room Tip: Executive rooms are a must!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank travelfanatic1982
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Excellent 5 Stars Hotel in a great location! Near to the Jian Guo Men Subway Station. From there you can reach the Summer Palace and Tian An Men and other nearby attractions in the City. I booked a standard room using the company corporate rate (below RMB500). On Check in, they upgrade me to a SUITE as my designated room is not ready! Wow and the room is BIG with a living room to boot off.

Only downside is the Broadband internet is not working. I am lucky there is wireless signal in the room for me to connect to the WIFI. Other than that everything is excellent. Great Stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business