“Warm & Homely”

Ranked #81 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong
“Warm & Homely”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you were a regular business traveler to Beijing from the mid eighties, this hotel may hold fond memories for expat visitors i.e. Charlie’s bar, beers in the lobby, a steak in the French restaurant, Justine’s. Although this hotel is now fully under Chinese management (originally a JV) and does not have all the flash amenities of a more modern hotel now in Beijing, we found a warm and homely atmosphere still exists. The hotel underwent a renovation before the Olympics and thankfully, they kept it the same, all the above outlets remain. For the business traveler, rooms are abit dated in the sense that there is a lack of sockets within the desk area, somewhat small, nevertheless, they are still more than comfortable and priced accordingly.

If you are looking for a location on Jianguomenwei, close to China World, Silk Market and even the Forbidden City then this is as good as any. Yes, I will be back; however, I wonder how long more this hotel will exist since it is a low rise located in a prime area, which is now surrounded by new high-rise developments.

Room Tip: Garden Room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ANG L, Director of Sales at Beijing Jianguo Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Jianguo Hotel Beijing and sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor. We are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We hope to stay in business as long as possible and we hope to see you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've stayed at the Garden room for a few days for business last month. This is the third time at this hotel as I particularly enjoyed the cozy atmosphere there and the great location. Unlike other international chain hotel, it gives you a feeling of getting home. The balcony of my room is overlooking the nice water garden but it's a too cold sitting outside. It will be great for Spring or Summer time though. The room is nicely decorated and spacious enough. The front desk staff is friendly and attentive. They are efficient for both checking in and out.
The buffet breakfast is great with wide selection of choices and some cook to order items. I'll definitely come and stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Jianguo Hotel Beijing and sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor. We are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we hope to see you back in the future.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location, next to metro station Yong Anli. Easy to get to if using airport express or cab ! Close to Xiushui market n great restaurants around.
Fully equipped well maintained n clean rooms .
Helpful reception staff , western n Asian breakfast buffet good choice . Restaurant service a bit impersonal !
Great for business trip/ city trip !

• Stayed March 2013
hong kong
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I was nervous when company booked me this hotel as I know it is a very old Chinese hotel which generally provides at best mediocre service. But to my surprise, staff are very professional, much more than many 5-star hotels today. It almost gave me a feel of Mandarin Oriental's hotels - staff actually remember my name though I only stayed for two days and it was the first time staying there. The hotel facilities are old but kept well given the age of the hotel. Many new hotels have problem with the shower and bathroom that either water leaks from shower or has mold around corners of the showers or bath tubs. None of that was found in this htoel. The room is in good size and has everything you need for a business stay although I saw many tourists stayed there too. The hotel furnish is not modern but staff spoke good English. With that price, this level of service and location are great value for money. I will definitely come back to stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Jianguo Hotel Beijing and sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor. We are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that our hotel was above your expectations. We hope to see you back in the future and we also hope that your experience than will be even better.
Scarborough, Maine
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was my first trip to China. I read so many horror stories about hotels. I was on a business trip, so I didn't get to pick the hotels. I was NERVOUS.

The Jianguo was excellent. The best I stayed in while I was in China.I was perfectly comfortable and the hotel staff did everything they could to assist me. Everything worked in the room and bathroom. It felt like a hotel in the US. I only had a drink in the lounge, but the food smelled great and those around us seemed happy.

After dark the streets surrounding the hotel are populated by street urchins. We were solicited several times on the way back from dinner to buy watches, jewelry, and worse. Not a problem, but something to be aware of.

The hotel is located close to the Beijing subway-- which is excellent.

I would choose to stay at the Jianguo again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MarkHF
beijing
Reviewed March 18, 2013

A welcoming and friendly hotel. After three stays here it never fails in its professional standards.

The rooms are comfortable and clean and staff are always helpful. Breakfast is brilliant with a wide selection of Western and Asian dishes and the dining staff always greet you with a smile and escort you to a table.

A perfect place to stay in Beijing.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 14, 2013

first went to this hotel in 1987 when they had a beer garden outside. It was at that time one of the only international hotels in Beijing. I don't actually think any work has been done to it since. If it has, it is certainly not noticable.
On arrival, not one porter offered to help with my large suitcase - they just stood and chatted together. The Jianguo has an excellent location - that's it. I stayed in a "club floor" room. The club "lounge" has a fridge with soft drinks and milk in it and a coffee machine - that's it! No breakfast, cocktails or whatever you would normally find when paying a premium rae.
The shabby bedroom overlooked a decaying block behind where i could see into all the rooms as people slept, dressed etc. I kept the curtains closed.
The bed was uncomfortable and the bathroom absolutely basic with a flimsy shower curtain.
Finally, when i tried to book a hotel car, they don't have any!
I will not go back. Such a shame to have such a delapidated product in a city that has so many glittering international hotels. And if anyone's wondering why I went there i the first place, it was a corporate booking and closest to my office. There are much better value for money deals to be had in Beijing.