“Not only the largest Marriott in the world, but one of the nicest”

Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall
Ranked #34 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I just returned from a five-day stay at this particular Marriott and was very pleased. My husband is a gold member, so we were upgraded to the executive wing, though we did have to pay 500 RMB extra for our second room (traveling with three kids and a grandmother). These particular rooms were really spacious with two king-sized beds (we had the bump-out as well which made it roomier).

My (minor) disappointments--We had requested non-smoking, adjoining rooms. As an experienced traveler, it has been my experience that most hotels will try to accommodate you when possible. October is the busiest month for tourism in Beijing, so we were given smoking rooms next to each other, BUT the rooms did not smell of smoke, and I have a very sensitive sense of smell and an asthmatic child, so it really was fine. Also, I would not recommend eating in the City Wall Bistro on the first floor. Service was unbelievably slow, and they were out of a lot of items (it was later on a Sunday night, but I had three hungry children waiting 50 minute for a not-so-tasty kids meal). Instead, opt for the upgrade and eat at the executive lounge.

What made up for it and why I gave it 5 stars: Great, central location. Clean, spacious, renovated rooms with very comfortable beds. The executive lounge--opt for your breakfast here instead of the bistro--quieter, same food and GREAT service, and a really nice happy hour. Free internet with membership or upgrade. Nice, quiet pool and spa. If you are a Marriott Rewards member, do not purchase a package with breakfast, the lounge has a great one with your rewards membership.

Room Tip: Rewards members do not purchase a package with breakfast. Opt instead to visit the lounge on the 16...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,931)

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed in this hotel on a group tour, with this being our initial hotel for the 23-day tour. This was an excellent stay for the first few days, with excellent amenities. There was an ATM onsite plus the exchange rate at the front desk was not that bad. Other than the adjacent City Wall remains, there wasn't much within walking distance except for an old hutong neighborhood (which is fascinating).

Room Tip: If you want easy access to the pool and gym equipment, try to stay in Tower A.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was happy to be a guest at this new-er hotel in Beijing. It was booked in conjunction with a cruise from Singapore to Beijing with a land tour of China, this is the hotel that Princess Cruise Line used in Beijing. I was there for a total of 3 nights and was very happy.

The room was nice, and big with 2 queen beds. I do have to say the beds were very nice, big pillow top mattress, and very high end sheets. Impressive! The room had a desk area and love seat. The bathroom had a glass window looking into the room with mini-blinds for privacy. The shower was big with a rain shower head, with very good water pressure. The counter space around the sink was a bit small but worked. The cleaning staff did a very good job at re-stocking the bathroom with more towels then you would ever need.

The room also had some modern technology with world power ports, video inputs at the desk for the TV, and PC VGA and mini audio also to feed the TV.

The Executive lounge was fantastic! The staff was very attentive and helpful, the lounge was always kept up to the highest standards. The breakfast buffet was like you would find in the restaurant. WIth a large layout of hot and cold items, along with made to order items in the lounge. This was also the case in the evening hours, a line of hot and cold food options with a kitchen right in the Executive lounge. Soft drinks and tea/coffee out all the time and at night the “bar” opened up. There was a nice selection of spirits out for the taking, most of the time the staff would run over to help. I wanted my typical Vodka straight up. The nice young girl in the lounge gave me a very full tumbler glass of straight vodka it was a lot. This would be one of the few hotels that I would say paying for an Executive room was well worth it!

After a long day of walking the Great Wall, we went to the lounge and just ordered some room service. The staff set a table for us, got the menus from all the restaurants in the hotel, not just the room service menu. So we had so many things to pick from. The food was quick and good, real good for China! Sure you pay for it, but man there was a bunch of people on our tour that were getting sick from the food at some local places. So price was not an option for me!

The hotel is very large and was not full at all. The rooms are very western and modern, the staff helpful and it was in a “safe” area around the old City Wall and the main train station. As I was on a tour we did not have much time to explore around the hotel on our own, but the area looked good. I would recommend this place to anyone going to Beijing.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank dcl80
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is by far the best Marriott I have stayed at in a long time!

The hotel arranged to have their car meet me at the airport which made the airport to hotel transfer simple.

I stayed on the executive wing floor and the room was very spacious with an extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was very spacious with separate shower and tub. The work space and desk were also very spacious. I could not gain a wireless signal in my particular room but a LAN cable backup was provided and access was free.

The Executive lounge was very spacious serving light snacks and free flow alcohol from 5:50 pm to around 9:00pm. This alone can save allot of money!

I only ate one night in the hotel at the Italian restaurant and was very pleased.

The staff I interacted with spoke very good English and I had no problems at check in or check out. I found it next to impossible to hire a local taxi during morning peak hours so I was forced to hire the hotel car to carry me to my office.

This will be my hotel of choice in Beijing.

Please click "Yes" if this review was helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2011

When I booked this hotel I was a little concerned about the location but I always know that with Marriott you can trust that the rooms will be clean and comfortable and that can be just as important. The hotel turned out to be beautiful, the staff was always there to greet you with a smile and most of the concierge staff were knowledgable and spoke very good English. We were upgraded to an Executive suite which was a bonus that included free breakfast each morning and happy hour each evening.

Our room was spacious although the view left something to be desired and the shades never really blocked out the light in order to get a really good nights sleep.

The hotel is located not too far from a subway station and very close to some shopping and fast food eating areas. Walking to the Forbidden City was a long jaunte however it allows for a great tour of the area if you are up for it. We highly recommend using the subway and city buses when possible because it allows you to "do as the locals do" and not be in a constant bubble of a taxi or hired car.

Beijing is a crazy city filled with so many cultural things to see and do as well as a bustling nightlife and shopping 'til you drop. Make sure to visit the Wangfujing night market and of course the Forbidden City, Tianamen Square, the Great Wall and a pedal bike ride through a Hutong. All of these things are easily accessible from the Marriott Beijing City Wall.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shootingstarr
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is the worst Marriott hotel I have come across.

At check in, we were told that no rooms available despite it being way past the check in time. After stating that it was unacceptable, a room magically appeared. As others have stated, this is a large and busy hotel, so be prepared for waits at check in, breakfast etc,

The first room we were given, contained a lovely surprise as we turned on the bedside lamp, with nail clippings all on the floor next to the bed. After calling housekeeping to come up and clean, no one turned up. We went down to reception to complain, and were moved to a new room, which had a fold out bed that had not been removed in the middle of the room, and then lo and behold more nail clippings in the bin and bathroom floor from the previous guest.

After speaking to the front desk manager the following morning, we were assured that the room would be cleaned properly. When we returned later in the day, the clippings were still on the floor. So this was now 3 discussions with the hotel in 2 rooms, and still unable to actually clean a room? In addition, the rooms have a musty smell.

Avoid breakfast, the service is slow, and the bread was stale. The quality of food and choice was poor for the price and standard of hotel.

Dinner in the Italian restaurant was good. The City Wall restaurant was again terrible, service again was excruciatingly slow, the couple next to us got up to get there own utensils when they could find no one, and the other table almost walked out when the food did not turn up for a long period. We walked to the restaurant entrance front desk to order our food after not being able to find anyone to serve. For one of the dishes we ordered warm apple pie, which was served cold. The waiter was unable to understand what the issue was, and only when showing him the menu did he agree, with no apologies.

The experience in this hotel went from one disaster to another. The staff have a poor grasp of English, and struggle to provide even basic customer service. Certainly not of a standard of a Marriott hotel. The only positives is that it is in a good location.

I would encourage people to avoid this hotel and find another.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I always think of myself as a good traveller willing to immerse myself in different cultures. But travelling in Asia can test anyone's malleability. I have to say that after touring through Beijing, I was so happy to see the recognisable American breakfast at this hotel. The selection at the buffet was very large and all ingredients fresh. The hotel is well located. Step outside and go for a walk to the left and you will quickly get caught-up in the chaos of the railway station. Not your scene? Just turn right instead and find the nearbye subway station. Or you can always take a taxi. On our adventuring there were a lot of interesting and foreign street scenes to explore but it was always nice to look up and see the Marriott sign acting as a beacon.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family